New car options..

Buck531

Help me out. Looking to possibly get a new car for the wife. Requirements..

v6

4 doors

Preferrably an SUV to haul the kids around.. possibly a soccer mom van, but she' REALLY small. (100 lbs.. soaking wet).

What's out there for around 8-10k.. with average miles. I was thinking a blazer. But I've heard of some issues with them. A blazer would be ideal, but not sure about the reliability.

I know that's a narrow group of cars, but I'd like ot hear the reliability part more than the vehicle itself. I'm open to import/domestic as well. Preferred NOT to get a Ford though smile.gif .

What about the Kia's?

I have a 95 Blazer. I bought it used about 1.5 years ago. So far I've replaced the fuel injection spider ($500) and the fuel pump, oxygens sensor, and some fuel lines. Those combined for about $700. So you see, yes Blazers have some problems, but in the snow it can't be stopped... 'tis a beast.

fuck korean vehicles

get her the newest RAV4 in your price range and never look back. Being a Toyota, you won't have to worry about anything more than regular maintenance. It's a small SUV, so it's manuverable and unobtrusive, and gets good gas milage for being an SUV. Considering the ages of your kids, you won't have any trouble fitting them in, but when they start getting close to their teen years you would definately want something a bit larger, but that's far enough away that you most likely will have gotten something else anyway.

The only thing missing is a V6, but at least take a test drive in one before you decide that you absolutely have to have a larger motor.

I never thought I'd say this, but don't get a Blazer. Mine has had more fucking issues than I care to deal with, all within less than a year of ownership. The first two I had kicked ass and were very reliable. But this new one is another story. Maybe a lemon, maybe not.

Don't try it. I'd go for a Suburu.

Guest jpurdy2003
If you're not hell-bent on an SUV, I recommend a Nissan Altima. My dad has a 2000 Altima that he got for $7K a year ago when it had 32K miles on it. It now has 63K miles due to several long trips and the fact that my dad drives it all day for his job, and we have done NOTHING besides change the oil and put tires on it. Plus, it has one of the largest 4-cylinders I've ever seen, and handles like a dream.

hmm Altima has 63K on it and you've only done regular maint. My `94 corolla has 210K on it and its only had regular maint as well.

As for blazers. I'd do a web search. I've always saw reliable blazers in the past. I know the 4.3L v6 is probably the only good engine to get in one. Maybe its just that we know of a few people that have had alot of problems. Its all relative anyway since I think my GMC fullsize truck is a POS compared to my toyota's. I'm going back to another toyota as soon as I can.

As for Kia. DO NOT GO DOWN THAT ROAD. Kia has a very attrive price, but you really are getting what you pay for. they have a 10 year warranty and your going to use it every few months for 10 years. Ask almost anyone who's had one.

Evan

Well, lemme reiterate.

The 4.3L Vortec is one of the most reliable engines ever produced by GM. I've had no problems with either of mine.

However, the 4T60E 4WD tranny are know for their reliability problems. Along with the front steering/chassis on the S-Series trucks. TSBs out the ass.

My parents have been through 2 S-10 Blazers(89 and 97), and 2 full size Blazer/Yukons(01 and 04). I have had several of both size. They and I have had ZERO issues outside of routine repairs; several of these have seen the Northern side of 150,000 miles.

They run well, and are (in my opinion) easy as Hell to work on. I'm surprised to hear anyone mention reliability issues with these vehicles. :confused:

I don't think anyone has mentioned Durangos, but I'd stay away from them. I belong to a Dodge board, and there a lot of issues with the late 90's, early 00's models.

Don't try it. I'd go for a Suburu
good idea. subies hold their value very well, have excellent quality, and an outback would be a perfect fit for your wife (ive actually met her, so i know how small she is).

i just had a good freind get one in excellent shape for 5 grand.

Don't get a Kia. My roommate has one and he's had NUMEROUS problems with it. It's a POS.

Don't get a newer body style 4 cylinder Altima. My mom had one and we had more problems with that car then anything we've owned in a long time. There were many mornings that the car would not just start, and it was brand new. The dealer claimed it was fouled plugs. I believe it has something to do with the ECU dumping a large amount of fuel at startup. So if you took a short trip where the engine never got warm, the next time you'd go to start it, it wouldn't. (Like moving it out of the garage, then trying to move it back in later.) Can't say for sure though as I don't know too much about the issue, but the plugs would stink of gasoline and were soaked. They claimed that holding the gas pedal to the floor would trigger the ECU to stop injecting fuel and it would eventually fire up. The car just fell out of warrenty, so we traded it in on a new Acura TSX.

I'd say a 2nd Gen S-SUV, but I'm less than pleased with mine after the motor decided to eat itself out of the blue with only 157k on the clock. Otherwise, it had been a damn reliable truck and very good to me for the 15k I have owned it, something I could NEVER say of the 93 POS Blazer it replaced.

Get her a 4-door car....does she really NEED a SUV/Minivan. I have my SUV only because I have to have something to tow my boat.

Thanks for the replies.

As for the car vs. suv. It would be nice to have the room to haul shit around. I do like the wagon idea, but I brought that up to her a few years ago and said "I don't like wagons". Maybe that has changed. I dunno.

Right now she has a '95 Buick Regal. 159k on the clock (the one that got hit by the branch) and it runs perfectly. Not a problem with it.

It all depends on if they total out the buick. THey might. If they do, I'm going to buy it back from them , fix the rear window and use it as my beater and park the Lumina in the garage.

Went down this road with my wife a few months ago. We found that there really wasn't much that she could even get comfortable in, let alone like. She found that she really liked the Mercury Villager (I know *gasp* a Ford!) and the Nissan Quest. I've always been die hard against owning a Ford product, but we bought our Contour over 3 years ago, and have had almost no trouble with it ever. It did eat a water pump at 60k, but when I researched it, I found that to be a common problem at that milage, and haven't done anything but regular maintenance since. It's got almost 130k on it now.

Too bad you won't buy a Ford. tongue.gif The only problem I've ever had with my Mercury Mountaineer are bad ball joints. Bought it with 42K miles back in August 2002, it now has 122K miles. Only minor maintenance work. My wife drives the shit out of it. Gas mileage kinda sucks with the 5.0 (14 - 18), but with AWD and a loaded interior, it's a great vehicle. I'd buy another one for a daily driver in a heartbeat. They can be found with the 4.0 SOHC 205 HP V6... smile.gif

get a minivan you can haul people around in one and then pop out the seats and hual anything else

voyager

caravan

town&country

astro

windstar

aerostar

the three chrysler vans are fwd or awd

th astro and the aerostar are rwd

the windstar is also fwd

chevy has a nother small van out right now but I can't remember what its called.

we have a voyager I didn't really like it at first but its actually really usefull and hasn't had to have anything other than regular maintenance done to it

Guest SweeeetSilvia

I know your stuck on an SUV, but Hatfield Subaru is now having a great deal on 05 Impreza's if you lease, 189 a month for 48 months, total payout of just over 9k.

-Dan