$10g's, 225hp+ and 4 doors

Bam

Guest powers
he said he was looking for something bigger than his jetta. If you have ever sat in the back seat of a WRX you would never call it a family car.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am actually taking a 2nd look at GTP's. I found this website...intense-racing.com and for about $900 you can get another 70whp. That'd be around 300hp and quick. I was looking over there "power packages" and I think I could save some cash, but it's good to know what is available.

Big Papa, thanks for the Passat/a4 info. I thought the A4 was based on the Jetta. Well then maybe I should go take a look at the a4's now. That passat looks sweet, I'd love that for a daily. I'm just worried about all the problems the 1.8t's have, oil sludge and coil packs.

What kind of track record do the GTP's have for reliability?

Thanks

Matt

Originally posted by BAM6I4:

I am actually taking a 2nd look at GTP's. I found this website...intense-racing.com and for about $900 you can get another 70whp. That'd be around 300hp and quick. I was looking over there "power packages" and I think I could save some cash, but it's good to know what is available.

Big Papa, thanks for the Passat/a4 info. I thought the A4 was based on the Jetta. Well then maybe I should go take a look at the a4's now. That passat looks sweet, I'd love that for a daily. I'm just worried about all the problems the 1.8t's have, oil sludge and coil packs.

What kind of track record do the GTP's have for reliability?

Thanks

Matt

both of my gtps have been 98s with over 50k on the clock and have always started and never left me on the side of the road. engines are tanks. if the car was beaten on, the tranny will show signs. if you take one for a test drive and it makes alot of clunking or the trans slips, walk away. race trannys are about 1,700$. Some other things to check for is the oil pan leak, GM has a TSB out to RTV the oil pan because of the material differance (cast iron block-oil pan) hot/cold expanding. The intake manifold gaskets are supposedly prone to leaking, but I dont keep my car stock long enough to tell. if the car smells like oil the valve cover gaskets are most likely seeping, they redesigned the gasket for the 04s and it works 1000x better.

if you end up getting one, one of us local guys would scan it to see if you need to do some work on it before doing mods.

Our motors can be modded to have some fun, they are mostly low end cars, I will warn you. the long gearing combined with a flat hp curve is kinda boring compared to the mid slap in the face of a 1.8t.

biggest complaint I've had is the crappy interior and the headlights building condensation.

What'll they do on the road, like 140+ or what? Low end power as in 40-70, 40-100, etc etc? Do you still have your GTP? Is it lightly modded or crazy? I wouldn't mind a ride in it if you don't mind. I want to see what a modded one would feel like before I set myself on it. Yeah the interior isn't the nicest and both GTP's I've looked at had condensation in the headlights.

The only one I've found is a 99 w/ 65k on it for 11k. Is that a good deal or what? Know of any local for sale? Had any problems with higher miles?

Thanks

Matt

What'll they do on the road, like 140+ or what? Low end power as in 40-70, 40-100, etc etc? Do you still have your GTP? Is it lightly modded or crazy? I wouldn't mind a ride in it if you don't mind. I want to see what a modded one would feel like before I set myself on it. Yeah the interior isn't the nicest and both GTP's I've looked at had condensation in the headlights.

The only one I've found is a 99 w/ 65k on it for 11k. Is that a good deal or what? Know of any local for sale? Had any problems with higher miles?

Thanks

Matt

Nate's car isn't even CLOSE to stock.. and it's got a "different" power adder rather than the M90.. smile.gif . It wouldn't even be the same.

Why a Maxima over anything else? I couldn't afford the newer ones, 00+ unless I wanted a ton of miles, and the older ones only had the 190hp V6, correct? Why chose that over a pontiac?

Thanks

Matt

Why a Maxima over anything else? I couldn't afford the newer ones, 00+ unless I wanted a ton of miles, and the older ones only had the 190hp V6, correct? Why chose that over a pontiac?

Thanks

Matt

better gas mileage, probably better interior, the fact you can get it in a 5spd.

By low end I mean...I was door to door with Mr. Stock's ZO6 from 40ish to 100? after 100 he put easily 2 cars on me.

I was trapping 105ish and i think he traps 118.

When I was blown I had bolt ons, stock cam and heads. Best time was a 12.75 @ 106 with 94 octane and drag radials. With all that low end power it kinda sucks, you just spin tires.

if you like 60 roll ons, get a 1.8t and swap a t3/t4 50 trim on it.

if you like racing from stop light to stop light, get a good set of tires and the gtp

Is this Nate w/ the 2 door blacked out GTP? That car is insane!! Since you've gone turbo, any leftover mods that I could pick off you cheap? Well I'm going over to the dealer with the 99 GTP and I'm going to drive to talk him down quite a bit. I'm not sure why, but he's got a helluva markup it seems.

Maxima - I don't really give 2 shits about gas mileage, I have a gas card through my company, so premium is FREE. smile.gif Interior possibly, and the 5spd I don't really car about trans if it's a powerful car.

The 1.8t thing is a good option, but to do a turbo upgrade and get 300hp I'll be in the 3-4k range.

With a GTP for about $750 or so I can be pushing the envelope of 300hp, the of course needs tranny work, but still a WHOLE lot less $$$. I've got a grand or two to play with, not $5k.

Nate, what is the stock tranny good for? I want mid 13's. Also, what is the stock boost level in the GTP? What's a 3.2" pulley raise it too?

Catch me on AIM if you could, BAM6i4.

Matt

I would go drive some cars and then decide.I took a Grand Prix GT on vacation in 2000,before I had the LS400.My wife and I both said it was the worst sedan on the inside we had ever driven.It was typical GM,hard plastic,uncomfortable seats and everything was just out of place.If you don't mind the interior they look good on the outside and have good power.I personally think the best place for the 3800SC is in the back of a Fiero,theres a fun ride!

