Who Dies Next - Buick or Pontiac?

Mowgli1647545497

in my opnion.......Buick is getting THE AXE!

but as mentioned above they should cut GMC out too!

let chevy take all the trucks/suv's

and move Saturn DOWN a little in price and upgrade Chevy's fit & finish just a little to engulf Buick's miniscule(sp) sales, and all would be better in the world of GM......they just have TOO MANY identical cars with different shells!

last note....they need to let more of their cars have the OPTION of a FREAKIN manual gearbox instead of all these crappy mandatory automatics!

It will be the Buick, definitely. Oldsmobile lost the older generation when they stop making cars with bench seats. Sales went into the toilet. With the older generation dying off and the retro scene, Buick sales will go down to point where "Tiger" will not be able to help.

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

Pontiac?? PONTIAC???!!! How could you even think that would be a possibility? They released the GTO last year, the G6 this year, and the Solstice next year; companies looking to axe a division won't do that.

I'm sure it will be Buick. They just don't sell anything people remember; bunch of grandma cars. GM won't get rid of GMC; trucks/SUV's are their bread and butter, and getting rid of that division would do nothing but hurt, at the Chevy equivalent of all of the GMC models probably wouln't make up for all of the lost sales.

i dunno Joe, i'm sorry but Pontiac has sure come out with some ugly ass vehicles lately, and their attention to detail has always been shit(i.e. the plastic shitty interiors)..though i'm not a fan of Buick either but at least they have Tiger Woods as a spokesperson.

i've always looked at Pontiac the same way i looked at their Fiero...just left over parts from Chevy vehicles. back in the day they used to be their own company...but anymore under the management of GMC they're are just the fallguy. everything in their arsenal either looks like a Grand Prix or the Aztec(Vibe,hahaha).

and yes i have been drinkign...so what? you have a problem? 40mph roll, all motor...if not i know a guy with a GTO that's faster than you :D

Im guessing Buick. Just watching tv you dont see many Buick commercials. But there are a fair amount of pontiac commercials. They are bringing out new models and spending more money on advertising for Pontiac. And the advertising for Pontiac is always kinda up beat and fun looking. The Buick people have Tiger Woods, makes you think of a nice quiet golf course somewhere, may be exciting for some.

Originally posted by Mowgli:

After all - look at Ford. Ford doesn't need a "FMC" or somesuch psuedo-division to sell its trucks alongside Ford selling the same trucks. And Ford sells more trucks than all the other truck makers combined. 54% marketshare. Ford sells moretrucks than Toyota sells of all its stuff. And thats just the F series.

GMC could go and not hurt GM at all. But it doesn't look like its on the chopping block.

I disagree Lincoln has sell thier own version of of the f-150, escape, explorer, excedition. mind you they are high end verision of what ford sells its still the EXACT same vehicle.

EDIT: oh it will be buick that gets the axe.

Yeah unfortunately sounds like it is going to be Buick, the Lacrosse is a pretty big mistake, I love my 99 GS, don't know why Buick would get rid of the Regal, that was the only thing they had that appealed to anyone under 50.

I'm going with Buick. I've owned two of them, and they just usually don't put out exciting cars too often, though they have had a few nice ones here and there. (Anyone remember the Reatta?)

Buick's problem is their main demographic really has been older drivers, and that demographic is really starting to die off (literally).

Id like to know why Pontiac is all of a sudden the "PERFORMANCE" market of GM?

Who has always been first and best in motor sports in the GM corperation... Chevrolet.

Corvette > GTO

Camaro > Firebird (only because of its racing publicity)

Cobalt > Sunfire

The only thing pontiac has that chevy hasnt matched is the SSEI... but thats because CHEVY DOESNT HAVE A CAR TO MATCH IT WITH!!!!

Pontiac is always going to be the little brother that want to be like big brother SO DAMN BAD, theyll try anything to make it look like its so.

Just my opinion...

Neither one of the three (buick, gmc and pontiac) will be getting the axe for quite some time. I sell all 3 and we sold 121 total 61 of which are GMC's. The Envoy and Yukon Denali are leaps and bounds better than their Chevy cousins (TrailBlazer and Tahoe Z71). The only Pontiac thats selling a huge quantity is the G6 but the other models are selling fine except for the new Montana Sv6. Buick sales aren't great but in the central Ohio area Buick sales were 10% higher than GM's goal.

I've been working for a GM dealership for almost the past 3 years and a lot has changed. Gm has finally got it's shit together and sales are going up (thank God)

Guest mudbutt
Originally posted by eat shit and die:

you spelled it wrong its ASS-TEK but it is a good reason to kill off pontiac first buick never built ANYTHING that nasty ever....

rendezvous