TYPE R GUYS

Black ITR Guy

what was the most effective modification done to your car either engine or suspension (but more interested in the engine). i just got some extra cash and i was looking to do at least one thing to my poor bone stock R. i know there is a few with b18c5's that they swaped in here too im sure you have some advice also. the only thing im not really open to now is nitrous i want that to be my last mod if i do it. thanks for the help

Originally posted by Ricochet:

Get a cold air intake man, vtec will sound 10x beefier and you'll gain about 10hp on that beast. How much money are you talking about? If you've got a few benjamins you should get an svafc and tune it up a bit. Please don't ever ruin that sweet engine with nitrous though. I've got some AEM B-series adj. cam gears if you want them..

I wouldnt waste my time with a vafc until you actully have something to tune, little more then a cold air intake. Get the vortech supercharger, my friends had one on there itr, it was very fun, until we fliped it at 90 on 270

Originally posted by B Dubs-b13:

I wouldnt waste my time with a vafc until you actully have something to tune, little more then a cold air intake. Get the vortech supercharger, my friends had one on there itr, it was very fun, until we fliped it at 90 on 270

just a fyi on the vortech sc, it makes its power at the redline,

so you wont enjoy that extra 100hp (ya sure) for long. And dont bother with vafc, even with i/h/e your car is stock(in my book of hondas).

I know Honda aims itself more towards reliability than performance.. I have no experience with an svafc that's why I was asking.

[/QB]

Only problem i have with this statement is that we are talking about a type R. i'm sure that honda wanted to make it reliable, but the type R is the performance honda

smile.gif

i was looking around on honda-tech.com Cams do look like a nice thing to pick up. They might not be b18c5's but you get the idea

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=46993

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=424539

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=47318

thanks for all the discussion so far, about the intake i wanted to go with the comptech ice box. i like the idea of the ram air for it. the amount is a little more than $400. i also thought about mabey puttin in the mugen head gasket that raises the compression a little but im sure that wouldnt make that much of a difference and then i was worried about running it on pump gas. but what do you think about the ice box.

Dont waste your money on stupid mods like AEM and crap like that, its worse than stock. For instance an AEM CAI dynos worse than your stock. I would recomend a header, thats the first mod to do to a R cause our intake tube is already 3 inches, if you want to get a header and drop a K&N filter in there. If you need any imput talk to me, Ive been researching our cars for over the last 2 years and I know whats good and whats not

Originally posted by steve:

Dont waste your money on stupid mods like AEM and crap like that, its worse than stock. For instance an AEM CAI dynos worse than your stock. I would recomend a header, thats the first mod to do to a R cause our intake tube is already 3 inches, if you want to get a header and drop a K&N filter in there. If you need any imput talk to me, Ive been researching our cars for over the last 2 years and I know whats good and whats not

I love watching ITR elitists, they humor me

Try out Unorthodox underdrive pullies, the full SS set, if you are interested in retaining all of your stock commodities. On my GSR, I gained about 5 and 5 across the board. Max I gained 12-13ftlbs, around 3000-3500rpm. Just don't fall for that JDM crap that's around these days, most of it is a waste of your money.

So an svac won't help tune the stock engine? I agree with the i/h/e comment but I thought lowering vtec engagement 300-500 rpm and messing with some other options can squeeze some more power out of the stock engine..

ITR Guy, how's a new clutch sound? Just another suggestion..

Why tune a stock motor :rolleyes: jesus

i wasnt planning on spending it all on just one thing. what about ignition system.

steve what headers have you found to be the best. i have been looking for them too and i have found a couple but im not sold on any yet.

and to reply to the aem is worse than stock stuff thats the reason im wanted to go with comptech spoon or mugen. they test and retest everything at tracks and fine tune everything before they market it.

Originally posted by BLACK ITR GUY:

and to reply to the aem is worse than stock stuff thats the reason im wanted to go with comptech spoon or mugen. they test and retest everything at tracks and fine tune everything before they market it.

