BMW vs BMW

Guest Rane

Originally posted by MRMEANR:

*EDIT* Just have to add... after driving European cars, Japanese cars, and American cars... the europeans are at least 2 or 3 years ahead of the rest in technology, and quality. My S40 isnt the baddest thing to ever come from Europe... actully its not even all that great compared to its big brothers/sisters... but i still wouldnt trade it for nearly any american or Japanese car because the driving expierence just isnt the same. I guess its one of those things you dont know untill you own one.

An article in the latest MotorTrend on the difference between perceived quality and engineering and refinement and reality. They cited a polling done recently with europeans on both their "desired" cars and also on their ownership satisfaction.

The reality surprised everyone: while the european cars were at the top of everyone's wishlist, they were at the *bottom* of the quality and ownership satisfaction indexs. The worst was Mercedes who was #1 in the wish list but like 3rd from the bottom (out of a large feild, 50-sih?) on the reality list. I think BMW and Volvo did ok and remained in the top twenty on the reality list. But in terms of quality, the Japanese makes (Hyundai too for that matter) blew them all out. The article said the euro car manufacturers are taking that very seriously.

Anyhow as for the european car ownership thing - we own a Saab. IMO - I agree with the recent studies: they're more "different" as opposed to "better". The "Better" myth bubble's been burst.

Thier suspension 10 years ago is just as good as your Mustangs, if not better. BMW never based thier cars on raw muscle. They built them to ride smooth, have second to none handeling, and to be luxurious... not to run 400m in a strait line then stop to brag about it.

Id enjoy watching your GT run around the track with a 10yr old M... nothing against your car or choice of them, but my money would be on the M.

*EDIT* Just have to add... after driving European cars, Japanese cars, and American cars... the europeans are at least 2 or 3 years ahead of the rest in technology, and quality. My S40 isnt the baddest thing to ever come from Europe... actully its not even all that great compared to its big brothers/sisters... but i still wouldnt trade it for nearly any american or Japanese car because the driving expierence just isnt the same. I guess its one of those things you dont know untill you own one.

I fucking hate you........jsut playing.....no i wasnt saying in context to say my mustang is SO much better. I was just saying that i didnt like BMWs that much. But thanks for taking my mustang down a few pegs haha.....Im still new to the whole mustang thing and trying to learn the car.

I have had the unfortunate privilege of owning two of Germany's finest and it cost me about $25-30k in depreciation over a two year period. The 98 Jetta GLX VR6 drank a quart of oil every 1000 miles and had numerous electrical glitches. I figured that all the problems that it had were due to the fact that it was assembled in Mexico. I loved how the car drove and handled so I figured I would be safe with a BMW. I then purchased a 2000 BMW 328I. It developed oil leaks after three weeks and was in the shop for two weeks to fix. A month later it developed a rod knock. So it went back to the shop for another 2 weeks.I figured at this point nothing else could possibly go wrong with the car...wrong. Two months after the knocking rod issue it started to develop electrical problems. The car would act like the battery was dead one minute then be fine 5 minutes later. That was it for me. I traded it in for a Acura TL Type-S and lived happily every after. Actually my wife did they were both her cars. It really was a shame because both cars handled better than any other car that I've ever driven.

Originally posted by jeep17:

just wondering for the sake of it...

of everyone posting which way and that which of you has actually driven say a 95+ M3?? i have and from every type of car i've driven i would definately chose an M3 over most of them.

im just trying to get an understanding cuz a lot of you are saying there not that great and may have never even driven one.

garrett

As a matter of fact, I have. I really enjoyed the 99 M3 I drove (on a fairl regular basis), But the 2002 leaves A LOT to be desired.

Oh, and for reference, Id rater have my dad's ZO6 over either of the M3's. Handles better, a lot faster, and IMO looks better. The only knock on the vette is it's 'terrible' fit and finish, but again, it's not to bad.

-Marc

Guest Redracerx
BMWs are not meant to be muscle machines because they don't have the big blocks used for drags. They are built for high speed road racing and do perform quite well in handling. If you want a drag car don't get the M. otherwise its a good choice.

Originally posted by LOVE MY BMW:

I can tell you a couple things.

Someone driving a Pontiac has no idea what a BMW is.

Car are cars. There's nothing magical about a BMW that makes it operate on different principals than all other cars. Nate's comments are correct, and if you have a problem with anything stated then offer up some facts to prove him wrong. You have 6 posts and already sound like a douche.

