Another block gone

86GT

Friday at Norwalk, I ran into a little problem. On my fourth pass, halfway thru 3rd my block decided to crack down the middle. I don't think I hurt anything else but the block. Looks like I finally get to buy a real block and make some serious power.

Originally posted by Neo:

Were you running a girdle? Do they even do very much or is it just better in the long run to go to a stronger block? What are you going to go with?

A girdle will just hold the peices together after they crack.

Originally posted by rl:

A girdle will just hold the peices together after they crack.

Cool, I was actually asking because I had heard some people suggest either way, that they can help and that they do absolutely nothing.

Are there aftermarket 302 (or even larger) blocks or do most people just go with something from ford but larger and stronger, such as a 351, etc. Would one be able to use the same parts on a 302 as some other Ford V8's?

Originally posted by little devil98gt:

He was running a stock block. That car was amazing!! Very impressive machine.

Wow, stock block. That's impressive. :eek: So when I build mine up, I will have some time before it cracks... ;)

Originally posted by Neo:

Cool, I was actually asking because I had heard some people suggest either way, that they can help and that they do absolutely nothing.

Are there aftermarket 302 (or even larger) blocks or do most people just go with something from ford but larger and stronger, such as a 351, etc. Would one be able to use the same parts on a 302 as some other Ford V8's?

There are a few good 302 blocks out there. You can either buy the Dart block which will run you around $2,000 or you can buy the Motorsport R302 block which will run about $1,600. I am not sure which one I am going to go with yet, I just know it is going to be one of the two. To answer your other question, I did not have a main girdle on the car.

Originally posted by Jelloman457:

damn nice...what are those blocks rated for anyways?

I am not sure what the factory block is rated at, I have heard numerous different ratings. I was looking at the 2004 Ford motorsport catalog and thay say the sportsman block, which is a little better then factory is now rated at only 450hp.