Corvette guys: First mod question

iwishiwascool

So my uncle has a stock 1981 Corvette, aka ultra slow. Its an automatic and he thinks its the 350 motor.

He wants to modify it but knows little about the process. So Im gathering some info for him.

What mod will net him the greatest per dollar gain. He has a buddy who is doing a motor swap in his vette so the uncle is thinking that is the way he wants to go as well.

Also, a referral to a good shop in Cleveland would be helpful too.

i agree, headers would wake the car up nicely. i think summit racing sells a cheap pair of headers (~$100) that would fit, as do a lot of the big header manufacturers. parts for 68-82 vettes are easy to find... :D

i would also consider a new exhaust to match up with the headers. if i remember correctly, those cars run the exhaust into a single cat, then branch off into duals again. the tubing is also very small, around 2 inch if i remember, and the mufflers are horribly restrictive. true dual exhaust kits are available through all the big corvette parts dealers, or a muffler shop could rig up a set rather cheaply. add a set of decent mufflers, and not only will the car feel quicker, it'll sound the part too... ;)

an engine swap is a great idea. both me and my best friend did 383 swaps in our cars. he had a 77 and i had an 85. if you're looking for big power, that's your best option...

good luck... smile.gif

I'm a big fan of Vettes, and the C3 (despite what others will tell you about it being the dark days of the Corvette's lifetime) was a great bodystyle. The 350 would REALLY wake up with some exhaust mods, a header being my first choice. Next, I'd do a full-on exhaust system with as little restriction as possible. Even a stint where the exhaust was flowing through a single pipe would be fine provided the bends are relatively smooth and there aren't any cats in the way smile.gif

Also on my list in this order: Intake (either K&N Filter on the cheap or 650cfm carb/Victor Jr. intake setup for a few more bucks), Ignition upgrade (better coil, distributor, wires and plugs), and lastly a shift kit for the automatic (unless it's a four-speed smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif )

Did anyone mention heads? Those cars had pretty poor ones, and an intake manifold and carb will only do so much without some bigger ports and valves to breathe through.

Newer heads would also give him the opportunity to bump the compression a little, allowing for some more cam.

Add that to everything everyone else said, and he should do okay without a motor swap. smile.gif (It's a 350, btw)

So:

-Headers

-Dual exhaust

-Heads

-Cam/rockers

-Intake manifold + carb

-Tranny shift kit

-Higher stall converter

and...

-little blue bottle if he gets bored. ;)

Guest Iria
Originally posted by iwishiwascool:

it will definitely be nice to work on a domestic for a change.

Cramped engine bays make me sad.

Buy an RX-7 and take out all the crap you don't need. Plenty of room, especially in 2nd gens smile.gif

Weren't those the years of the "Cease Fire" injection??

I think it really depends on the amount of money he has to spend, and the current condition of the motor. I mean, swapping in a 454 (or bored and stroked 454 :D ) is a nice idea, but then you gotta make sure the rest of the car is up to the task.

I'd personally start w/ a fresh set of aluminum heads, roller cam, and good intake/carb. Something that won't destroy the bottom end, and will give a nice increase in power. Won't be the cheapest, but you also probably won't be tearing up the tranny/rear end in the process either.

82 was the first year of TBI. the 81 cars have a carb and a computer controlled ingnition... ;)

you won't run into too much trouble with a mild 454. all the big block and small block cars from those years shared the same basic driveline. there's only minor differences in things like the halfshafts. just go through the car and make sure everything is in good shape...

when we dropped the 383 in my friend's 77, he didn't really inspect the rear suspension. btw, the car had been neglected, and we had already had problems with the rear end. to make a long story short, he snapped a half shaft (on street tires) racing, cut the shock in half, and the left rear suspension collapsed...

just make sure the car has been maintained and everything is in good running order. the car should handle a fair amount of power if it's in good shape...

btw, those engine bays aren't that small... tongue.gif

Originally posted by iwishiwascool:

Thanks for all the info...

Ill pass this along to him and let everyone know what he decides to go with.

Are there any national forums dedicated to the corvette that I can read up on?

ChevyTalk.com has some very good technical areas, and a number of highly knowledgeable posters.