clutch break in

Guest sphen02

Yeah, that's about what I did on mine. 500 stop and go city miles, that is. Highway miles don't do much for it. Be easy on it and try not to slip it too hard. All you're doing is giving the disk and flywheel a chance to match up and knock down the high and low spots.

Guest badmuthrfkr

In a measure of elasticity, which is better?

A.) Taking a rubber band and stretching it as far as you can before it breaks.

B.) Taking the rubber band and giving it several progressive stretches before it breaks.

Which will be able to stretch the most?

I don't know.

Guest 614Streets

[Loud speaker]Fans may I have your attention , John Force burnt out his clutch in the last round and he needs a practice run or two to get it broken in.......

For the hell of it you can go soft and easy for 500 miles , I did(maybe I went about 100 miles or less). Better safe than sorry unless you want to give it hell right away then go right ahead.

I also agree that it's better safe than sorry, and you might as well break it in for 300-500 miles. I know Driveline One (who shortened a friends driveshaft) laughed when he mentioned breaking in his clutch.. And that's pretty much what they deal with .. Regardless.. again, better safe than sorry.. smile.gif

Well, like Mark said, you will help wear off any uneven spots. You don't want to spin and glaze a new disc. Also, any oils that may have gotten on the disc also get worn off as well (I try to refrain from touching the disc's friction surfaces, and clean the flywheel and Pressure Plate prior to install). Spinning and glazing a new clutch isn't exactly a "good" thing.