Originally posted by NOS50:

I would go drive some cars and then decide.I took a Grand Prix GT on vacation in 2000,before I had the LS400.My wife and I both said it was the worst sedan on the inside we had ever driven.It was typical GM,hard plastic,uncomfortable seats and everything was just out of place.If you don't mind the interior they look good on the outside and have good power.I personally think the best place for the 3800SC is in the back of a Fiero,theres a fun ride!

until it explodes smile.gif

Is this Nate w/ the 2 door blacked out GTP? That car is insane!! Since you've gone turbo, any leftover mods that I could pick off you cheap? Well I'm going over to the dealer with the 99 GTP and I'm going to drive to talk him down quite a bit. I'm not sure why, but he's got a helluva markup it seems.

Maxima - I don't really give 2 shits about gas mileage, I have a gas card through my company, so premium is FREE. smile.gif Interior possibly, and the 5spd I don't really car about trans if it's a powerful car.

The 1.8t thing is a good option, but to do a turbo upgrade and get 300hp I'll be in the 3-4k range.

With a GTP for about $750 or so I can be pushing the envelope of 300hp, the of course needs tranny work, but still a WHOLE lot less $$$. I've got a grand or two to play with, not $5k.

Nate, what is the stock tranny good for? I want mid 13's. Also, what is the stock boost level in the GTP? What's a 3.2" pulley raise it too?

Catch me on AIM if you could, BAM6i4.

Matt

With our cars boost is a relative term. The blower doesn't actually compress the air, more of....blows. The compression is done in the intake manifold. This means that if you have an exhaust or cam or other powertrain mods the number is differant.

i don't know stock boost off hand, but its not hard to calculate...

the stock pulley is 3.8" diameter, and the crank pulley is 7" diameter so.. 3.8" pulley, 6000 shift - 7/3.8=1.84 x 6000 = 11,052 blower rpm

the m90 blows 90ci of air / rev. we can see how much it would flow at a perfect world stand point (no exhaust or intake restrictions) - 12 x 12 x 12 = 1728 CF per CI. So 11,052 rpm x 90ci per rev/1728 ci per cf = 576 CFM from the blower at free flow.

we are trying to jam 576 CFM through 231CI engine...231/2/1728 x 6000 rpm = 401 CFM

so absolute manifold pressure is 1.4 times atmospheric (729/401) and the boost is .4 atmosheres above atmospheric pressure or 14.7 psi x .4 = 6psi.

As far as my car you have the wrong Nate. I have a black four door and its completely stock, and always will appear to be.

one huge thing you are going to have to learn and face is knock. the blower heats the air tremendously and you wont get more power by adding smaller pullies if you dont have the proper mods. i dont know if you are seeing 300 crank hp [thats 220whpish], but usually takes a cam/rockers - intercooler - bunch of other stuff over 750$ to acheive 300whp. I dynoed 303 right after my tranny was replaced, kinda sucked because i was still learning about the car and differant things.

my stock tranny started slipping after i did my intercooler nad the odometer rolled past 75k, but i never really launched my car hard, best 60ft was like, 1.88. mileage and burnouts kill the trans like woah. i would say do a shift kit as a first mod, the car will feel awesome.

mid 13s at what trap?-give me a car you want to run with...

i will talk to you on aim, honostly, the 1.8t platform will yield better results if you are looking for 300-400whp, per $.

Quick Maxima education:

99-older: 190hp VQ30DE 3.0L V6

00-01 (my old one): 222hp VQ30DE (Variable intake) 3.0L V6

02-04: 255hp VQ35DE 3.5L V6...same engine in 350Z, Infiniti I35

Up to 02, they came with a 5speed. 02 and up can be had with a 6 speed manual.

The pontiac is a good 400-500 lbs heavier. Also, it's automatic only. Plus, Maxima's are indestructible, and I've seen them regularly go over 160k miles with little more than a new clutch and proper fluid/filter changes.

It all depends what you want. The Maxima is very big on the inside and trunk (bigger than my wife's '00 Passat) and got excellent gas mileage. if you lower it, put on better wheels/tires and be SURE to get a manual transmission, you'll have a really great performance sedan. The Pontiac is your choice if you want to drag race.

EDIT: I've got a GREAT, CR-classic 3 year old video of what a N/A 3800 will do against a stock 3.0L V6 Maxima with a 5speed manual. Just need someone to host it. smile.gif

Originally posted by Zeitgeist:

Quick Maxima education:

99-older: 190hp VQ30DE 3.0L V6

00-01 (my old one): 222hp VQ30DE (Variable intake) 3.0L V6

02-04: 255hp VQ35DE 3.5L V6...same engine in 350Z, Infiniti I35

Up to 02, they came with a 5speed. 02 and up can be had with a 6 speed manual.

The pontiac is a good 400-500 lbs heavier. Also, it's automatic only. Plus, Maxima's are indestructible, and I've seen them regularly go over 160k miles with little more than a new clutch and proper fluid/filter changes.

It all depends what you want. The Maxima is very big on the inside and trunk (bigger than my wife's '00 Passat) and got excellent gas mileage. if you lower it, put on better wheels/tires and be SURE to get a manual transmission, you'll have a really great performance sedan. The Pontiac is your choice if you want to drag race.

EDIT: I've got a GREAT, CR-classic 3 year old video of what a N/A 3800 will do against a stock 3.0L V6 Maxima with a 5speed manual. Just need someone to host it. smile.gif

email it - itsn8dog@yahoo.com