LS1 vs. Chevy Crate Motor vs. One you built yourself

1Quik7

ok, i'm a little fuzzy on these crate motors, and exactly how they work. when it comes to carbs and cubes i'm as stupid as they come.

obviously an LS1/T56 slips into my car rather well, get the harness plug it in, tighten a few bolts and you've got a V8 swap.

so how do these "crate" motors work? there is no fuel injection, how do you 'tune' them? is there any benefit with going that way?

would you rather buy an LS1, send it off to Cartek and have it bored and stroked to a 427?

or actually build an engine, get a block, mix and match companies and parts...like all these old hot-rodders do?

Guest racinbird
Originally posted by Mowgli:

Put a supercharger on top of an LS6 with no other changes and "boom" is right.

If he's lookin for 600+ hp then he's going to have to do a lot more than that anyways

Originally posted by Mowgli:

Put a supercharger on top of an LS6 with no other changes and "boom" is right.

Ever heard of Magnuson? P1SC? It can be done. But you probably won't be hitting 600rwhp on a stock bottom end though. Not without alky injection and some balls.

Originally posted by 1Quik7:

i'd like to reach at least 600+rwp N/A, preferrably from a small-block if possible.

MTI can build you a 427 LS2 block motor that will put out 550RWHP N/A and it will be forged and ready for some spray, turbo, s/c....

well it's more like "fix what ya got now" instead of disgust. His car if he was able to get it working right as i have no idea why it's not performing up to snuff, is just insane already. You seriously can hear the thing growling from a mile away. It should be more than capable of 600 hp with what he has, just curious as to why he doesn't wanna finish it up.

the setup i have right now could very well make 600hp+...but it will only make 300ft/lb of torque and at 8000rpm...and it would probably only make a couple passes at that.

then i'll have a blown motor, the turbo will probably explode as well...if i sell all my parts as they are now, the swap will almost pay for itself.

Originally posted by Dr. Z06:

Hmm, how interesting, I'm thinking of doing a rotary swap in my Z06. smile.gif

What's even funnier was the other day I was thinking it would be hilarious to put a hoped up rotary engine into an F-Body. That would piss SO many people off.

Originally posted by Trouble Maker:

What's even funnier was the other day I was thinking it would be hilarious to put a hoped up rotary engine into an F-Body. That would piss SO many people off.

LOL - mullets would be in a tizzy worldwide.

Originally posted by Dr. Z06:

Hmm, how interesting, I'm thinking of doing a rotary swap in my Z06. smile.gif

Just pull 3 or 4 plug wires off, it will sound about the same and run just as well as a rotary.

Originally posted by ZO-SICK:

MTI can build you a 427 LS2 block motor that will put out 550RWHP N/A and it will be forged and ready for some spray, turbo, s/c....

Wouldn't you want a higher compression if you know your going to be using alot of nitrous? where as you'd want a slightly lower than stock compression when using forced induction?