Leather CLEANER?

zeitgeist57

My wife's Passat has a pretty dirty back seat from our dog's paws, and also from a small sunroof leak this past winter that I've repaired. There are no stains, but the grain of the grey leather is holding a good amount of dirt and muck.

With the plans of getting a CTS-V this year fresh in our minds, my wife and I have been lax in keeping the Passat clean. It really needs a good spring cleaning.

Is there a good cleaner that can really clean automotive leather surfaces without staining or ruining the color of the leather?

Thanks! smile.gif

I use the Maguires 2-n-1 stuff (cleaner plus conditioner) and it works pretty well. My leather never had anything more than dust and a few food morsels on it though. It did however have a few small spots on the outer (left if you are sitting down) bolster of the drivers side seat where it was starting to show wear (my car has almost 90k on it). Using that stuff every few months has actually made those spots get better rather than worse with time. So I can't speak on how well this will do with the dirt on your seats. I can say it has done well for me and has done no harm to my leather, and it is black in color.

Make sure if you use a cleaner only you use a conditioner. A cleaner will take all of the oils, good and bad off. You need to put the good oils back into it. I was planning on getting separate stuff, but when I went to the auto parts store I always go to, they didn’t have any. I usually use Maguires car cleaning stuff so I figured I’d give this a try and it has worked very well.

lexol is the only ting to se it is made from leather (the oils from it at least) any leather store carries it. also the first month you start useing it you will want to treat it a couple of time then after that just when needed but it will keep it from craking and soft like new

mixture of 1 part woolite, 10 parts water in a spray bottle...spray the surface...aggitate with a soft apolstry (sp?) brush approved for leather, then wipe with a clean WHITE cotton towel (no colored towels cause you don't want the dye rubbing off on the leather). You can use this as a cleaner for all surfaces of the car and you'll even be amazed at it's capability of removing spots from carpeting ect. Safe for all surfaces in the car. If you're doing leather only you can dilute it a litte more like 1 to 15 or 1 to 20 but 1 to 10 won't hurt anything for occasional use. Follow up with some sort of conditioner on the leather (lexol is good) and it will be good as new.

Andy