06' Z06

tandm

Originally posted by Tinman:

In all of this talk about magnesium, you must remember that all of the metals that go into car are alloys. Pure magnesium will burn and do all of those other nasty things, but a magnesium alloy will have much better, safer, and more malluable properties.

*ding*

I could pull up specs for some Mag-alloys used in wheels, but I'm sure no one would care. tongue.gif

I'm hoping to make it out to the show as well, should be a good time. I need to figure out what would make a good graduation gift to myself ;)

I heard that GM had a high magnesium content alloy that they used in aluminum wheels on the 4wd trucks when the new body came out in '87 for the '88 model year. I've heard stories of people towing trailers through the mountains, and the brakes getting so hot that the rims would actually catch resulting in some pretty catastrophic accidents. Anybody remember anything about this?

Guest Spyder550
Originally posted by CR Caddy:

I heard that GM had a high magnesium content alloy that they used in aluminum wheels on the 4wd trucks when the new body came out in '87 for the '88 model year. I've heard stories of people towing trailers through the mountains, and the brakes getting so hot that the rims would actually catch resulting in some pretty catastrophic accidents. Anybody remember anything about this?

I don't know about that... Sounds like the old fable of the 80's Audis accelerating under demonic intention graemlins/nonono.gif

Also, Mg does not react with water.

Guest DagoRcR
Originally posted by RX7dood:

one thing i'm concerned about... if i remember right magnesium reacts with water...violently a small spark and release of hydrogen. but given enough magnesium dropped in say a glass, if i remember right and it was in fact magnesium it gets disolved and the hydrogen gets pocketed by the glass and there is a small explosion.

i'm sure they thought of that :confused:

Probably not pure Mg

Guest Spyder550

Mg does not react with water:

Mg + H2O --> Mg + H2O (no rxn.)

You are thinking of one of the alkali metals (column 1A).

One of the most common intro. chem. demonstrations is to put Na in water and watch it react:

(2)Na + (2)H2O --> (2)NaOH + H2