car will start, then turn off, then start on second try

Guest infamous me 235

Guest infamous me 235

car will start when i turn key for a few seconds, then it will turn off, then start on second time. One time it started, turned off, then started again by itself, scared the shit out of me... dirty plugs?

thanks

If you got fuel injection then you have a fuel pump that needs to build pressure in the fuel delivery system. It could be a clogged fuel filter or something else causing fuel pressure to build slower than normal. Try turing the key to the "ON" position for 3 or 4 seconds and then switch it to start. If that works then I'd say that is the problem. My 5.7L truck starts very quickly when you do that and if not then it cranks for a few seconds.

Guest infamous me 235
Originally posted by ridenred27:

i agree with tractor see if you are getting proper fuel pressure. and some times the ignition switch will stick internaly. which will cause it to start with out warning. pull the fuel filter off and blow through it there should be almost no restriction.

works fine now smile.gif