Rusting Rotors

Hwilli1647545487

Originally posted by The TSi U Fear:

Did I say DOUS them in oil..no.

They come "lightly oiled" with some sort of lubricant when you buy then.

I would presume also..that he would clean them off before the next 160-0 dash

tongue.gif

ditto /\

I used to intall'm, they all came oiled. Jsut shoot'm with WD40 every once in a while. the brake preaseure will be more then enought to overcome the lubricant. Just expect your first stop to take a bit longer then most, and be alote smokier :D

Guest badmuthrfkr

Brett actually sprayed off my Powerslots with brake cleaner before installing them since they had that light coat of oil on them.

Dip them in vegetable oil for long lasting protection!

your better off letting them rust oil of any kind on your rotor is bad if you do decide to spray something on them make sure you clean them up good with some sort of brake cleaner before driving around if you don't the oil can get in the brake linings and ruin them

Brake pad material is porous, so whatever is on your rotors the first time you drive your car after a while, will get imbedded in the pads, and it will stay in the pads for a little while.

If you really don’t want any rust on your rotors, take them off first, and then coat them in WD-40. Just clean them off with brake clean very well before re-installing them. I would not spray them with oil while on the car and let the pads burn them off. Depending on what pads you have, the oil could cause them to break down faster then they normally would have. Not to mention the problem with having a layer of oil in-between your rotor and pad surface.

A small amount of rust won’t hurt anything, it may just make your pads squeak for a little while when you start driving the car again, because the rust will now be imbedded in the top layer of the pads. But since it’s not going to penetrate deeper into the pad like the oil would, it will burn off shortly and won’t really hurt the life of the pad.

Originally posted by BlackBird:

just use a thin oil with a low frying temp. The first time you apply the brakes, it'll vaporize right off.

Anyone hear familiar with the Porsches brake cooling system? It sprays water on the brakes under heavy peddlin'. Doesn't seem to hurt anything tongue.gif

Close, but not quite. ;)

The ones used on Porsche's actually spray water mist into the cooling duct leading to the brakes, just like water/alcohol injection for your engine. It just cools the air before it gets to the rotor, since water evaporation is an endothermic process. Spraying cold water directly onto a hot rotor would definitely cause it to crack.

The cars that I have seen use it were mid to late 80's 930 turbos that were making huge power, before bigger and better brake upgrades were available, especially since they had to fit them under the wheels, which weren't available in 18" sizes with the proper offsets for a street car at those times.

Once in a while I get a light coat of rust on my slotted rotors. All I do to clean it off is drive down the street and push the brake pedel that makes the car stop tongue.gif and the rust comes right off. It's not a big issue at all unless you let the rust build up too long.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Renner:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BlackBird:

just use a thin oil with a low frying temp. The first time you apply the brakes, it'll vaporize right off.

Anyone hear familiar with the Porsches brake cooling system? It sprays water on the brakes under heavy peddlin'. Doesn't seem to hurt anything tongue.gif

Close, but not quite. ;)

The ones used on Porsche's actually spray water mist into the cooling duct leading to the brakes, just like water/alcohol injection for your engine. It just cools the air before it gets to the rotor, since water evaporation is an endothermic process. Spraying cold water directly onto a hot rotor would definitely cause it to crack.

The cars that I have seen use it were mid to late 80's 930 turbos that were making huge power, before bigger and better brake upgrades were available, especially since they had to fit them under the wheels, which weren't available in 18" sizes with the proper offsets for a street car at those times.</font>

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/teach.gif

Preach on, preacha!!! :D