Ferrari 308 gts

jetta2NV

Just came accross and 1981 Ferrari 308 gts im thinking of trading my jetta in on. The car is in great shape with a good price. Its red with a 5 speed, targa top, leather etc. The car also only has 50k and i was told thats kinda high for a Ferrari. I was looking to use this car as a daily driver and put about 20k mi on it per year, Is this a good idea or am i asking from trouble with this car. Its in great shape and has all records.

Ferrari used to have a investment section on their website that told you what to look out for in each model and year. You might check to see if they still have that up and check out the pro's and con's of that model/year.

Also, I think you are crazy for wanting/thinking you can put 20K on that car a year. Not trying to bash, just my opinion. The reliability just isn't there. It would be a bad ass car to own though.

If you can afford to put 5k in maitenance into it a year I would say get it.

CJ

- That is one of the worst years in terms of 308 performance....which is also why they tend to be the least expensive model.

- Maintance, maintance, maintance. VERY expensive; that car was never meant to be a daily driver, even when new. It's a toy/weekend car. It would cost a fortune on upkeep, and I can just imagine the cost of insurance on that thing as a primary car!

Basically, you are asking for trouble, but that would be a cool daily driver. Though seeing someone driving that in the snow/salt would make me cringe.

Yea i guess it would be a bit much to use as a daily driver. I can do my own work and get 20% off on parts. I just came accross the car and its a good deal. Also 81 was a bad year for performance as far as speed but everthing else was still great, besides the car would still run low to mid 14's and thats not bad for a stock 24 year old car.

Nah...you can get these in the $teens now, but you'd better be swapping in a SBC for better reliability! smile.gif

I appreciate this thread, because I think just about every car guy goes through the value of buying an '80s Ferrari because of the apparent bargain one can have in the used market. I would definitely watch out for unseen, VERY expensive repairs in the not-too-distant future.

Keep another car for your daily if you get the Ferrari; that's the only way. If for anything else other than you having a car to drive if the Ferrari starts acting up and you need to fix it yourself.

Guest Harris92
I say go for it, but I would think hard about making it a daily driver. I know a guy that has an older ferrari (late 80's I believe) and he said sometimes after his car has sat for as little as a week or two, it just wont start. He has to fiddle with it, and has to go through certain start up routines to get it to start. Just be careful, they can be a bit quirky. ;)

I'd have to agree with everyone else on here, you can't use that as a daily, pretty much just an image car, IMO you should just go buy a C5 corvette that is more reliable, a lot faster and probably about the same price and you will still get noticed.

Originally posted by GSRchick714:

I don't know how much you'll "get noticed" with a corvette...although they are cool cars, there are a lotta them!!

I'd say there is a good chance that a 21 year old guy with a Vette will get noticed. One guy at my university had a blue C5, and if someone didn't know him personally, they knew the car. And he drove it daily back and forth to Toledo (even in the snow, don't ask me why); nice guy though, very rich too.

Personally, I recommend NOT getting the Ferrari. I think you'd be happier with a C5 in your price range, and you could drive it every day if you really wanted.

Originally posted by GSRchick714:

I don't know how much you'll "get noticed" with a corvette...although they are cool cars, there are a lotta them!!

Get the vette. My only reason is, if you think you can afford maintance on a ferarri, you might wanna talk to the Tech guy at MAG that makes 150k+ without a high school diploma. Ask him how much it costs to fix them. Also with a C5, you will get to have this happen at your house.

http://home.insight.rr.com/samsc5/33676858_l.jpeg

And what guy doesnt want that. It happens here all the time.

Originally posted by The Vette:

Get the vette. My only reason is, if you think you can afford maintance on a ferarri, you might wanna talk to the Tech guy at MAG that makes 150k+ without a high school diploma. Ask him how much it costs to fix them. Also with a C5, you will get to have this happen at your house.

Sam, I think it has to do with your stunning good looks ;) . I <3 Sam.

Originally posted by The Vette:

So... when you gonna invite me over? graemlins/popcorn.gif

Guest jpurdy2003
Originally posted by Ricochet:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/Ricochet16/ian-geek.gif

HI I DRIVE A CORVETTE!!1!

YOU TWO HOTTIES WANNA COME TO MY LOVESHACK AND MAKE OUT WIF EACHOTHER WHILE I TAKE PITCHURES?

This man speaks truth.