Chevrolet announces 0-60 time and price of C6 Z06

Guest DagoRcR

Guest DagoRcR

Posted Date: 6/14/05

Chevrolet has announced pricing and 0 to 60 times for its upcoming 505-horsepower 2006 Corvette Z06. According to Chevy, the vehicle breaks the four-second barrier from 0 to 60, with a time of 3.7 seconds while still in first gear. Pricing for the newest Z06 will start at $65,800, including destination and freight charges.

“The new Corvette Z06 is the dividend from competing so successfully in endurance racing,” said Dave Hill, Corvette’s chief engineer. “It combines the strong attributes of the new, sixth-generation Corvette with the spirit, technology and know-how from the race program to form an American supercar with outstanding credentials.”

The Z06 will be available in the fourth quarter of 2005.

Previous Corvette Z06 models, from the original 1963 model to the 2001-04 editions, incorporated suspension and engine upgrades that complemented existing Corvette systems. The 2006 Corvette Z06 is more differentiated from the standard Corvette than any other Z06 in history, according to Chevy. Use of weight-saving materials such as carbon fiber, aluminum, titanium and magnesium give the 3,132-pound car a weight-to-power ratio of 6.2 pounds per horsepower, helping it to its impressive 0 to 60 time.

http://autoweek.com/images/global/header-inside.gif

Originally posted by Homey D. Clown:

Little more than I was hoping, but oh well. It will be mine.

That's a stripper model too; I don't even think it has a radio. You're looking at $71k fully loaded. That’s still a hell of a lot of car for that much money?

Who really didn't 'know' this is about what it was going to cost? graemlins/wtf.gif

Originally posted by Trouble Maker:

That's a stripper model too; I don't even think it has a radio.

Ummm....no. According to GM's kit I got about the Z06, the lower of the Z06 models is the 1LZ option package, which should be the lowest price model. Of that, the following stuff isn't available:

- Auto dim mirrors

- Heated Seats

- Homelink Transmitter

- Luggage shade/parcel net

- Memory Package

- Power Telescoping Steering wheel

- Side airbags

And optional on the 1LZ package are:

- Bose upgrade w/ 6-disc changer and XM radio

- Navigation system (which is also an option on the top tier 2LZ Z06)

- Front plate mounting kit (also 2LZ option)

- Polished rims (again, another 2LZ option).

Hardly a stripper model. I don't consider cars w/ Xenon headlights, dual zone climate control w/ cabin filtration, heated mirrors, power mirrors/windows/locks, CD w/ MP3 player, heads up display, active handling control, cruise, etc. stripper models.

The 1LZ Z06 still costs less than a base of base model 911's, and the basic loaded down Z51 C6 has been proven to not have a problem w/ that car. smile.gif

Gotta remember, this Z06 has a LOT of upgrades over the 04 Z06 and standard C6.

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

According to GM's kit I got about the Z06, the lower of the Z06 models is the 1LZ option package, which should be the lowest price model. Of that, the following stuff isn't available:

- Auto dim mirrors

- Heated Seats

- Homelink Transmitter

- Luggage shade/parcel net

- Memory Package

- Power Telescoping Steering wheel

- Side airbags

Cool, I didn't know what that package consisted of. I knew it had some of those other things from what I had read, but someone had told me the base Z06 wouldn’t have a radio. That wouldn't have surprised me too much. Even with Zenon's, and power windows, I'd consider any car now without a radio lacking in the creature comforts. Glad to hear they didn't go 'cheap' on the base model.

Yeah, it is going to be a bad ass car. I just hope they succeed in selling it. That's an expensive Corvette, even if it beats cars that are much more expensive than it.

I got to see the silver one in person at Mid Ohio. Soooo mean looking.

I think the price is pretty spot-on. IIRC, that's approx the price of the ZR1. And the ZR1 was a car built from 90-95, so that's 11-16 years older, when cars tended to cost a bit less. smile.gif

Add in the fact that even the late (aka fastest) ZR1's are pretty much topped by a standard C6, which also has a lot more creature comforts), this new Z06 should get it done nicely.

Simply put, you could take a standard FRC C5 and realisticly do most of the mods to bring it to near Z06 specs without going too insane about the whole process. You can't even come close to doing that w/ a standard C6 compared to this new Z06. The fact it has similar power to a Viper while weighing a few hundred pounds less isn't nothing to sneeze at either. smile.gif