Marion International Raceway

iwishiwascool

i've never had trouble hooking there, but i've always gone on saturdays when the bracket race is. the do a little bit of prep work for that compared to the zero prep work they do on fridays. actually the one time i did go on a friday i got one run out of 5 that i hooked really well.

Originally posted by luong88888:

their tech inspection involves

1) you signing a waver at the gate and paying money

2) you putting shoe polish on your own windows

3) you staging without anything leaking or breaking

No lies there. The first time I went I didn't bring shoe polish they didn't have any so I had to bum some. Although marion isn't the best track it is still an alright trakc to have fun at IMO.

~Erik

they only "tech" on saturday nights and they only do it for the first 3 or 4 races of the year. the don't tech on fridays for the same reason they don't prep the track on fridays. they don't really care about the friday night stuff cause most of their money comes from saturdays. and there are quite a few guys pulling the front tires for not hooking at all.

Have you guys ever met Steve Cotten. I think that is how his last name is spelled. He drives a funny car now and he used to drive like a 63 split window vette that ran 7's. Well Steve always raced at Marion. He crased there about 12 years ago. He went off the end of the track into the field. Well the saftey crew at Marion tried to cut him out of the car with hack saws. He is paralyzed from the waist down now. Not saying marion caused it but there is always the what if. Maybe if they had better tech people or saftey people, who knows. But that is the story. I also had a friend that was racing there about 5 years ago. He had a spotless Yenko Nova. Well the car backfired through the carb and caught on fire. The car burnt for about 15 minutes before the fire dept got there. All of the fire extinguishers were empty. His car burned to the groung and was a total loss. He had just bought the car for like 20 grand and this was his first trip to the track with it. Another thing. If you buy race fuel there look at your jug. You pay for 5 gallons and get 4.25 to 4.5. That has been going on for years. I guess RCI and the other companies that make fuel jugs are making them wrong because Bill guthrie told me that their pump was correct and our jugs were wrong. Anyway we used to be regulars at Marion. We had one of the faster cars there and refuse to go back because of the lack of effort they put in to the track. Guthrie has stopeed by our work to find out how to get us to come back and we told him fix the track and maintain it a little better. That was the last time we heard from him. Most of the regulars that used to go there are gone now.