Weird power window problem

mloakley

Check this weirdness out..

I've got a 2001 Grand Prix with a passenger window that only goes down when the temperature is below 32 degrees. Worked this morning, not working now (it's been sitting in the sun, so the skin of the car is warm.) The motor doesn't even try to come on that I can hear.

I had two thoughts:

1) There's some crud in the channel. Squirt some lube down there the next time I can get it open. Problem: Anyone know if WD40 will screw up my window tint?

2) There's some kind of thermal overload sensor in the window motor that's malfunctioning. Have Pontiac replace it under warranty.

Any thoughts / suggestions / ideas are GREATLY appreciated!

TIA!

If there was a sensor that was bad, and you could have that replaced under warranty, why wouldn't you just take it to the stealership and have them fix the problem under warranty? Do you not have warranty on the entire car, or am I missing something here?

Also, I probably would not want to be spraying WD40 around window tint. That's some potent stuff right there.

When working properly, you really can't hear the window motor anyway. You should however be able to hear it click when the window up/down button is pushed. Do you hear it click?

Originally posted by Oak:

2) There's some kind of thermal overload sensor in the window motor that's malfunctioning. Have Pontiac replace it under warranty.

Any thoughts / suggestions / ideas are GREATLY appreciated!

TIA!

This window circuit may use a PTC or NTC thermistor. With a PTC, as temp goes up, so does resistance. With an NTC, as temp goes up resistance goes down. That could be your problem.

Guest racinbird

Not likely a temp problem, your motor/circuit assembly would raise temp way above 32 degrees after just a few seconds of useage, they can pull some amps, esp. those large coupe glasses. Typically all you have is an internal circuit breaker in the motor itself along with a CB for the entire circuit.

Does it go all the way down then not go up? If so most likely a switch, down but no up, or the "auto" down could be sticking causing it to over heat when fully down and blow the circuit.

If it goes down some then stops and wont move any further down or up then most likely a motor. If you can help the glass up or down with your hand then its either a weak motor or binding channel. I wouldnt suggest using too much WD-40 spray or the like, it could collect dirt/debris and make your problem worse.

This is a known problem with many, many GM products. I replaced the motor in my wifes car, only to have the other side go bad shortly after. They never fixed the design flaw, so it is of no use to buy new ones. Just get some junkyard units for $25 apiece and be done with it, until they fail again (which is inevitable). If you need a hand finding some, or advice on replacing them, let me know.