Few Newb Questions

mrblunt

At a family cookout today i learned my wifes cousin has a 01 GSX-r 600 for sale. His father was telling me about it and we went over to see the bike. Its the yellow/black paint scheme, salvage title(evidently due to the bike being laid down that broke the left foot peg and shifter arm. The break was welded back together and appears to be in working order. He is going to have it inspected and i guess this will clean the salvage title (??). I dont know much about the process so i'm ignorant of the subject) a M4 exhaust and is

been lowered by the place on frank road. The front fairing has a small crack in it and the back one has a decent crack in it as well. These may be fixed when i get around to offering him something for it. I guess is got around 3000 miles on it and it just sits in the garage. I've seen some 750's on cycletrader for around 3200ish so i was thinking of offering him 2-2500 for it. What kinda price do you think should be good for the both of us in its condition?

I'm thinking a 600 is a good starter for someone of my size. I"m about 6'2 and 207 lbs. Anything smaller than a 600 i figured i'd look massive on. The black on black zx10-r that i want is out of my price range now that my wife is at ODU getting her masters and i'm at Devry. Any opinions are welcome, thanks in advance.

It would be a nice bike for you Chad.

BUT.

Youll hate the fact that its lowered. With you being so big anyways, you wont even be able to turn that thing. When me and Jay were on his R6 when it was lowered, it honestly SUCKED to ride.

If you could get the thing for 2500 bucks Ide buy it.

If it comes down to bringing money to go get it, make sure you give me a call, Ill come down and look it over for you ;)

Originally posted by DragKnee66:

BUT.

Youll hate the fact that its lowered. With you being so big anyways, you wont even be able to turn that thing. When me and Jay were on his R6 when it was lowered, it honestly SUCKED to ride.

If it comes down to bringing money to go get it, make sure you give me a call, Ill come down and look it over for you ;)

How easy would it be to get it back to stock height? His dad was saying its very easy to move the front of it up and down but i dont know much about it.

Josh your probably right. Anyone know of where i can get information regarding salvage titles and why something has one. I thought the insurance company had to total it for that to happen or the frame had to be damaged in some way. I noticed on cycletrader a lot of bikes have salvage titles, probably b/c they've all been crashed up smile.gif

Chad, it shouldn't be difficult to raise at all. You loosen the forks in the triple clamp and drop them down. I'm not sure how the rear is lowered on the GSX-Rs. I'm assuming they use dogbones, in which case all you should really need to do is remove the dogbones.

Certainly should be easier than lowering a car.

I don't know much about salvage titles, other than that it kills the resale of a bike. Beyond that, I haven't a clue. It doesn't take a lot of damage to total a bike though. Fairings are expensive. I've heard of bikes being totalled because the frame got scratched up and the insurance company didn't want to pay someone to go over it. I don't know how true that is, though.

BTW, ZX-10R > beginners. That is not a good starter bike. My ZX-9 has more power than I'll probably ever use and it is down about 35 hp to the 1000s, and weighs about 50 lbs more. I honestly have no idea how anyone but racers can handle these 04/05 liter bikes on the street.

Of course, I'll probably upgrade someday anyhow :D

A lowered GSX-R isn't as bad as you guys make it out to be. Our bike is lowered one link in the back and an inch in the front.... and it rides damn good. it's acutally much better when riding. i've noticed that it cuts the wind extremly well and still takes turns like a champ. there are no stunting problems either. it does wheelies and stoppies with the best of them.

Mr Blunt... I'd give the lowered aspect a shot and make a decision for yourself. I thought that I'd hate it lowered since I just got the hang of it at stock height, but it only took me about 5 minutes to get used to it and fall in love with it. Just my .02

For those of us that dont frequent track day like you lowering the bike isnt a hinderance. Didnt he say he was a starter, well i doubt it being lowered will cause him to scrap his fairings on the side at mid ohio since hes new. lower the bike it looks good and if you want to you can drag it alittle. I made links for ours, so i have a jig to make them for the gixxer if you want some let me know. IMO

actually, last i knew john hasnt even been to a trackday. a lowered 600 with a 215lb rider is gonna sag pretty far compared to stock. much of any lean angle is gonna scrape the plastic/pegs. Plus being the same height as chad, i know what it's like to ride a bike that's too small, it gets real uncomfortable, real quick. Lowering should only be done for shows,short people, and drag racing. These bikes are built to be twisty machines, why would anyone want to change that??

My boyfriend (nther91) isn't exactly on the short side. he is 6'8.he's a also weighs a tad more than you guys too.... honestly... the whole lowered thing is only an opinion. It is up to the individual rider. You'll never know what you like and don't like till you try it. I'd suggest giving each height a fair shot. a couple weeks on each eight should let you know what you like the best.

Mr Blunt, if you would like to sit on a lowered 750 vs a lowered 650 and see if there is a difference, you are more than welcome to sit on our bike! Good luck with your decision of bikes and height.

Originally posted by Muthapucka:

it mite be tuff to fit on chad. i cant have a 600 because i hit my legs on the fairing. u and i are pretty close in height. i'd say a 750 would be about the rite size.

WTF!?!? graemlins/wtf.gif In 2001, they are the same size???

The only thing debatable is it being lowered. $20 dog bones and it's back at the stock height. Otherwise you could proabably find some used take-offs on ebay for $5.

It would be a great started bike but $2,500 may be high with a salvage title. I would make damn sure the frame isn't bent.

[ 14. June 2005, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Got-Busa? ]

Its my wifes cousin who owns the bike, his dad is the one selling it (i'm guessing he paid for it originally). Hes an honest guy and i'm pretty sure he wouldnt dick me over. Its a little hard to believe that the bike would be totaled for that damage but i'm guessing they wouldnt consider it safe to fix the bike by re-welding the break. I'm guessing they proper way to fix it would be to replace that part of the frame and they didn't want to pay for that or something... at this point i'm not sure.

If i do get it then i'm for sure going to raise it back up. When i sat on the thing my knees kinda kicked out like I sat on a childs bicycle or something. I'm going in knowing that it probably will get old after a short period of time and i'll want something bigger. I have a little girl so i'm not buying it to go out and be an ass on it. I have some buddies that have bikes and i'd like to go kick it with them and I like the fact i'll have much closer parking at school and work plus the gas milage they get. Its going to be a toy but it will be a long time before i tried to race with the thing.

Originally posted by Got-Busa?:

WTF!?!? graemlins/wtf.gif In 2001, they are the same size???

The fairings on a 600 come a good deal closer, the 600 is a lot more compact than the 750. I was sitting on the '05s earlier this year and i just cant fit on the damn thing.

The fairings on a 600 come a good deal closer, the 600 is a lot more compact than the 750. I was sitting on the '05s earlier this year and i just cant fit on the damn thing.

The 05's are exactly the same size. Even more than the 01's! Take a ruler with you, I'm not BS'n you!

but are the fairings sittin in the exact same spots? I'm just sayin that when i sit on the bike, my knees hit the plastic and on the 750 they dont. Could be rearsets or the way the plastics are positioned. idk but it's not exactly the same

Guest 1_slow_600
Originally posted by DragKnee66:

BUT.

Chad dont listen to him. He dosent even know how to ride tongue.gif

Guest 1_slow_600

it mite be tuff to fit on chad. i cant have a 600 because i hit my legs on the fairing. u and i are pretty close in height. i'd say a 750 would be about the rite size.

they are both the same. Just differnet colors