Rainy ride home from work....

sonavabeech

Well, I thought that it wasn't suppose to rain until later tonight. As I'm leaving the office, my boss says, "Oh! You're on your bike today. You should have left a long time ago to get home before the storm gets in." I wished Mr Ganahl would have said that earlier!

Anyway, as soon as I get on 70 off of 270 on the west side, down comes the rain. I pull up under the bridge at Hilliard and there's this dude on his bike. He's heading home to Dayton, I think that's what he said. He said he was stationed at Rickenbacker if I heard him correctly. I suggested we get on 40 and keep going west. That way we'd be off the highway and still keep riding towards home.

My gas light started blinkin' in West Jefferson and then started bitchin' just north of London. At this point I only had about 7 or 8 miles to go and figured I'd syphon the gas out of one of Mark's bikes when I got home :D .

Long story short, or actually short story shorter, It was my first ride in heavy rain. I avoided it long enough I suppose and it was going to happen sooner or later. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and it was nice to have another rider beside me until I got home. I didn't catch his name and if he happens to be a member of this forum, I hope you made it home to Dayton alright.

sucks man glad to see you made it.

i remember the first time i rode in heavy rain it was two weeks after i just got my bike and just started riding. i had two pretty experienced riders with me and the one started preaching to me about what to do and what not to do. and i understood. but sure enough who wreckes the one who was preaching to me, put his 954 over a bank and wrapped it up in a barb wire fence.

Love riding in the rain sometimes. I took the 1000rr the day after I got it out in the rain for about 80 miles just to get used to riding it in the wet. I commute on my bike when I can so I figured I'd get used to it at my own pace instead of getting caught in a sudden shower.

+1

I left work in downtown Columbus at about 5 PM. I was going to try and wait it out but I needed to go to UPS before they closed at 7. So I said fuck it and decided to head home in Powell. I thought about going up I-71, which would have been a bit out of the way but I might have been able to get up north without getting heavy rain. I could have taken the storm head on and went 270 towards Hilliard up to Sawmill. That's my usual route but the clouds were dark as hell up that way. I decided to split the difference and take 315. I didn't stop unles absolutely necessary. For a few miles, while traffic was stopped, I rode the shoulder (only going about 15mph).

When I got to Ackerman, it came down. I got off of 315 and took back roads up to Powell. I was soaked to my undies. Instead of thinking I was "the cool guy on the nice bike," I was "the idiot who didn't check the weather." As I was going up Sawmill I saw a guy on a sportbike almost as soaked as I was. That was a nice feeling.

Love riding..sometimes. I took..it out...to get used to riding it...wet. I com...on my bike...I...get used to getting caught...

yeah.....me too..

jk

After I got past the fear of wiping out and was comfortable riding in the rain, I actually enjoyed it too.

Yep, checked the weather yesterday morning. It said no rain till later in the evening. I left a little before 5, the sky kept getting darker and the closer to home I got the darker it got. I just kept thinking a little farther without rain makes me that much closer to home when it does rain. About 5 miles from home it started to lighting, I didn't think that was a good sign. It started raining right when I got home and it poured. Damn weather people.

+1

I left work in downtown Columbus at about 5 PM. I was going to try and wait it out but I needed to go to UPS before they closed at 7. So I said fuck it and decided to head home in Powell. I thought about going up I-71, which would have been a bit out of the way but I might have been able to get up north without getting heavy rain. I could have taken the storm head on and went 270 towards Hilliard up to Sawmill. That's my usual route but the clouds were dark as hell up that way. I decided to split the difference and take 315. I didn't stop unles absolutely necessary. For a few miles, while traffic was stopped, I rode the shoulder (only going about 15mph).

When I got to Ackerman, it came down. I got off of 315 and took back roads up to Powell. I was soaked to my undies. Instead of thinking I was "the cool guy on the nice bike," I was "the idiot who didn't check the weather." As I was going up Sawmill I saw a guy on a sportbike almost as soaked as I was. That was a nice feeling.

I have gotten used to riding in the rain and I always feel like a douche sitting at a light soaked why everyone in their cage is looking at me but as soon as I see another bike soaked and miserable I feel much better. I often find myself laughing at them and thinking they are stupid, then I again realize I am on my bike too and am just as dumb.

Yeah, I got caught in this shit too...I was headed over to Hinds to pick up parts for the g/f's bike. I even looked at the radar and was thinking that it looked pretty isolated but then it hit Columbus and just sat over the city for like 3 hours.

Yeah, I got caught in this shit too...I was headed over to Hinds to pick up parts for the g/f's bike. I even looked at the radar and was thinking that it looked pretty isolated but then it hit Columbus and just sat over the city for like 3 hours.

Wolfman, is your g/f riding now? When I joined the site you were just teaching her.....

Wolfman, is your g/f riding now? When I joined the site you were just teaching her.....

She has been riding for a few weeks but hasn't gone out on any serious rides. We are still doing a little work on her bike getting it more road ready..

I got caught in the rain yesterday too. I started tracking it around 4:15 and when I left at 5pm it was right over top of me (polaris). The worst part is making my way to 315S from chase because it's stop and go traffic for 20 mins and I was soaked through within about 4mins...

By the time I made it to bethel road the rain stopped and I was able to get to grandview before the real shitstorm hit

I got caught in the rain yesterday too. I started tracking it around 4:15 and when I left at 5pm it was right over top of me (polaris). The worst part is making my way to 315S from chase because it's stop and go traffic for 20 mins and I was soaked through within about 4mins...

By the time I made it to bethel road the rain stopped and I was able to get to grandview before the real shitstorm hit

did all of your paint wash off??