Something sweet for Mopar and old muscle fans

SupraGlue

• 2 weeks later...

lag time? what lag time?

Do it right and there's no lag. :D

I've got over 400 lb/ft of torque at the wheels by 2900 rpm and it's very hard to hook that up with radials. It climbs to over 560 ft/lbs by 3900 rpm and that's running 8 psi. I've got far more boost where that came from.

Keep in mind that my hot rod is a cruiser. It's a pump gas car being built with a goal of 650 wheel hp. That shouldn't be too difficult. If the employment situation was any better, the car would already be there.

As for the peak numbers this thing makes, I have no idea. When we dynoed it last, the carb plugged up and quit flowing fuel around 4000 rpm. I'd maxed out the fuel circiuts in the stock AFB. I've switched to a Holley 850 DP and an additional home make fuel injector. Things are VERY nice now. Much more power and rpm.

When I tried to take it to the Texas Motorplex, the tech guys told me to park it because I didn't have the safety equipment. It's a 1965 model and only has a 2 point lap belt. There are some other tech issues to square away too.

The monster sized aluminum lungs are nifty, but not for me. Just don't be too suprised if a turbo car passes you with an engine that cost less than your blower/intake/carbs.

Good solid power with a $2800 engine (I bought some extra "frilly" things) isn't anything to sneeze at.

Sorry for buttin' in like this. I traced back some hits on my site to this page and thought I'd check it out. I won't be around much but feel free to drop me an e-mail if you wanna talk hot rods.

every time ive ever dealt with turbos, there has been a lag time unless you have the turbos spooled up already.(i started in diesel engines) noting against turbos, i think anyone putting forced induction on a car has a sweet ride. I think a turbo setup like that is probaly a better choice for a daily driver, especialy since there are no obvious external mods. Just tlike the look of a polished 8-71 with a huge belt spinning aound it sticking out of the hood. By the way, what reared did you hafto put in that? I would think the factory 8 3/4 chrysler rear wouldnt take that power to well.

Well obviously there is going to be some lag time but if you are making most of your bost by 2000 rpms and your stall converter is above that then it doesn't really matter. I've seen a few V8's done right, such as Brians Stang, and it apperas this car, that are runing mild bost, 8-10lbs, that spool all the way up by 2k to 2.5k. If you launch at 3k then there is no lag time. It does take time to spool up, but that's not any of the time your driving down the strip, which is what really matters.

Blown cars can be impressive, but I still don't like them as much as turboed cars. Nothing like the sound of a nice bov and turbo's spining at 100krpm in a car imho :D