Towing with 2000 Jeep Cherokee?

vitamincj

Just thought I would ask the experts. Can I expect to tow 4000 lbs with the Cherokee? Its max towing is 5000 lbs but I am not sure how accurate that figure is. I have driven a '90 and a '98 Cherokee and know the breaks aren't the strong point but can I expect the motor and tranny to hold up to the task? Any other vehicles I should be looking at in the $10,000 price range that can tow 4000 lbs? Trucks need not apply.

Thanks,

CJ

I'm going to have to say no. My 95 Jimmy (pre blowing up motor) has 195HP, something like 260ft/lb of torque, 3.73's with 31" tires, and I'd say 4000lbs is a bit much for it. It pulls my estimated 2800lb boat without much of an issue, but I wouldn't want to pull 4000lbs often/at all with it, and definately not over that.

I'd guestimate the Cherokee wouldn't be able to tow any more than my Jimmy. I'd definately go with something that has a V8 under the hood if towing that much.

If the trailer has trailer brakes you are alright. Auto manufacturer's rate the vehicles lower than they are capable of for liability, but it's best not to go over it. The Jeep is rated at 5,000, you are wanting to pull 4,000. Sounds fine to me.

Power is not that big of an issue when towing, but suspension and brakes are. Cherokee's are unibody, with coil springs in the front and *I THINK* coils in the rear.

If it has rear coils, get a good set of air shocks, and just pump them all the way up while towing. I don't know of any other options with coils. If it has rear leaves, go with a helper spring like Vince suggested above. If it is still squatting much, look into an air ride/air bag system. I think you can find them in a jegs catalog. What it does is mounts an air bag between the leaf spring and frame on each side. You can then just mount a nozzle to fill it up with a compressor at a gas station, or you can buy an onboard compressor to fill it.

Next is the braking system. From my experiance, and as you mentioned above, cherokee brakes aren't the best. Find a trailer brake system to mount onto the trailer, and wire it up into the Jeep. The system senses braking, and applies however much pressure you set it to. I've pulled a trailer that, with it set all the way up, will lock up the brakes completely with a full load. Trailer brakes can stop you better than the brakes on your truck will.

That about covers it. I personally wouldn't want to tow much more than a jetski with a cherokee, but that's personal preference. It's capable of doing what you want. However, keep in mind that the Cherokee is rather short. This means that you will get sway while on the highway. If you go to fast, there's a chance of losing control, especially if there is wind or you make a fast lane change. You will need to be careful. The upside to the length is that it will be very manuverable for parking and backing.

If you go with a fullsize truck or SUV, you won't have to worry about the suspension, they are already designed for that kind of weight. They are also far more stable on the highway. I pulled a 2,000 pound trailer with a Contour on it the other day with a Chevy 1 ton dually, and I didn't even know anything was back there the entire time I pulled it. The truck was massive, but it was the easiest tow I have ever done.

Like above, how often and how far?

It can probably pull it fine, but stopping may prove challenging.. Definitely invest in some good trailer brakes.

If this is something you are looking to buy and are going to be pulling it good distances every weekend, there may be a better suited vehicle.

I towed a 3000 pound trailer from here to Denver with no troubles at all. The roads were icy and it snowed so that is about the only thing that gave me troubles. But it towed it just fine. Stopped it just fine. I do not have any aids on the springs and had no ill effects with the handling.

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

I'm going to have to say no. My 95 Jimmy (pre blowing up motor) has 195HP, something like 260ft/lb of torque, 3.73's with 31" tires, and I'd say 4000lbs is a bit much for it. It pulls my estimated 2800lb boat without much of an issue, but I wouldn't want to pull 4000lbs often/at all with it, and definately not over that.

I'd guestimate the Cherokee wouldn't be able to tow any more than my Jimmy. I'd definately go with something that has a V8 under the hood if towing that much.

I'm pretty sure that Cherokee's are bigger than your Jimmy.. remember the Cherokee also comes with a V8 option.

as far as towing, I just looked it up and the max towing is 2000 lbs... the V8 is probably higher, but if you're looking at the inline 6, I wouldn't tow twice the recommended weight.. remember, getting rolling isn't the issue, it's going to either be, what your towing weights more than the truck, so it's gonna blow you EVERYWHERE and stopping...you can't expect brakes to stop you and twice your weight also...

Originally posted by Shitaro:

I'm pretty sure that Cherokee's are bigger than your Jimmy.. remember the Cherokee also comes with a V8 option.

as far as towing, I just looked it up and the max towing is 2000 lbs... the V8 is probably higher, but if you're looking at the inline 6, I wouldn't tow twice the recommended weight.. remember, getting rolling isn't the issue, it's going to either be, what your towing weights more than the truck, so it's gonna blow you EVERYWHERE and stopping...you can't expect brakes to stop you and twice your weight also...

The Cherokee has NEVER had a V8. Are you thinking of the Grand Cherokee that commonly came with the Chrysler 318?

Check this link out:

http://www.trailerlife.com/downloads/99towingguide.pdf

According to this, a 4 cyl. Cherokee can tow 2,000 pounds. An I6 can tow 5,000 with an auto tranny.

