$50 to the first person.....

Tinman

Only the shavings and dust from magnesium are flammable, solid pieces won't ignite.

It's a great material to make parts with, the alloy used in most racing parts is stronger than aluminum and about the same weight. Too bad it's a little brittle:(

Originally posted by rl:

GTAW was originaly developed for welding magnesium. smile.gif

I might have some, I'll check at the shop tonight.

Thanks, and tell Kelly thanks for faxing the torque conversion to M&M for me.

Originally posted by Tinman:

Only the shavings and dust from magnesium are flammable, solid pieces won't ignite.

It's a great material to make parts with, the alloy used in most racing parts is stronger than aluminum and about the same weight. Too bad it's a little brittle:(

actully yes they do, VW engines are a common bonfire fuel out in the desert.

Guest Ponyfreak

You are supposed to weld magnessium in an inert environment.

Last time I was at welds plus here in cincinnati they had Mag rod. Might check with them.

Originally posted by CamaroAJ:

i don't know how they start them burning, i think they just get them hot by building a fire around them, but they just take a cracked junk block and they burn just about all night by them self

anyone got a dead vw for the next CR cookout?

We dont have any at the shop, our buddy might, he does a lot of odd stuff like that, Kelly will check with him tonight and grab a few rods if he has it.

You can get away welding magnesium with some backsheilding gas, which wouldnt be very tough on a bellhousing.

Cool, thanks man. I ordered a new bellhousing Sunday, should be here tomorrow, but I would still like to fix the cracked one. It only weighs 8 lbs., so it would be nice to put back in at a later date.

I always back shield when ever possible, have a Y off of the regulator just for that reason.

dude matt, if you drive it to mid ohio this weekend, I'll buy you a beer. I'll even let you sleep in my tent! tongue.gif

those of you who have been to mid ohio for a race know that sweet cars can get good spots, and become attractions in and of thenselves. ;)

Guest doggunracing
Originally posted by The Stig:

dude matt, I'll buy you a beer. I'll even let you sleep in my tent! tongue.gif

I think you might have to get him more than one beer to pitch your tent, Eric.

Okay, now I'm more than serious. The new bellhousing arrived today and it's slightly more useful than a pile of donkey shit, .073" out of alignment. Not even remotle excusable. I'll be shipping it back soon and need to get the old one repaired asap. So if anyone can locate some filler tonight, preferably er-az92a, I'll give you the first ride and the $50.

Originally posted by Tinman:

Okay, now I'm more than serious. The new bellhousing arrived today and it's slightly more useful than a pile of donkey shit, .073" out of alignment. Not even remotle excusable. I'll be shipping it back soon and need to get the old one repaired asap. So if anyone can locate some filler tonight, preferably er-az92a, I'll give you the first ride and the $50.

Holy shit thats a lot of runout, I wont run more than .0070. Can you machine some offset dowels or do you not want to mess with it?

EDIT: are you talking about centerline runout or squarness to the block?

Originally posted by The Stig:

One of the potential problems of the NASCAR parts catalog, you never realy know what you're buying, more specificaly, from what team. Some know what they're doing, and some just dont. ;)

lol, every nascar team better clock the bellhousing correctly. The again they do only know how to turn left....