Installing a Turbo on a Cavalier? PLEASE!

Guest Paintufast

Guest Paintufast
I have a 2001 Chevy Cavalier 2.2L. The famous "McDonalds" car. Anyways Brandon (Gimpy) and I found a Garrett Turbo in a SAAB recently. It has about 60,000 miles on it. Well who can get this thing on my car? And for how much? Should I goto someplace like Passen Motorsports or what? I just want to make my car as fast as this little turbo can go. Please help me out! Thanks. :confused:

You will need an exhaust mannifold that will mate the turbo to the head, a downpipe, oil and coolant piping for the turbo, an intercooler with piping, a blow off valve and some sort of fuel management to increase fueling under boost. The best thing to do is find out as much information about turbocharging a Cavalier from other owners as possible and then do it yourself. You will learn a lot, save yourself a lot of money and you will be able to fix problems when they come up (which is bound to happen with a turbocharged car). Hope that helps.

yeah i would say the best thing to do is try some cavy boards on the net and talk to someon who has done it... but like everythign else its trial and error... get a fmu though.... you cna get one on ebay. they will work for turbos or supercharges... that will be for your fuel managment. and most likely you computer wil need reburnt. computers always need reburnt... or a new one.... haha its gonna be a project.. let me know how it goes

Guest Paintufast
Originally posted by gimpy21:

maybee if we just throw it under the hood and duct tape to some things it would work?????? possibly???????? i could be wrong........

smile.gif

DAMN STRAIGHT B, I'll buy the duct tape. Everyone come over tonight and well hook the little f*cker up in a jiffy! :rolleyes:

If you also need some help there is a Super Street or Sport Compact that talks about turboing a Cavy. It gives you the info on a step-by-step basis. Its towards the back and on the cover of the magizine it says something like "Track Assassins" or something to that nature. Good luck with the swap. :D Ohh and Gimby that duct tape idea might work on Legends but not Chevys sorry. :D j/k man.

Guest gimpy21
like i said, give me a 6-pack and 2 days.... ill have it under the hood..... dont know if it will work but it will be in there by god, just break out the duct tape and maybee weld a few things together smile.gif lol..........

Cavys can take more then 5psi... there are a few people running 7psi... they lean out at about 9, and thats usually around when they blow up, but up to 7psi is seems to be working good, and 8psi is probly pushing it.

Btw, people are also using manifolds from the 87-89 cavys as the turbo manifold, dunno if that will work on the 2000+ models but i dont see why it wouldnt? ... like doug said check out jbody.org, and make a post about it, you should get some awnsers there. smile.gif

[ 08 October 2002, 05:18 AM: Message edited by: akaRED ]

Guest turbosupra
Originally posted by RX7dood:

i suggest you.....not take it to passen

No kidding. Those guys are the biggest f**king idiots to ever be let inside a perormance shop. Might as well give up on the car now if goes in there.

As you're probably picking up on now Paintufast, the turbo itself is only a minor part of the cost of turbocharging a car. Just because you can get a turbo cheap/free, doesn't mean you won't still be out a couple/few grand by the time it's done.

You shouldn't need to worry about running lean at any particular boost level. You shouldn't even think about this project if you're not willing to spend money to make sure your fuel system is up to it, and get it tuned on a dyno. Turbocharging/supercharging a car without a lot of quality time with a wideband O2 is a recipe for a blown motor.

Here is the instructions, IM NOT 100000% sure it will fit the 2000+ up, but everything seems to check out, as long as its not the ecotec it should work. (i plan on trying this over the winter)

2.2 L BONEYARD TURBO PROJECT GUIDE: (steps if using t3 turbo)

ITEMS NEEDED:

1. T3 turbo in good condition internally wastegated(mine was out of a saab 1987 saab 900 turbo)

2. 1988 cavalier 2.0 steel exhaust manifold (other years may work)

3. T3 flange to weld to the exhaust manifold (you also need a t3 gasket)

4. oil line kit with fittings and lines for oil inlet and return line

5. 90 degree nitrile or silicone adapter for compressor outlet

6. intake tubing to go from 90 degree adapter to throttle body

7. saab 3 bolt turbo exhaust outlet flange

8. custom exhaust piping from flange to current exhaust

9. new coolant line to replace metal line that bolts to stock manifold

10. boost gauge

11. blow off valve

12. bolts or studs for bolting turbo to exhaust manifold

13 air filter for compressor of turbo

14. you will need several things customized. First you will need to get the t3 flange welded to your manifold.(i welded mine on the drivers side of the manifold and then cut the hole in the manifold for the outlet to the turbo), You will need to customize the oil drain tube ( i cut mine to 6" and then welded the top lip on so i can still use the dipstick)next you will need a bung welded to your intake pipe for your blow off valve if you are using a bov. You will need to clock the turbo so the flange and intake outlet are in the correct position.

INSTALLATION:

1. remove stock exhaust manifold

2. mount modified turbo manifold (reassemble everything)

3. mount turbo to turbo manifold

4. tap turbo return line into oil pan and also reinstall oil dipstick tube

5. connect oil return line to turbo

6. connect fittings to oil pressure point at back of engine

7. connect incoming oil supply line from engine fitting to turbo fitting

8. connect intake hose from throttle body to your turbo and install air filter to turbo.

9. connect down pipe from turbo to existing exhaust

10. connect bov(blow off valve) to vacuums line on the intake manifold

11. Connect your metal coolant replacement line

12. run your lines for boost gauge and tap into a vacuum line on intake manifold

13. do a test run

If you do it, it shouldnt cost more then 800$ if you shop around, and since you already have the turbo. The guy who came up with these directions did it for 500$, hope that helps smile.gif

[ 08 October 2002, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: akaRED ]

Originally posted by Jelloman457:

Good post Aaron. Turboing on a stock internaled cavy will not be all that difficult. When you get to the internals thats when you starting dropping the F-bomb. Like I said good luck

well since its not diffucult why don't you let jelloboy here have ur cavy for a weekend and let him try to put a turbo on, and if it doesn't work, he has to pay to get it done somewhere tongue.gif

seriously tho like eveyrone said its much deeper than just the turbo, a lot of work, a lot of money.

Guest Paintufast
I just wanted to thank every body who posted on here, and invite everyone out to play paintball this Sunday Oct 13th! You know u wanna so PM me, and lets play some Pball. Thanks for your help...now can anyone do it for free? Lol (inside joke kinda)

Guest Paintufast
Originally posted by Hoosier Daddy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Paintufast:

now can anyone do it for free? Lol

I'll do it for free... but I get to test drive it first, at 12 lbs of fun! :D Not responsible for damage</font>Let me think about it, well I'm done...How about...NO....lol Good try though.

From some one who converted a NA car to turbo, its freaking pain. IT takes alot of time & money.

Id only do it if you were trying to double your engines out put.. NOS is alot cheaper. and easier.

I had a premade turbo kit, there were computer programers out and i could have about everything i needed, as long as i had the cash.

things to ask your selfHow much boost can the engine take before i have to change it.

drive train

fuel system?

computer. (im finding out im not to far away on what my MAF can generate in frequency. fast systems are $$)

on a good note, i guess, i saw a guy at the track who converted his caviler into a turbo cav. guess he got into the engine to make it handle boost. He was running flat 13's. To me though its not worth that much work to get 13's.

Guest import hesh

even tho i never liked gay bo..oh,i mean j-bodys,i would suggest to supercharge it instead

of the turbo thing,less headaches and a dealership could put it in and also warrenty it..just a suggestion...but dude you gotta drop the dollar general chrome strips ;)