06 Cobra?

Mowgli1647545497

Yuck. Look ma; the Cobra still has an 8' rear end and that damn "I wish I was in the 60's" styling.

It's sad the step backwards Ford took w/ the styling, as the 03-04 Cobra were the best looking Mustangs made in a VERY long time.

And anyone trying to compare that to the new Z06 needs to get a clue....seriously.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Folkvang:

<font color ="midnightblue"> Meh. Retro is cool in my book, the only issue is: what do you do with the model after that? Do you keep it retro? Make it more retro? Make a jump back to what it was going towards before you made the retro move? I'm sure Ford has a plan. I like what I'm seeing so far.

The next step is to convert the new mustang platform to a retro falcon.

BTW I think the new mustangs rearend is pretty cool with the factory PHB. No matter what they come out with someone will always complain. Either "solid axle can't handle worth shit" or "IRS cant get traction worth shit." The 8.8 isn't a bad rearend and with a PHB or Watts link solid rear axles can handle.

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

It's sad the step backwards Ford took w/ the styling, as the 03-04 Cobra were the best looking Mustangs made in a VERY long time.

And anyone trying to compare that to the new Z06 needs to get a clue....seriously.

Agreed completely on both points.

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

Yuck. Look ma; the Cobra still has an 8' rear end and that damn "I wish I was in the 60's" styling.

what's wrong with the 8.8? graemlins/wtf.gif

Originally posted by Scroator:

what's wrong with the 8.8? graemlins/wtf.gif

8' != 8.8"

I'm talking about the severe rear overhang behind the rear wheels, not the rear end itself.

BTW, everyone swinging off the new panhard rod the Mustang has; the F-body has had one since 82; not really a big deal....just keeps the rear centered (unless they found another use for it in the Mustang).

Stangs do have a little overhang in the back don't they smile.gif . The PHB set up is a major improvement over the 4 link set up of the last 25 years. I was just trying to get across the point that PHBs on solid rear axles can handle pretty well to all those who complain about the lack of IRS in the new Cobra.

Guest Varioram
Mustangs wont be around for too much longer with those stats... 450hp est. and 3600lbs eeek... need to hook SVT up with Jared from Subway. They cant honestly be hoping to go after Corvettes with THAT. I'm real sorry but unless Ford gets their ass in gear, with the Camaro and Firebird gone... It's just the beginning of the end. I'm not a big fan of either car but Mustangs can NOT take down the Corvette empire... (stock mind you and no bullshit limited editions) This is all IMO though.

Uh - Mustang sales are still going up. It ain't going anywhere. Corvette "empire"? No. Exclusivity, yes. Empire? No. The Corvette recently sold it's millionth edition. After 50 some years. The Mustang sold its millionth copy in March 1966. Two years in. Other than a dip in the 70s with that abomination that was the Mustang II, the original ponycar's sales have never seriously flagged. There's a really strong legitimate case to be made that the Mustang is "America's Car", like it or hate it. Its certainly the most consistently successful American car ever sold. And I'm looking around to see what internationally has had a better consistent run, and I'm not finding much...

The Mustang's near 1/2 the price of the vette and the Cobra 1/2 the price of the Z06. And they're moving off the lot. If I were selling these things I'd be partying in the carribbean right now.

I am not so sure that the intent of the mustang is to go after vettes. I think the intent of the mustang is to be a powerful/sporty car that the average person can afford, which coincidentally was the premise of the Ford Motor Company (except no "sporty" or "powerful"). I think that it has been successful at that for a shade over 40 years now. And yes the Mustang II (although the most hated mustang ever) still fulfilled that with the context of the period and the constraints of the late 70s energy crisis.

It is also noteworthy that this is the stiffest mustang platform ever produced, not to mention its front and rear suspension are a definite upgrade from past years. Heavy, yes, but I would assume that is the repercussions of keeping the price in check. A car intended to compete with the vette I would imagine would have 1/2 the seating and I will leave it at that.

Mustangs are not the fastest cars in the world by any stretch. But for a car to cause all this hoopla Ford is and has been doing something right. Price for price is the key, and price for price what else is in the Mustang's bracket? Eclipse maybe? The SVT version of the Mustang is not the fastest car out there either but at $40k what it has to offer is hard to beat.