As for the E36 M3, I've been told they have a high rate of rear sub-frame failures. One thing that should be checked before buying, and inspected regularly if tracking the car.

http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=16938

Originally posted by LOVE MY BMW:

You are a fucking idiot!!! You drive a fucking Pontiac. Take your peice of shit rubbermaid slow car back to GM. Your post disgusts me.

please go kill yourself...

you work with a race team? they got a name a website a mailing adress hell I'd be happy with a phone number.

you got times for your car lap times drag times anything?

before you come here and decide to act like billy bad ass you might to actually think before you post.

my experience with bmw's is that just like any other car on the road at around 100k they wear out only the replacement parts cost about triple what parts for somethin made in detroit will run ya.

oh and I'll be happy to run rings around your beamer in my all steel full frame piece of shit gm built buick whenever your ready

but i still wouldnt trade it for nearly any american or Japanese car because the driving expierence just isnt the same.

did you just brag about the driving experience of a volvo, i mean maybe in the grandpa can't feel the road experience maybe

Originally posted by Car Enthusiast:

did you just brag about the driving experience of a volvo, i mean maybe in the grandpa can't feel the road experience maybe

I wouldnt call it bragging but i was pointing out a general fact... European cars are built to have an awesome overall driving feel. Driving the S40 is so much more fun than any of the other cars that not only ive owned, but others ive been able to drive for periods of time. Its just a much more comfortable, and sporty expierence.

Also,just so you know i wasnt braggin... dont forget to read...

My S40 isnt the baddest thing to ever come from Europe... actully its not even all that great compared to its big brothers/sisters...

Wow...this is one ugly thread....but I'll try to contribute with facts and not my opinions.

Rane: the 323 and 325 cars have the same 2.5 l motor...the 325 has a little better torque because of revised cam profiles but they're both listed as 184hp. The E46 cars got a bit fat and more luxurious than the E36 cars.

The E36 M3 would be my choice in your price range. The 95 was a 3.0L OBDI car as listed earlier. It will respond better to basic bolt-ons than the 96-00 cars. the 96-01 cars increased to 3.2L again...more torque but no more power (245hp)

The E46 M3 finally got the Double Vanos 3.2L that the European E36 cars had. 8000 rpm redline, 333 hp, ect. Yes it's a fatter car than the E36 but much faster too. With this car you have to realize that it's a GT not a true sports car. It's more of a compromise between an all out sports car and a luxury GT.

Guest Harris92

I wouldnt call it bragging but i was pointing out a general fact... European cars are built to have an awesome overall driving feel. Driving the S40 is so much more fun than any of the other cars that not only ive owned, but others ive been able to drive for periods of time. Its just a much more comfortable, and sporty expierence.

Also,just so you know i wasnt braggin... dont forget to read...

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />My S40 isnt the baddest thing to ever come from Europe... actully its not even all that great compared to its big brothers/sisters...

</font>Are you saying that its a fact that all European cars are built to have an awesome driving feel? Because I think we all know this isnt true.

Based on a shared Ford platform that will also underpin a new Focus, the new S40 replaces a model developed and built in conjunction with Mitsubishi and launched in 1995.

Guess that thing about EU being ahead of the US and Japanese markets doesn't hold true in this case.

Euro cars are built based on how a person feels about driving the car, not so much the performace numbers it puts up. The car could be slow as dirt and handel like shit, but if it looks good enough and is comfortable enough, people will buy it and talk about it... simple as that.

Just because car companies share plateforms or work together on projects doesnt mean the exact same parts go into every car they each make.

Ill take my volvo for instance... why is it that my S40 has more than 10 airbags, more computing power than the server this board is on, and considered one of the safest vehicals to be in during a crash, while no Mitsubishi vehical has applied said technology, nor gotten the same praise? Because they are 99% different in everyway. You know what mitsubishi did for my car... slapped on a tiny ass turbo with a gehy ass flange that is nothing like anything else on the planet... thats what they did.

The Ford platform being shared is also for versions of the Focus that we are unable to get. Ford US is not the same as Ford Europe. Just like GM is not the same as Opel or Vauxhall. Same company on paper, but not the same company.

Its all about business and marketing. You cant always look at a name, you have to pick apart the car to find out wether or not its worth a lick.