Winter tires or all season tires?

Trouble Maker

What makes more sense in Ohio?

New car came with summer tires. Plan on keeping summer tires that can do decent in the rain for everything but the winter season. Will probably get a nice set of rims w/ new tires next spring (the tires I have right now aren't great summer tires, just decent, and I plan on going +1 anyways). That way I could have my summer tires on a set of nice rims and keep my winter/all season tires on my stock rims. It might be nice to have a second set of rims with just all seasons on them for the non-winter season too if needed. For instance swap them on for long trips so I don't use up my soft summer tires or maybe when I know it's going to rain alot but I have to drive that car (for whatever reason).

So does it even make any sense to get winter tires in ohio or does the cost and increased rate of ware just make it non-sensical for somewhere that doesn't see very much snow? Suggestions on a good winter or all season tire would cool too.

btw, this is for a 2000 audi s4.

Originally posted by White Supra:

All season. You are going to hate winter tires the other 3 seasons of the year. You already have AWD as well, so it's not even a big deal.

These tires will only be used in the winter (unless you were being sarcastic saying we have all 4 seasons during winter). Only time these would be used non-winter is for a spare set if they were all seasons. I allready have 1 set of summer tires that came on the car, and I will def. be geting better tires at the least for these rims, if not geting a whole other set of rims with summer tires that will be on the car spring, summer, and fall.

So for a tire that will only be used for the winter, still an all season set?

you can get a set of steelies and snow tires for the same price all-season tires cost, and they are far more effective in the snow. You said that you have a good set of summer tires - I would suggest running those until the threat of snow, then switch to snow tires mounted on the cheapest set of wheels you can find. My snow tire/steelie combo just may be sporting some spreewell hubcaps this winter :D

btw, snowtires generally go for $50/each, unless you go for the Blizzacks, but a snow tire is a snow tire. At the very least, put a set on your drive wheels.