Try looking up some stuff on J's Racing. I have seen nothing but good things about their intakes.

So, wich model Integra is easier to get quicker? There seemed to be somewhat of a talk about if the Type-R was really better then the rest, stock it is obviously? But later on does this same rule hold up? If you had the same ammount of money to spend on any Integra wich model would be faster? 94' and up. :-p

You won't reach 200whp with stock pistons naturaully aspirated.

You can turbo a Type-R as long as your tuning is good and you can maintain reasonable cylinder pressure.

The best Integra for modding IMO is the Integra LS. It's considerably cheaper than a GSR and is excellent for boost. Keep in mind that I don't believe in driving anything without a turbo. It's hard (and expensive) to go really fast naturally aspirated with a small motor. By time you did i/h/e, cams and bottom end work you could be going faster with a turbo for the same price.

I had a J's on my car and that thing was LOUD. Never had my car dynoed with it but it pulled very nicely. I highly suggest J's. Out of all the intakes I have had so far J's has been the best, and Ive had an AEM and Comptech. Get a header though. The best bang for the buck would be the JDM DC 4-1. Dont waste your money on that 2.25" collector crap cause you wont notice much at all

thanks for the feed back. but what other headers would you recomend. i thought that the 4-2-1 header was the best and can you elaborate more about the collector i dont know much about that. thanks for the help

if its ok i might pm you if i have anymore questions but im not closing my mind to anymore suggestions from the public here im still open. i had my mind set on comptech and i guess im still not sold on j's(jackson racing?) either i would like to hear some more testimonials please.

Yeah you can push about 6psi on the stock engine (which replaces the intake as well as the header) but you'll still need to buy all the turbo goodies needed. I was thinking about doing this to my R but a $1700 turbo kit, new injectors, intercooler, bov, fmu or something, etc.. would all add up to a lot of dough. With that same amount of dough you can hook up an LS engine and turn the knob to 9-10psi on stock internals, and roast any type r.

If you really want to get into boost you can get an LS crank, custom forged rods, and forged low compression pistons, then you can run about 10psi while retaining vtec and the 8400 redline. That's a lot of money and tuning, but you'll be running high 11's low 12's on slicks. Traction on street tires would be pretty bad though, especially when vtec rolls in.

Dont boost the R, if you are going to do that sell the R and get a LS. People are running 12's all day long with drag klts on stock bottom end R's

Originally posted by BLACK ITR GUY:

thanks for the feed back. but what other headers would you recomend. i thought that the 4-2-1 header was the best and can you elaborate more about the collector i dont know much about that. thanks for the help

if its ok i might pm you if i have anymore questions but im not closing my mind to anymore suggestions from the public here im still open. i had my mind set on comptech and i guess im still not sold on j's(jackson racing?) either i would like to hear some more testimonials please.

I think that the Comptech Icebox is definantly a good product. The J's Racing intake that we are speaking of is a "JDM" intkae. Carbon fiber in nature, and it does look very good.

http://members.cox.net/orangegoats/js1.jpg

I will now give you the link to which a Honda-Tech member posted his dyno gains from the J's Racing intake. Honda Tech J's racing gains

I don't know if 4whp and a tad torque loss is good on an R, but I probablly wouldn't buy it.

Hmm, let me see if I can dig up some Comptech numbers.

If you would research before being a dicksniff, you'd know I have 80-90 more horsies than the 106hp sohc.

Please Dyno your car so i can prove you wrong

im talking about hp that matters, You get 150-160 Wheel hp with that swap.

Not only did I do my research, i dont even own a b18c5 and im helping this guy.

Originally posted by Cone Smasher:

I have heard, quite the opposite, buy ya know "The Internet is always right"

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by steve:

I had a J's on my car and that thing was LOUD. Never had my car dynoed with it but it pulled very nicely. I highly suggest J's. Out of all the intakes I have had so far J's has been the best, and Ive had an AEM and Comptech.