Turbo size....

SPLN SUX

So im looking to upgrade the Volvo already... i know i shouldnt, but im dumb. Im not looking to do this right now... just whenever the US Federal Government decides that i deserve to have my tax refund back and i can get a manifold together.

As of now, it has the factory Mitsubishi TD04H-12T... a little pea shooter of a turbo. The thing spools all the time and it gets almost annoying. So, ive come down to 3 choices....

Should i get:

A - T3 Super 60

B - T3/T4 60-1

C - T61

D - None of the abouve + go to hell and die

I threw D in there because i know i have some haters out there so i just wanted to be fair to everyone ;)

t3 super 60 is efficent up to about 22psi...its what im gonna be using in my custom set up next month...guy i know is running one in his turbo tib, and it starts spooling at about 1900 and hits full boost (he was running anywhere from 12-16psi) at 2600RPMs

Originally posted by Jelloman457:

if he can spool before redline whatever that may be

Yeah, considering the GT2871 is a GT28RS (the 'disco potato') with a larger compressor he should have no trouble spooling his 1.8/1.9L and it can make a lot of power. Unless the Volvo came with some strong internals he probably won't even be able to use a GT2871 to its full potential so I don't see the point in spending the extra money for the GT3071...although it's supposed to be a really nice turbo from what I've heard.

(people are putting both of those turbo's on Protege's with no problem spooling)

I plan on using the disco potato when i upgrade, great power and spool in the same package...

the 2001+ Volvo B4204T engine is actually very good,

the only critical problem is the fact they have a tendency to bend rods at torque values higher than 330lb-ft and running more then 18-20psi is questionable for the weak, cast pistons

Originally posted by ERock:

I plan on using the disco potato when i upgrade, great power and spool in the same package...

the 2001+ Volvo B4204T engine is actually very good,

the only critical problem is the fact they have a tendency to bend rods at torque values higher than 330lb-ft and running more then 18-20psi is questionable for the weak, cast pistons

So then they're not that good.

Originally posted by rl:

The GT series turbos are the way to go.

Size something that is correct for your engine at the pressure you want to run.

Finally someone says it. Everyone else is just spouting out turbos with no idea with how they'll perform on his car.

Get compressor maps of the turbos you are considering.

this isnt the first turbo engine ive built so ive already been comparing not maps, but actull engine setups ive seen run. I dont need much more than 300bhp but i dont want to be running so much pressure that im crushing pistons. Boost pressure isnt what you look at anyway... your power comes from the CFM. Thats why bigger turbos make just as much power if not more at lower pressures. I dont plan on running much more than 29inHG so im thinking a super 60 isnt going to get the 300bhp.

Im still going over specs and stuff because i still really dont know too much about this fuckin Volvo engine. Im almost scared to touch it but i guess its just like every other one... just more elaborate...

Originally posted by MRMEANR:

this isnt the first turbo engine ive built so ive already been comparing not maps, but actull engine setups ive seen run. I dont need much more than 300bhp but i dont want to be running so much pressure that im crushing pistons. Boost pressure isnt what you look at anyway... your power comes from the CFM. Thats why bigger turbos make just as much power if not more at lower pressures. I dont plan on running much more than 29inHG so im thinking a super 60 isnt going to get the 300bhp.

Some "bigger turbos" arent efficient and dont start moving a decent CFM until they are in the higher pressure ranges. Look at compressor maps.