Find me a quality, low miles LT1

Devils Advocate

Why are you not wanting a caprice motor. THere are 2 LT-1 looking engines, the LT-1 and the L-99 which is a 265 CI motor. The difference in the two is that the NON vette motors had cast heads. And there was some difference cam profile and computer, offering a bit more torque and a bit less HP on the top end ratings. The Aliuminium headed LT-1's are vette and some F-body cars, but they are rare, and pricy. Hell for the price difference you could about buy new alu heads, and the cam. Everything else is the same, now I will say that you absoluting need to know the casting numbers for the motors. setting side by side the LT-1 and the L-99 look identical, other than the casting numbers so you have to know what's what.

I am not going to sit here and tell you that head material has nothing to do with the amount of power a head makes, you knew that already. But I will tell you that the cast heads will port out farther, which has alot to do with making power. And the rest of it is valve size, and cam profile. As long as the chamber size is similar, you may gain some over the iron head by quicker removal of head and it being less prone to detonation, but the minute that you do the needed port work to the heads, that power advantage goes away, and there are other ways to deal with detonation like higher octane fuel.

Originally posted by The Truth:

all 1995-97 F body LT1's are aluminum heads. Also, the Caprice LT1, the smaller one, only makes 180 HP, as opposed to 280. That's why.

93-97 f-bodies = Aluminum heads...

93 = OBD0 = BAAAAAAAAAAD

94-part of 95 OBDI

96-97 OBDII and dual cats giving the extra HP.