Need firsthand experience with XM satellite radio

Total Sign

I get it in rental cars now and again. I cant remember which I like better, there's sirius and another one. One sucks compared to the other. I would have it in my car if I needed to take long driving trips, but if I do that now I just get a rental. I would get it. A guy on the board has a receiver in his garage and it's on every time I go over there.

I have had sirius. Its pretty cool, especially if you travel a lot. Mine would go out under bridges/overpasses, but maybe thats because I didnt mount the antenna on the outside of the car.

I have heard for XM in some cities you dont even need an antenna because there is boosters around the city. I dont know if columbus is like that or not though.

If I had to do it over again, I would probably get XM instead of Sirius. Keep an eye out, a lot of times crutchfield and other places run specials like buy a setup get a year free or whatever.

I dont think you will regret it. The music is worlds better than local stations too. Lots of underground stuff and hardly any mainstream BS.

*also, make sure you get an XM ready reciever. Do not go through a FM modulator, because you lose a lot of sound quality.

Guest mudbutt
I love xm. I had the antenna in a less than optimum area (rear deck) and reception was great. It went out a few times when I would be in areas with a LOT of TALL buildings, even then it was rare. Drove through downtown dayton every morning to school, it would even work in the parking garage. Programming was pretty decent, with atleast 3 stations for most types of music the variety was nice. I just wish there were more than one metal station, but that is just me. Also a lot of the stations dont just play what is on the radio(though there are top 40 stations for that)If a new album come out by group X you will hear songs other than the single. I used to buy atleast 2 cds a week. The whole 7 month duration I had xm, I think I purchased 4 cds. I didnt realize how much I enjoyed it until I got rid of it

Originally posted by Mud Butt:

I love xm. I had the antenna in a less than optimum area (rear deck) and reception was great. It went out a few times when I would be in areas with a LOT of TALL buildings, even then it was rare. Drove through downtown dayton every morning to school, it would even work in the parking garage. Programming was pretty decent, with atleast 3 stations for most types of music the variety was nice. I just wish there were more than one metal station, but that is just me. Also a lot of the stations dont just play what is on the radio(though there are top 40 stations for that)If a new album come out by group X you will hear songs other than the single. I used to buy atleast 2 cds a week. The whole 7 month duration I had xm, I think I purchased 4 cds. I didnt realize how much I enjoyed it until I got rid of it

Exactly what I was looking for. As you drove under bridges/overpasses/etc it worked fine?

I borrowed XM radio for a trip across the PA Turnpike to the east end of Long Island last winter. The weather was terrible and we were out in the middle of nowhere, but I got EXCELLENT reception and really, really enjoyed the selection of music. I listened to an all-comedy channel on the way back for about 5 hours and was in tears because of all the old Richard Pryor and Sam Kinison stuff.

THE ONLY PROBLEM was when I drove in a major tunnel (duh!) in PA where they didn't have signal repeaters. Sometimes overpasses made it click with static for a split-second. However, when I drove through the Holland Tunnel in NYC (underwater for a few miles) I was surprised that I never lost reception.

If you listen to music, talk, or sports anytime you drive, XM is a worth-while investment.

Guest riggs867

I have XM and I love it. My sister has Sirius, and she is pretty pleased with it as well. I think if you look at price plans, especially when you add a second radio, XM really shines. They both have commercial free broadcast on many stations. I know XM re-broadcasts some large national FM stations, and you will get commercials on those, along with some of the CNN radio type stuff.

The music is great though. It uses digital compression (i.e. mp3) technology, so you don't get the "fuzz" of an FM station. If you are in the mountains, and you have a large piece o' rock between you and the South, the station will drop out. In large tunnels, parking garages, and concrete buildings, you will probably lose reception. On occasion, tall buildings can cause a problem too. Most of the time, it is awesome.

If you like music other than Top40 or the ten songs that the Blitz plays, XM is the best. You can find a channel for the music you like and go 24 hours without hearing one repeated.

I have had mine since XM hit the market (~3 or 4 years). I have the Sony that you can take out of the car and plug into your home stereo. I use the magnet mount antenna on my truck. The only problem I have had is the cooling fan makes a little noise when temps get below freezing. As soon as the truck warms up, it goes away.

Let me know if you want any more info.

I have XM in my honda (manufacturer installed). I haven't ever had a problem. I have had reception in lower floors of parking garages and in places where I shouldn't have signal.

They moved to no commercials in Feb and that made it even better.

Originally posted by HIgh Risk:

Exactly what I was looking for. As you drove under bridges/overpasses/etc it worked fine?

+1 I have had it for over 2 years! and love it! smile.gif I don't even bother with that crap on fm... The only outage I have had is sitting next to a semi in bumper to bumper traffic and parking garages.

I have had XM for two years as well and I have taken it on two cross-country drives (one from San Francisco to Chicago, and one from Columbus to Orlando). This is where XM really shines because FM stations will fade in and out, CD stashes wear thin, but the XM keeps on going! I've driven with the XM in downtown Chicago, but the repeaters kept the signal going strong. The only two places I've ever lost reception (other than long tunnels) are downtown Marysville (no repeaters and 2 and 3-story buildings blocking the southern sky), and Yosemite National Park. I would highly recommend XM to anyone who is fed up with the same old shit on FM radio and doesn't mind paying $10 a month for a little bit of variety.