removing body from frame

Dave1647545494

I'm going to put new body mounts in paint the frame and replace all the fuel and brake lines before I get started on major body work like floors and quarters.

I have a pretty good Idea about what this is going to entail removing the interior disconecting the wiring harnesses pull the motor but sometimes its the little details that get ya.

if any of you have done this before lemme know if anything special has to be removed to get it apart.

Car is 1971 skylark custom (GM A-BODY) but if you've pulled the cab off of a truck its probably about the same

any help or ides appreciated

thanks

this is just an idea.. but i would get some masking tape and paper/pen and every wire you disconnect number both ends with tape and write it down on paper... this way you keep track of every wire disconnected and can check it off when putting it back together and you also get the wires correct.

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by still2high:

this is just an idea.. but i would get some masking tape and paper/pen and every wire you disconnect number both ends with tape and write it down on paper... this way you keep track of every wire disconnected and can check it off when putting it back together and you also get the wires correct.

+1. Plan B would to be hack n' slash all the wires and just rewire it since you're going to the hassle of doing the work anyway.

I'm not overly concerned with the wiring and stuff I've got the factory assembly manual- the one they used in 1970 at the factory to put the car together. the 1971 fisher body manual and the dealer service book. I wsa more wondering about bracing up the body when removing to keep it from twisting or flexing. the motor tranny gastank and most of the interior have been removed I'm also pulling the fron tclip seperatly because the core support needs some serious welding to make it right again. I'll take some pictures when I have it all apart.

I don't think tack welding some 1 by1 braceing inside the body would be a bad idea, that body is not a sturdy as it once was and once it twists it is a bitch to get back. but just my thought

Also dave the forklift and trailer are around if that helps ;)