Question about Yamaha YZF-600

Dweet

I recently bought a brand new YZF-600R. The bike had 13 miles on it when the following occured. I was at a stop light in first gear and was letting the clutch out slowly when all of a sudden my bike sounded like it was a chainsaw. It revved high on its own so I hit the kill switch. After I looked down there was a puddle of clutch goo in the street. In the clutch fluid there was a broken pin. It is about 2 inches long and one end was thicker than the other. It was broken in half. Next to the pin was a rubber strap. Anyways the clutch doesnt have an resistance and the chain came off and tore up the rear end of the bike. Anyways the dealer said it was something that broke or was damaged after the bike fell down one time without a rider on. I dont see how this could happen from the bike falling down one time on soil, wasnt even cement without a rider on it.

ahh crap can someone move this to the motorcycle section

[ 17. May 2005, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Dweet ]

I am a bit confused about your story. When did the chain break? Just before you stopped?

Anyway, The clutch "goo" you saw was most likely motor oil. The pin you saw was probably the end of your clutch pushrod. The rubber strap, I dont know, but could have been the pushrod oil seal.

When the chain broke is relavent to the story. On those bikes, the clutch pushrod is in the direct path of the chain, when the chain breaks it breaks that rod 99% of the time. I doubt the pushrod could have broken or even been damaged in a stationary tip over, as it is protected by the front sprocket cover.

The good news is that it is a pretty simple fix and shouldnt be too expensive. Let me know if you need any help.

The bad news is there are other critical parts in the path of that chain. Definitely check out your water pump for leaks.

A sad design by yamaha. graemlins/nonono.gif

the chain is guess came off when i was sitting at the light. i was out riding around campus and then i stopped at the light. everything was fine till i started releasing my clutch, then it started revving on its own

also since the bike only has 13 miles on it, it should be under warranty... right?

If the chain broke while moving, you could have broke a case when the chain swung around. If that is the case, it will be a PITA to fix and very pricey. If it was just the chain and the pushrod that broke, it won't be bad. Hope the chain didn't do more damage than you know.

well the dealer isnt wanting to honor the warranty. this is because they are saying when the bike fell the rear wheel slide forward or was moved in a manner to damage the chain tensioner in the back. The damage is clearly on the front on the bike and its just minor scratches on the stator cover and no scratches on the rear where they are saying the bike might have possibly landed on.

lesson learned here.. dont go to yamaha of columbus

thats funny because they said they could not prove it was the fall or something that wasnt possibly torqued down properly. which i think is the case. because the part that "was damaged" in the fall according to them. my arguement was that the product was not tested before the fall and therefor it wasnt clear if it was the fall or a manfacturers defect

• 1 month later...
Guest 420GSXR1000

glad it werked out....hell yes that a warrenty thing......and now you can tell them that you posted all over the internet about your "hassle" with them, tell that to the owner!!!!!

Yamaha of Cbus SUCKS!!!!!!!