plymouth superbird

Adam

while pickup up some lumber treatment chemicals for dad today i seen a plymouth superbird at a gas station in a hayseed town down here, i pulled over to talk to the guy and he said he owned 2 daytonas/ 4 superbirds or vice versa, he owns a chrysler dealership down in peebles, very nice guy says he is going to the chrysler nationals at trails this weekend, i might just go now just to talk to him about his collection

this car was pimp kinda a cream color in perfect condition, had to go before i could ask him more about it, but pimp car none the less, exactly like this one

http://www.nvo.com/auction/nss-folder/superbird/DCP_2257.JPG

Originally posted by BLACKBIRD99:

That was the 60's version of the ricer's wing. Although it was a lot more functional on that car and that car still kicks ass!

You should be banned for even compairing this car to a ricer. These were the fastest car built. They went into production to run the speedway, and when they took the track, NOTHING was close. The average speed for NASCAR at the time was about 160, these cars were turning 200 MPH laps, which is FASTER than the cars run today due to restricter plates. And don't forget that todays NASCARS are a high tech piece of equipment, The guys that raced these, went to the dealer, picked one up, caged it, put on headers and a big oil pan, changed tires and raced it. AS it came from the factory.

Originally posted by Mud Butt:

ahhh, back when nascar actually pushed innovation; not stopped it.

NO SORRY, this car is what stopped inovation in NASCAR, because it was SO much faster than anything Ford had, and Bill France being a dumbass, this was the last time that a car was built for the speedway, and produced only to make it a legal car for NASCAR racing. Ford was gong to build a similar car ( the Torino GT or something ) but Bill France stopped Ford, and illegalized the Superbirds and Daytonas after only 2 years. Which was a real shame, and one of the biggest reasons that Dodge dropped out of NASCAR all together.

And for those of you that are anti Dodge. COnsider this. EVERY TOP FUEL AND FUNNY CAR, uses a Dodge designed engine. The Hemi, the bodies are different, but they are ALL hemi's.

They built the quickest full production car, until the GNX. They won more races than anyone until they quit NASCAR. And it took several years before Ford finally won as many races as the Mopars. Yes, they rusted out, yeah, you had to work on em to keep em running. But, for those of you that still pray to the gods of carburation and solid lifters, you know that racing motors need maintained to run at top performance. You guys that tune with a laptop and a dyno have no idea how to tune with a stop watch, a timing light and a box of jets. If you did you would show more respect to those that do this.

Damn right Desparado. I started out like that on a Super Gas car when I first got in to Drag Racing. I learned the old way and I think everyone should start out that way. Even though I work in the IT field all this laptop and dyno tuning shit is new to me. Innovative? Yeah. Cool? Yeah, but ya cant forget where is all started at.

Desparoado knows his shit. graemlins/thumb.gifgraemlins/thumb.gif

Originally posted by Desperado:

NO SORRY, this car is what stopped inovation in NASCAR, because it was SO much faster than anything Ford had, and Bill France being a dumbass, this was the last time that a car was built for the speedway, and produced only to make it a legal car for NASCAR racing. Ford was gong to build a similar car ( the Torino GT or something ) but Bill France stopped Ford, and illegalized the Superbirds and Daytonas after only 2 years. Which was a real shame, and one of the biggest reasons that Dodge dropped out of NASCAR all together.

And for those of you that are anti Dodge. COnsider this. EVERY TOP FUEL AND FUNNY CAR, uses a Dodge designed engine. The Hemi, the bodies are different, but they are ALL hemi's.

They built the quickest full production car, until the GNX. They won more races than anyone until they quit NASCAR. And it took several years before Ford finally won as many races as the Mopars. Yes, they rusted out, yeah, you had to work on em to keep em running. But, for those of you that still pray to the gods of carburation and solid lifters, you know that racing motors need maintained to run at top performance. You guys that tune with a laptop and a dyno have no idea how to tune with a stop watch, a timing light and a box of jets. If you did you would show more respect to those that do this.

wow.. he bitch slapped all the "haters" w/ knowledge.... go desperado go!

he he he

here is a trivia question for the know it all's here. what are the scoops above the front tires? and bonus points if you know what dodge told nascar why they were there?

keith and a few older members will know but lets see if the younger guys know.

hint on the bonus ? dodge flat lied to nascar on there purpose(or should i say they s-t-r-e-c-h-d the truth)

Guest Rane
Props to the condition of the car and what it can do. But doesn't look that great to me, I am curious as to what those things over the tires are now that you asked people guess >_<.

