Dealer Dilemma

CobraKevin

As a lot of you know, I was somewhat involved in an accident close to 2 months ago and had to have some stuff replaced/repaired. Well I've had my car back for almost a month now and about a week or so ago, I had my tire shop check the balance on my front two tires because something didn't feel quite right while driving. They replaced both driver side wheels ($374 a pop for my insurance company) with "new" wheels, yet after removing all the tape weights Ricart used to balance the wheel, it called for a grand total of 9 ounces of weight. For those of you that don't know, that is VERY high, especially for a so-called brand new wheel. We got it to balance with 6 ounces of weight, but I was still far from satisfied. I took it back to Ricart to have them check the wheel out and to check the front end out a bit to make sure everything was tight (when I was braking after a race me, John, and Hua were in, my car felt quite unsteady). It was done in about a half hour and the guy said "Nothing lose in the front end, and we rebalanced the wheel with less weight". Well, the problem is still there and I know the wheel is bent/warped 'cause I've seen it on the balancer. Doesn't it seem like if my insurance company is going to shell out nearly $400 a wheel, they should get brand new wheels in perfect shape? I guess my major question is: should I take my car back there and demand them to replace the the two wheels with brand new wheels like they should have in the first place?

Yes you should. If they deny your request then go to your insurance and let them know the situation. It could be considered insurance fraud.

Maybe you can say something like "I'm going to be nice and let you guys fix this problem before I report you to my insurance because you've committed insurance fraud." That's if they're being diks.

Did you have an adjuster come out and look at the car? He/she is the point of contact and should be able to help out. You can also request that someone beside Ricart examine the wheels to confirm that they are not statisfactory. It sounds like Ricart replaced with used equipment, since $374 a wheel actually sounds pretty low for brand new stuff, unless they get a huge discount, which they are not going to pass onto the ins company anyway.

if your wanting to get them checked by someone else, you should try tire kingdom, they should have a machine called a road force variation balancer, it's expensive, but the machine can tell you if the wheel is bent, of it the tire has a slipped belt, of any number of things about the tire and wheel, it's kind of a unique machine, when I worked there we were the only place that could get one customers vehicle to stop shaking at highway speed, can't really remember the details, but the cust was really happy. just my .02, plus, ricart is a worthless shithole, and I would never under any curcumstance and mean fucking never!!!!!!!! take anything to that fucking place.

this is rick posting as marc, too lazy to log him out.

Originally posted by nathan96:

It sounds like Ricart replaced with used equipment, since $374 a wheel actually sounds pretty low for brand new stuff

www.tirerack.com

I'll gladly buy brand new wheels off them for $182 a rim, or step up to the chrome wheels for $280 a wheel before I give Ricart $374 a wheel and I guarantee the wheels from tire rack won't call for 9 ounces of weight. And why would they replace anything used? Since I've had so much trouble over these past few years with Ricart, should I take my car to a different Ford dealership from now on or what?

I can't say I disagree with you guys, but the question becomes when I have a problem with my Ford vehicle, who do you recommend I take it to? Another dealership like Kreiger? Or is there some place else I should look into for future service?

• 2 weeks later...
i went to grahm for some stuff, but they forgot about me in the waiting room, and i still havent gotten a call about my warranty work. to be honest kevin, im going ot go back to ricart after havign them do warranty work on the mach 1, i was almost close to being slightly satisfied......but, the first time, they took my car for a 30 mile joyride to check the brake noise(i took it in for the shaker squeak).

Originally posted by vitaminCJ:

We take our fleet vehicles to Keim. I can't say that they are cheap or quick but they have always fixed our cars right the first time.

CJ

That's where the CSVT is serviced and I've never had a problem with them.

i can tell you from my experience dealing with insurance companies everyday. if this was an insurance deal ricart didnt make the decision to put a used wheel on your car your insurance company did.

and the statement about the wheel being hugely discouted, thats a typical wholesale price of a new wheel. i get brand new wheels cheaper then that everyday.

not sure if anyone saw the wheels on the black mitsubishi eclipse from dennis pontiac at the car show, (black 18's) but i can tell you we had way less then 150 a wheel in them. dennis wanted them now now now so they ended up paying 315 a wheel because of overnight charges