Book Review - "Turbochargers" by H. MacInnes

SupraGlue

"Turbochargers" by Hugh MacInnes

Usually under $20, widely available.

Published by HP Books.

This is a book that I've had for a while, and I recently went through and re-read it. For people who don't think that Corky Bell's book is quite technical enough, Turbochargers should meet your fix. If Bell's book is Turbos 101, then MacInnes gives you the advanced class.

It's an older book (published in 1984), but fortunately, the sciences of thermodynamics and flud mechanics haven't changed significantly since then. smile.gif The mid-80's were the first heydey of the turbocharger in many ways -- extensive use in Forumla One, Indycar, Sports Car and Endurance racing, as well as in Rally, offshore powerboating, etc. Most manufacturers were producing several turbo cars in their lineups, and aftermarket kits were surprisingly plentiful.

MacInnes fills the book with enough equations to make a math junkie overdose. If you can handle the numbers (and have a good calculator) you will be rewarded with some wonderful gems. Want to calculate the intake temperature after your intercooler? No problem, it's there. Many of the equations are out there on the internet, but it's nice to have everything in one convenient place, and tied together in a coherent way.

At times the book seems more than a bit historical. Many of the turbos and kits he references are completely obsolete, and many of the techniques he discusses are somewhat out of date. For example, there is extensive discussion of draw-through carb turbocharging, which really hasn't been done seriously in more than 15 years, I'd imagine. There is virtually no coverage of electronic fuel injection, which has really revolutionized the way we tune cars. For those reasons, this book has to be combined with more modern knowledge, from the web, Bell's book, and/or practical experience. There is some value for people who are turbocharing old/classic cars.

It makes an interesing companion book to Bell's "Maximum Boost". Many things that Bell utterly dismisses, like water injection, are covered by MacInnes. It's also a more theoretical book than Bell. Where Bell tells you "how", MacInnes tells you "why".

Unforunately, it hasn't been updated since 1984, which is a shame. The author is (was?) obviously very enthusiatic about turbocharging, and does a very complete job of helping the reader understand the science, engineering and history behind them.

Clearly, with the enthusiast interest in aftermarket turbocharging and modification of turbo cars, there is room for someone to step forward with a book that combines the technical depth of "Turbochargers" with the current information and practical approach of "Maximum Boost". In the meantime, reading both seems to work pretty well. smile.gif

If you're really looking to expand your knowledge about turbos, I highly recommend "Turbochargers". If you're a beginner, I'd recommend either "Maximum Boost" or possibly "Supercharging, Turbocharging, & Nitrous Oxide" by Earl & Diane Davis first. (I'll review that sometime soon, if anyone is interested)

[ 06 March 2002: Message edited by: Stolen UFO ]