Guest stevil
Originally posted by Ridenred27:

what are the scoops above the front tires?

I think.. the car was so aerodynamic, that the nose raised up too much at high speeds, handling sucked. So the scoops routed some of that air from under the car out over the fenders, more downforce in the front.

No clue about the excuse to NASCAR, heat extractor?

THIS IS TREVOR POSTING::::: I have meet the guy. he has several and does have the dealership. has a rare colored daytona. It is almost a vomite brown/green with and orangish red stripe and wing. has painted rims and dog dish hubcaps. This weekend will definitely be a fun time to own a True American Muscle car, especially over here on brice road.

Guest Ponyfreak
It is true that Dodge beat Ford to the punch with the Hemi style heads by 3-4 years. But when ford made a true hemi head they made one a lot better than Dodge did. 427 SOHC. The BOss 429 head was ok too.

Guest Rane
:-D I was reading, they told nascar it was to stop the tire from rubbing on the fender ;) . And it was really for the downforce thing, something crazy about it pulling air in that would push the tires down creating downforce at high speeds and lowering it slightly ;) .

Originally posted by lccobra:

Very nice but the wing has to go....

Dude, we are not talking about a ricer wing here. That is the trademark of that car. It is the only car ever that had that. And I would LOVE to see if a ricer wing was as strong. There were several dealers that had pics taken of a salesman standing in the center of the wing. It's not a decoration, it was there for a reason, and it was fuctional.

Yuo all can scoff all you want at rice. But please refrain for making comments about an American ledgend in the musclecar world.

Guest BLACKBIRD99
Originally posted by Desperado:

[QB]You should be banned for even compairing this car to a ricer. These were the fastest car built. QB]

Well, I can almost gaurantee I'm not the only one who's made a remark about the wing being a bit overdone. My Dad is a big Mopar guy and always has been but even he never cared for the car much.

I think the car is awesome and always have. The wing is overdone.

That wing as part of the styling as well as the 426 is what made that car so dominent in NASCAR. But, NASCAR trying to level the playing field, dubbed that car illegal since it was blowing away everything else. I believe that was the first effort that NASCAR had ever made at keeping the fields that close in competition.

There were always "classes" from when NASCAR was founded. I think though, that was the beginning of making regulations on the cars to keep the racing good. Look at what's done now: they'll give a particular make an aero adjustment to make them more competetive. When the 97-03 Grand Prix bodies were being used, in 02 NASCAR granted the Pontiac teams an extention of the nose piece as well as the spoiler adjustment to make them better aeros.

Moves like that, I'd bet were spurred by France banning the Daytonas from NASCAR.

Just my .02. :D

Guest Tony_K

Imagine how many Mexicans you can smuggle across the border hiding in the nose!! :D haha

graemlins/thumb.gif old mopars, esp. hemis.

To the kids: for looks = rice ; functional = not rice. simple? It is because of cars like the Superbird and the 911 Turbo back then that wings look "sporty" today.

Cheers,

Tony K

(former owner of Roadrunner, Satellite Sebring, Cuda, and 2 Chargers)

i can't find the one i seen of a dude just standing right on top of the wing

http://www.musclecarcalendar.com/1970%20SUPERBIRD%2064II.jpghttp://ultra.cto.us.edu.pl/pub/Multimedia/Pictures/Cars/Plymouth/Roadrunner/roadrunner-superbird.03.jpg

Bit of trivia, The Superbird was a Cornet with a bolt on two piece front end, the Daytona Charger was a Charger R/T with a cut and welded single piece front end. making the charger more valuable.

My favorite mopar 68' Charger R/T and 71' Hemi 'Cuda

"Dodge beat Ford to the punch by 3 or 4 years"

Chrysler introduced Hemi headed V8s in 1953. Ford was still running the old Flathead V8 at the time.

The scoops were supposedly for tire clearance, but the actual function was to allow high-pressure air in the wheelwells to vent into the much lower pressure air over the fender and hood. If you look at the rear of the wheelwell, it kind of sticks out into the airflow and acts as a scoop. The rear ones weren't nearly as bad, because of the way the rear quarter curved under the car.