Best stand-alone for 240sx?

SHIEF

I'm piecing my turbo kit together, and adding up the numbers and thinking I should just go with a stand-alone, but I'm not sure. Since I'd be doing my dyno stuff around here, I was wondering what do you import buffs/dyno tuners think. What's the best/easiest/cost efficient system to use? This will be on my 89 240 with the Sohc KA.

There are several options for a standalone, all depends on which features are most important to you. Here is a quick rundown to just give you an idea of what’s out there.

If a plug n play version were available, my first choice would be the AEM EMS. It has proven success, and I have been very impressed with the amount of flexibility I have over just about everything with the vehicles that I have tuned with it. However plug n play is not ready yet for the 240, the AEM engineers are supposed to be working on one now. So in the mean time you would have to use a different non-240 specific box and make a custom wiring harness. If you were going with the SR20DET the Apexi Power FC is a plug and play standalone and would be another great option. I don't believe they have an application for the KA though, but I could be wrong.

For “one size fits all” stand alones, which come with an un-terminated wiring harness of their own, there are a few more options:

Electromotive TEC 3

Autronic SMC

Haltec E6K or E11

SDS as was mentioned earlier

Efi Technologies ($$$ :eek: )

Others based on retaining the stock ECU in a modified form:

Jim Wolf Tech reprogrammed stock ECU

MAP ECU speed density piggyback

EPROM emulator with real time trace

The JWT ECU will require the least amount of work, will retain all of your stock accessories and drivability, but it has a large lead time to get it and you have to send it back each time you want a reprogram, or run a piggyback like an AFC for minor tuning changes. I currently have a JWT ECU in my 300ZX, and it has been great, starts every time, and you know it is a safe program as long as you don’t overboost. I plan on having it reburned for bigger injectors, and using an AFC2 for fine adjustments. It is simple and reliable.

The MAP ECU will allow the ECU to recognize a boost signal with a map sensor, but has limited tunability in certain situations when compared with a full standalone since it is still a piggyback. It is like the HKS VPC but with laptop programmable maps and more points of alteration.

An EPROM emulator is basically what JWT does, just doing it yourself and allowing future changes by the end user. This requires a decent amount of programming knowledge and is not for everybody. The TEC3 comes with it’s own coil packs and has a pretty good windows based interface. The Autronic comes with it’s own optical trigger disk which is a plus. The Haltec is a bit older, and I don’t like the interface with it as much as some of the others. EFI technologies has a very professional level product. I loved working with it because it has more options to play with then you could ever possibly dream of, but will most likely cost more then the whole rest of your car, lol.

If you want any more details about a system, each of these have their own webpage you can read up on, or just ask me here if you have a specific question. I just didn’t want to type out a novel listing every detail from each of them. We have quite a bit of experience with Nissans, and Ricky is our resident 240 expert so I am sure he will chime in if I left anything out. If you want to see how well a SR20DET can run with just the stock T25, I am sure he would be more then willing to take you for a spin, or you could just ask Hoop-D... tongue.gif:D

-Brett

We currently have a car running on SDS and it works pretty well. With a simple street tune the car had awesome drivability and got beautiful gas mileage out of boost. The guys at racetech who put out SDS also give excellent customer service.

Check out the SDS website they have a couple of tech articles based on their turbo 240sx and there are a few of them in the users vehicles section

I'm going to be ordering a DTA system for my car shortly so I can finish all the minor preps to install the turbo. This system has quite a few more bells and whistles than the SDS and costs more but the ease of install on my application and the number of people using it in my opinion make up for the price difference.

I would say that while any competent tuner should be able to tune any system if you're going to end up with standalone get one that your tuner is faimilar with. If you're going to try to tune it yourself get one that other people are using on their vehicles in the area or on vehicles like yours out in cyberspace. The help that people already using the system can provide you is invaluable. I know while installing the SDS while I didn't actually talk to anyone using the same setup as me talking to people using the SDS in general was a big help and they answered a lot of my questions.

-jeff

Yeah a friend of mine (before he became a punk biatch) had the AEM in his H22 Accord, and I like the way that system was setup. AEM is saying they will have a system out in 10 months for KA's. I'm thinking I should just wait for that, and piggy-back the best I can until then. I'll just use the ol' distributor to retard timing, because I don't wanna shell out the money for the MSD boost retard box setup if I'm only going to use it for a little while.

Go with the Apexi Power FC. That is the most popular ECU upgrade for the SR20 and easy to use.

AEM does not make one for the 240 unless you want to hardwire it which is a pain.

Next choice would be the Microtech. Easy to use with the programability of the AEM.

Any questions give me a call. I have sold many Power FC's for the 240 and tune with them all the time.

Jason

www.advancedimports.com

Originally posted by Im Joel:

Dont count on aem. The system for my far has been "1-3 months away" for well over a year.

car? If its a supra the 89+ just were released. 87-88 can't too far behind. Though it took forever to get the 89+ out. If I run out of afm with the Lex AFM I'll probably go MAP ECU.

Guest Ranger_Man

for turboing the KA go with the jim wolf ecu. it may take a while but buying a second ecu can be had for *cheap*. so you can still drive your car around N/A and just wait for it to come back to you to put on the turbo. i also cant recall anyone mentioning ever having problems with the jim wolf ecu. it is also relatively cheap when compared to some of the stand alones.

as for the AEM... dont hold your breath waiting for it. it has supposedly been in the works for oh about 3 years now with no suggestion of it being out soon.

Guest mudbutt
Originally posted by Doug:

car? If its a supra the 89+ just were released. 87-88 can't too far behind. Though it took forever to get the 89+ out. If I run out of afm with the Lex AFM I'll probably go MAP ECU.

Yeah. I have an 89, but the aem was supposed to be out for it over a year ago. I may have one if it were released at that time. I ran out of money and had to sell all of my stuff and basicly start from scratch with a lower power goal. IMO if you run past what the lexus can do, it is time for standalone. You can get something like an sds for the cost of the mapecu. The problem with a piggyback when you are modded that far is you really need to adjust timing and have better control over the fuel maps. I personally went with vpc but that is ONLY because I got it for $250 and my afm electronics are bad, so I was looking at 220-225 easy to go to a lexus.

Guest mudbutt
Originally posted by Beer Guy:

for turboing the KA go with the jim wolf ecu. it may take a while but buying a second ecu can be had for *cheap*. so you can still drive your car around N/A and just wait for it to come back to you to put on the turbo. i also cant recall anyone mentioning ever having problems with the jim wolf ecu. it is also relatively cheap when compared to some of the stand alones.

as for the AEM... dont hold your breath waiting for it. it has supposedly been in the works for oh about 3 years now with no suggestion of it being out soon.

I know a guy with a sr20de that is boosted, he has the wolf chip. the car runs horribly rich. When he contacted them about the problem, they told them that is just how they do it, and wouldnt assist him anymore. Ive heard a few other cases of this about the wolf n/a-t conversions.

Yeah I won't and refuse to go with a JWT ecu. $600 for a JWT, hell I'm almost halfway to a stand-alone for that price. I've heard enough stories to not go with a JWT ecu. They set the ecu's up to run rich so they don't have any liability when someone blows their engine up. That way no one can say "The JWT blew my car up".

Guest mudbutt
Originally posted by Doug:

with updated firmware there looking at adding timeing control to the MAP ECU. Right now thats its only downfall.

It is still a piggyback that is close to the cost of a standalone. even if you have hacked adjustments for timing, it probably wont work for the mk3, just like the emanage. They have figured out a way to get it to work but you can only ADD timing. and on top of that, you will still have to deal with the tccs wanting to put the car back into a pig rich state.