rod bearings

Guest drifter

You should pull the motor to do this, but you dont have to. I pulled my pistons in 2.5 hours today w/o yanking it.

You should have the head off. The crank should be completely removed so that you can micropolish it.

-If you spun a bearing and you replace it with the same crank we will laugh.

-You need some plastigauge to make sure the spec is correct. If you dont use that, you will cry.

-You basicly need plenty of time to correct the mistakes you will inevitably make.

-You should pay someone else to do it if the most youve installed is an air filter.

Does anyone have advice or has everyone forgotten this...

This section is for tech help and/or technical discussions. Use the following guidelines when posting or replying:

1. When people ask for help, please be sensitive to the fact that they like their car as much as you like yours, and that having it broken is likely to be expensive and stressful for them. Flip or smart ass replies are not useful and will be deleted.

2. Give accurate and helpful information -- best guesses are fine, but indicate that they are such. If you DON'T KNOW, don't respond. Defer to people with firsthand knowledge of the type of car in question, and/or who have experience with the problem encountered.

3. When posting a question, please be as complete as you can and to mention the make, model, year, and engine type of the car you are asking about.

4. If your question was not answered and you want to move your post back to the top, just reply with "TTT" to move it back up. Please don't do this more than twice. If you've gotten no response by then, it's likely that no one here knows the answer.

5. Always double check answers given here with information on forums dedicated to your type of car.

6. Feel free to post a follow-up once you've gotten your problem fixed to let everyone know how things went.

7. Off topic and non-technical posts will be deleted, and the poster MAY receive a strike as a warning in some cases.

8. Personal insults or flaming will not be tolerated, and WILL result in post deletion and a warning strike.

If you have an issue with a post in this forum, please contact one of the moderators: SamZman or SupraGlue and we'll take care of it.

Thanks,

Very sound advice is this:

He should not tackle this project if he does not know what is involved, UNLESS he has someone help him who knows what he is doing.

I have installed many sets of bearings, and if he wants them to last, he needs to know what the F he is doing.

"ladys ladys i got it under control one moks what one does not understand"

^^^ And that has to be the single gayest sentence I've seen on this board.

Guest drifter
guys before you all make asses of yourselfs look at my profile... see where it says designer? and dirt track racing? that means i do this for a living. i design and assemble custom race engins as well as street ones to. if you dont belive me i will send you pictures of the 2003 ohio state outlaw modified champ (my dad) using the motor that i built. and if you want more prof i will send a copy of vendors licens and business card. and if thats still not enough i will give you names of everyone that runs one of our motors. you can ask lustful-and BLACKITR-guy. they have both seen what we do and have been there during some assembalies. so dont be asses and dont put down what you dont evin know.

Originally posted by stocklt1:

Because when you build race engines for a livng you can't waste time learning about stupid little details like rod bearings. Anyways, bearings are for pussys. Just put some assembly lube on it and it will be fine.

+1

The fact that you are so willing to present proof of your experience speaks novels as to your level of insecurity about the issue.

The fact that you list everything your dad put on your car and even some stuff that came stock thus creating the longest and most worthless sig of all tells the tale of you personal insecurity.

Dont ask questions that you are supposedly an expert on and criticise those who even bother to reply.

My ballot is cast for tool of the month.

PS. Sorry for violating rules 1, 7, 8. It was worth a strike.

Guest drifter

well asses i guess iv never put rod bearings in a shit honda with the motor still in it. wanted to know if ther was anything in the way i should know about. that mixed with the fact that i work with mostly small block chevys. hence the reason i asked a simple little question. did not know i would offend all you gods. if you have nothin better to do than give me a bunch of shit for a frikin question like that go to hell. if everyone was half as smart as you guys givin me crap the world would never have a problem. and one more thing on that topic no one will ever be right but you guys.

as for the people who gave me a fair responce thank you

the rest of you dicks. go f*ck yourselves graemlins/finger.gif

Understandably, not all engines are the same. He may have built 100+ SBC engines, but that does not qualify nor give him the experience to tear apart a Honda engine, let alone attempt to replace rod bearings with the engine still in the car.

He was asking a simple question, so I personally see that he deserves a fair answer, if one is available. If no one here knows, then he'll need to go somewhere else like a Honda-only forum. If someone do know, then please be kind enough to speak up. I know we've got quite a few Honda owners who tinker on here, whether or not they've rebuilt theirs or someone else's engine is another question.

That being said, lay off the guy. His grammar and spelling may suck (sorry drifter, a pet peeve of mine), but at least he's asking a legitimate question and not something like how to install washer lights on his hood.

Understandable? :rolleyes:

BTW drifter, I do have a small bone to pick with you. I've asked you before, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't see my post then. You need to trim your sig a bit, or at least consoldate it into less lines. Thanks smile.gif

my bad.

ladys ladys i got it under control one moks what one does not understand
I think it was that, not to mention the holier than thou following post that got the negative ball rolling. I was being serious when I said to leave it to someone else if he had no experience. Oh well. My E-Feelings Arent E-Hurt by the E-Silverback

[ 31. December 2003, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: iwishiwascool ]

alright, all bullshit aside. Why not a Honda it was a 4 banger in a FWD car so it still applys.

First off, if the car is an automatic. Then you can do it under the car, with the motor in the car. Standards this doesn't apply because you can't ge the motor and tranny far enough apart to drop the crank out. If it's a stick, you have two options. Pull the motor and tranny as a unit. sperate them and do the bearings, or pull just the tranny and do the bearings under the car.

Now. As far as messing with just doing the bearings, I really would not sugest it. When I spun a bearing in my Reliant, I bought a crank kit. By the time you pull the crank, find it's damaged, get it turned, buy bearings and put it all back together, you have three days in it. A crank kit, you just swap it. If you are quick with the tools it will take 10 hours of work I would guess. If not or you run into something, you will have two days in it, but that is it.

I would also sugest swapping the oil pump at that point too. I figure that its got some miles on it. And something caused the bearings to fail to begin with.

As far as phyically doing it in the car, if it's an automatic. Just seperate the motor and tranny, and wedge a block of wood in between to keep em apart, but be aware that it's not a perfect senario and if you get it bouncing around the wood can come out. If your hand is in between it will tend to hurt a little bit.

Other than that, remember to use jack stands and all that stuff. Because even if we flame your ass, we still all appericate you being on here and would have to break in some other sucker to flame if you dropped a car on your head.

Other than that. THe other thing I would say is get a Haynes or Chilton manual for the car an have it handy. Not so much for the bearing swap its self. But getting the cam timing right and other wierd shit that you would not expect.

I fell victim to this myself several times. Specifically when I did the crank kit. I had the cam timing 2 teeth off. I assumed that a hole in the cam gear was a timing mark and it wasn't. I fucked with that car for 3 days trying to get it to run right. A buddy brought over him big Chilton book, and it 30 min we had it timed and running. As funny as this sounds, the book is gold, I learned to fix cars myself with a Chilton book, a broken car and very few tools from JC Penny's (Yes, for those that remember PennCraft Tools, I had a set, dad's actually and still have a few here and there)

[ 31. December 2003, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Desperado ]