Track Gear

DrEvil3264

I was looking into doing some track days this summer. Of course i need to get all the proper gear, those of you who have done track days, where can i get all the gear for the lowest price. Also i was debating on whether or not to take the california superbike school at mid ohio, or take the money for that one day class and buy all the gear i need and just do a few track days and get the hang of it. Im low on money, and just wanted to know where everyone got their stuff at, even if its lightly used thats fine by me. Thanks for the replys guys.

I havent done any track days yet, but I've looked into it. As soon as I get all the gear, I'll be going.

I'd recommend buying all the gear and going to a track day, rather than a school. Most track days are divided into ability groups. The new riders group usually has a class, and are well supervised. Check out www.sportbiketracktime.com.

thanks man seems like a great site, only one thing i dont know what size i need. Im pretty tall (6 ft 4), skinny (185 lbs), and i wear 36/36 pants. They have a teknic suit on closeout but it seems to be way too small.

you'll prolly have to get a custom suit. I'm 6'2" 195 and i barely can get away with a joe rocket 52. And to be honest, i'd say the Fasttrax program is the best bet. I've talked to some other instructors, and they've all agreed that the Fasttrax is the best way to begin.

Guest xxxyyyzzz
Originally posted by Amped_Import-Suzuki:

haha you got the same problem I do... im 6 ft 3 and only 125 lbs.... try finding 29/34 pants

I was once like you...

Then I turned 25 and went on the tequila-beer-and-steak diet for a summer, followed by something similar but healthier ever since.

Now at damn near 30 I'm 170lbs...

Welcome to 33/34s... :D

Hell, even the biceps caught up to the forearms. I don't miss those days AT ALL.

Originally posted by DragKnee66:

[QB] track days arent cheap. Youll easily spend 300-500 bucks going just 1 time. Youll need a full leather suit as well

i was just checking sportbiketracktime.com and it says $195 for a day pass at mid ohio, is there other days they have track days or is just like a once a month thing. Why is it so expensive? Also, it says boots that cover the ankles, would my icon superduty boots be legal at the track, or do i need full race boots?

Your icon boots would be fine as long as your a beginner. The full race gear is required for the intermedate and above groups. The track days at mid-ohio are about once a month. However, there are other tracks near enough to participate. BeaveRun, Gratten, Putnam, and Gingerman are all within about a 3-4 hour drive and only run about $100-$160 a day.

edit: That $100-$160 only covers admission. Your bike has to pass inspection before your allowed on the track. And if your tires are low on tread, you may have to buy some while your there. Also, dont forget gas, food, and lodging if you stay over night.

alright thanks man,i have some michelin pilot powers with about a 1000 miles on them, im guessing by july ill have 3000 on them, will that be enough tread you think?? I also plan on riding my bike up there because i have no other way to transport it.

Originally posted by Street Pilot:

Your tires need to be around 90%. Keep a wad of cash prepared, as you will probably need a new rear at least.

You have another post asking about a textile suit, then this one asking about track gear... Why not get a leather suit?

Its a matter of money, i was looking into getting the textile pants for the street since i dont have ne riding pants. I would love to get a joe rocket GPX 2 piece, but i dont have $600. I wanted to try out the track and see if its something i would want to do again before dropping all the money for gear. 90% tread? damn, this is gonna be one expensive ass day...

Dont ride to a track day. What are you gonna do if you trash your bike? Then you gotta find a way to get it, and you home. And if you got to any other track than mid-ohio, your talking a 3-4 hour drive at least. Not to mention, by the time you get there, you wont even feel like riding anymore. And if you ride anyway... You'll be more prone to making mistakes due to fatigue and you sure as hell wont feel like riding home.