V6 Mustang Power Adders?

Turbotrio

Got a customer interested in supercharger/turbo/nitrous on a 98 V6 Mootang and im in the middle of 100 other things so i figured id see who around here (MJxxxx comes to mind) has done anything successfully to one. For example: What kits have been proven to make xxx gains or run xxx or which are quality, relatively easy to install and which you have to pretty much fab everything yourself. Yada yada...

Thanks in advance!

For the money hes looking to spend i just told him to spray it but interested in any info i can get smile.gif

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/

http://www.moranav6racing.com/

but, 98 sucks. Mikes got a 99+, which breaths much better. If you have balls, try to sell him on a coy miller Engine. Stage 2 3.8 SC = 450bhp for just under $8,000. The "3.8 parts" wont fit the stang motor, since it is different from the super coupe's

98 is one of the worst year Mustangs. For the money im swapping to a 5.0 smile.gif for a 50hp upgrade you can do asplit port swap. that will put you around 200. with all the BPU . or BPU the car as it sits and it will feal a tad quicker. If its Auto - Gear/shiftkit/50shot/exhaust and run a mid 14.

After blowing up 2 of those 3.8's (94-98) I decided i was better off with a 5.0

If it's an auto it needs a converter BADLY. There are also internals from a 4.2L that fit for more displacement. There is a guy on corral.net running 10's with small turbos. There are long tube headers available. Stay away from dual exhaust; the engine size does not warrant the increase in cross sectional are of the exhaust. The links to which Eric pointed have good info on cams, etc. Let us know what else you find, please. Good luck.

They dont make kits, but they make rediculous power with turbos. A fellow SCT guy has a 200 v6 with a stock auto trans, stock motor and a simple twin turbo setup and its making mid 400rwhp and running high 10's...

We've tuned a few milder turbo cars and they rock, the suprcharger cars arent as impressive...

Originally posted by rl:

They dont make kits, but they make rediculous power with turbos. A fellow SCT guy has a 200 v6 with a stock auto trans, stock motor and a simple twin turbo setup and its making mid 400rwhp and running high 10's...

We've tuned a few milder turbo cars and they rock, the suprcharger cars arent as impressive...

Rob, I assume you are talking about Justin. He is a perfect example of how far a good tune can take a stock block.

Jeff, I sprayed mine. I have no idea how it didn't blow apart. I had the compucar "street heat" kit. You can find it on compucarnitrous.com. I put in some colder plugs and ran 94 octane.

With the jet they suggested I use for a 75 shot, I put down 120rwhp and 180rwtq over what I dyno'd stock. This was with about a 13.5-14:1 AFR. There is no real way to tune this kit- it sprays through the MAF. I dyno'd 278/380 and went 13.67 @ ~106. I put 20 bottles through with the AFR. :D

I would suggest a split port swap for your customer. I think it's fairly simple, and not to expensive. He could also look at swapping in the bottom end of a 4.2L truck motor. Guess it just depends on budget.

Guess you could also suggest swapping on a blower from a factory SC'd thunderbird. Like everyone else said, look on supersixmotorsports, although they are expensive.

Also check out:

http://www.v6power.net

http://www.3.8mustang.com

Sorry for the scatter-brained thoughts, hope that helps!

Oh one other thing,

The street heat kit can be made really safe, just use a smaller jet. It also takes about 15 minutes to install (seriously) and it costs somewhere around $350.

On my car:

.43 jet = +90/150 14:1 AFR

.55 jet = +120/180 12.8:1 AFR

It also comes with a .37 jet. I would guess its about a 50 shot, but I could barely feel anything when I used it.

The kit comes in a black gym back which sits behind your passenger seat. Everything is in the bag- jets, solenoid, bottle, etc. Then you plug a push button switch into your lighter, and the button opens the solenoid. It's completely controled by the driver. When you want nitrous you press the button. Just make sure it is over ~3500rpm and at WOT. You run a line through the firewall and into the air intake track before the MAF. Mine was in the fenderwell, so it was completely hidden. Ask the guys at Passen about that smile.gif

Nitrous sprays through the MAF and freezes it, which in turns tells the cpu to dump more fuel in to warm things up. It's pretty basic and not very reliable, unless you use a smaller shot.

Those are my experiences. It was a lot of fun to beat people and have them look over my entire car and not be able to find how an obnoxiously loud dual exhaust V6 beat their transam. w00t

Originally posted by The Stig:

The "3.8 parts" wont fit the stang motor, since it is different from the super coupe's

you may want to double check on that... they fit. you have to use the lower intake manifold from the supercoupe, but it fits. you can find them all over the place to complete with computer, intercooler, etc. only problem is you'll want to do some engine work first. you definitely want to put forged pistons in. the stock pistons will be destroyed quite quickly due to the boost the eaton m90 puts out. but it is an awesome project and lots of people have done it. its pretty sweet. i was seriously looking into doing it on my 96 v6 stang.

Guest sixpackstang
Originally posted by Razorback:

Agreed with the other guys, don't waste your money. The 94-98 V6 stangs have near zero potential. Save your money and try to buy something that has a little more get up and go.

Not necessarily true. Some of the fastest v6's are the singleport 94-98's, they just need some headwork to go along with boost. (Dan Haga's turbo 98)

On another note, I swapped out my singleport heads/intakes for splitport ones from a 2000. It can be done for less than $500 and was a pretty good pickup. I did all the work myself and I've never done anything like that before.

There is also a company developing lower intakes that can allow either the eaton m90 (supercoupes) or m112 (cobras)s/c to mount on a 94-98 or 99-04 3.8's. They SHOULD be done in the next month or two. (I stress should because they started this project like 2 years ago and several times said they were close to being done, but kept having problems with the co. machining the intake.) But they switched to a different company that is working out a lot better.

Edit: here's a link to the topic http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1469755#post1469755