Strange noise when backing up

mrbret

Ok, So when I am moving my bike around in the garage etc there is a kind of clicking sound when going backwards only, not forwards. It sounds like the chain catching on the plastic chain guard but it does seem to be that. It is more than one click per wheel rotation though & it does it with the engine running or not.

I think it is chain related but not 100%....... Any ideas :confused:

Well the first thought is to find out for sure where the noise is...To isolate the rear wheel/chain area get the back wheel off the ground and spin it. If you hear nothing then it's not there...

I think I tried it with the rear up on the track stand & it still did it.

alot of times that noise is from the chain slider on the front of the swing arm. the chain is not supposed to move in that direction so it rubs it wrong. It could also be from chain wear, where your links start locking up and it would be more noisy backing up.

alot of times that noise is from the chain slider on the front of the swing arm. the chain is not supposed to move in that direction so it rubs it wrong. It could also be from chain wear, where your links start locking up and it would be more noisy backing up.

thats exactly what i was thinking at first with the chain slider, it should be adjustable, or you may need to adjust ur chain a tad tighter. (if it has slack)

thats exactly what i was thinking at first with the chain slider, it should be adjustable, or you may need to adjust ur chain a tad tighter.

If it is any tighter there wouldnt be any room for suspension movement. Ill look at it again tues night.

PS where are we going tomorrow?