A Tahoe/Yukon is rated to tow 7,000. Unloaded, the fuel milage will only be marginally worse, but probably much better while towing since it has considerably more power. It also has a better ride since it's IFS, and a larger, more comfortable SUV.

I forgot to mention that you will also need a heavy duty tranny cooler if you want the tranny to live longer than 6 months at a time.

what your towing will always be more than the vehicle doing to the towing unless your planning on getting a dually with a loaded utility bed. I have a 2100 pound flat bed carhauler and any car you put on it puts the weight above my 3800lb GMC truck. If your cherokee is rated for towing 5K then your fine.

Ohio and most state law requires any trailer over 2K to have brakes on it. If you going to tow just a few times a year then nothing much is needed except trailer brakes. If you towing long distance or once a month or more it would be a good idea to add an inline transmission cooler. A vehicle with a true towing package will probably come with a real cooler, an oil cooler and most likely a transmission control that will allow the computer to shift stiffer and at intervals better suited for hauling alot of weight.

Evan

Originally posted by copperhead:

The Cherokee has NEVER had a V8. Are you thinking of the Grand Cherokee that commonly came with the Chrysler 318?

Check this link out:

http://www.trailerlife.com/downloads/99towingguide.pdf

According to this, a 4 cyl. Cherokee can tow 2,000 pounds. An I6 can tow 5,000 with an auto tranny.

A Tahoe/Yukon is rated to tow 7,000. Unloaded, the fuel milage will only be marginally worse, but probably much better while towing since it has considerably more power. It also has a better ride since it's IFS, and a larger, more comfortable SUV.

I forgot to mention that you will also need a heavy duty tranny cooler if you want the tranny to live longer than 6 months at a time.

ok, I was thinking grand cherokee... anyways, look at the normal cherokee on Edmunds, it states the 4.0 motor, but max towing as 2k

ok Mike...

my camaro weights 3,600 lbs a Trailer should be under 2k in weight, why don't you stick my car on a trailer and tow that thing on the freeway with that Jeep.... odds are you'll end up in a ditch ;)

At the end of the day, no skin off my nose either way, but I'd trust Edmunds over a 3rd party site anyday... (remember, Edmunds is a pretty big named site, they have to know their shit)

http://www.cofba.org/users/joshmiller/Pics/web/weeeeeee.JPG

I would go by the owners manual. And if it does end up not being able to tow that weight you have a leg to stand on in court if something doesnt pan out. But the owners manual clearly states 5000 pounds max and 24 feet long max.

The max towing is 5000 lbs. The standard towing(whatever the hell that is) is 2000. I am not sure why one site says one thing another site says another. The main reason I ask is because the national StarQuest(Chrysler Conquest and Mitsubishi Starion) Gathering is in Texas this year. Conquest=3000lbs Trailer=1000lbs I can drive down in the Conquest but I would be stupid to drag race 1000 miles away from home. However, if I trailer the Conquest down I don't have to worry about breaking something if I get the itch to turn up the boost. I would only be trailing this one time. But its a 2200 mile round trip. It would be mostly highway and I would probably drive it at night to avoid most of the traffic.

If you think I am crazy tell me so. I have never trailered anything before so maybe this is a totally bad idea. I can imagine U-haul would rape me on that long of a trip if I rented one of their big trucks. I have been to meets at Englishtown, Virginia Motorsports Park and Milan Dragway and been to chicken to run the car that far from home. If I go to TX for this meet I want to be able to race the car.

/longwindedness

CJ

I wouldn't use the Cherokee to trailer it.. it's just not big enough... even if the motor can support it, the brakes/suspension/tranny will suffer... also think about the car and trailor will probably weigh more than the cherokee... so the cherokee will be quite difficult to control...

I know that U-Haul rents Chevy Silverado's, I'd honestly rent one of them and hook the trailer to that... that way your Jeep doesn't take that sort of abuse and you can give the truck back at the end as well as that truck I'm sure can handle the towing allot better than the Jeep can. (yes, I know, that's a hell of a run-on sentence tongue.gif )

Honestly if your trailer only weighs 1000lbs I wouldn't put a car on it unless its a Featherlite car hauler or similar made of all aluminum. In that case thats a nice trailer. Definately do not use one of those 7000lbs capacity utility trailers. they just aren't designed to haul a car. maybe once or twice, but eventually you'll be sorry.

Evan

So, what engine and tranny do you have? Sorry if I missed it posted.

Honestly, a 2200 mile trip seems iffy as your first towing experience. Not that there is anything overly difficult about pulling a trailer, but I think you should get some shorter trips on smaller roads under your belt before trying that.

How long is your trailer? Does it have brakes?

Originally posted by copperhead:

Better hurry up and tell that to all of the semi drivers out there :rolleyes:

your keyboard Ninja skills are strong young grasshopper, but you still have much to learn..

tongue.gif

dude, there's a big different between a semi and a freaking cherokee :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Shitaro:

your keyboard Ninja skills are strong young grasshopper, but you still have much to learn..

tongue.gif

dude, there's a big different between a semi and a freaking cherokee :rolleyes:

The concept is the same though. Have you ever personally pulled a loaded trailer?

Also, I tried finding the Cherokee on edmunds.com, but couldn't find it. Do you have a link?