header heat wrap

fush

Whats the general opinion on using heat wrap. I'm having a stainless y-pipe made up for my turbo setup and I want to know if it would be a good idea to use header wrap on it or not. Some people say yes some say no. What are your opinions and why? Thanks.

-jeff

The main knock on heat wrap is that it will hold moisture and cause the header to corrode. Since you're using stainless, that shouldn't be a problem. It DOES work well to keep heat in. I'm going to use it on my downpipe (mild steel), but I am going to ceramic coat it first.

Originally posted by Dremel:

The main knock on heat wrap is that it will hold moisture and cause the header to corrode. Since you're using stainless, that shouldn't be a problem. It DOES work well to keep heat in. I'm going to use it on my downpipe (mild steel), but I am going to ceramic coat it first.

i've heard even with stainlesssteel it eventually ends up rusting through, my opinion would be not to do it. if anything ceramiccoat itand then do it, or just ceramic coating it should be ok

Any where local I can get the setup ceramic coated? If not I will just run the first one I think and get the second one done up nice. The first one is going to be a test piece anyway so I don't want to spend a lot of extra cash on it.

-jeff

If you want wrap, I've got Thermo-Tec in my garage. About 40ft of it unused. I'll sell it to ya cheap. You can buy a spray-on chemical that you moisten the wrap with after you put it on the header and it helps it wrap around the metal better, won't allow water to get in too easily.

For a car being used around the year, header wrap can be a problem for trapping water.

It also traps oil. If the oil gets stuck in there and you drive the car too far the wrap will ignite and its hard to put out since the wrap is basically a wick. Be careful. If you're able to pull the headers off fairly easily then go for it. You WILL make more power. If this is a one time installation cause its a PITA, then skip that part.