1st and 2nd gear ate itself?

Trouble Maker

Background info, 2000 audi s4 6 speed. They are semi-notorious for weak syncros. ~58kmi. on the car.

Driving ~40-45mph on a 2 lane rd. and go to pass someone up, try and downshit to third, never had any problems with it before (no grinding, but 1st would grind every once in a great while). Go to shift back into 6th and it kinda doesn't want to go, shifter is very hard to move, shift a few times and the stiffness goes away. But I absoutley can't move the shifter into 1st or 2nd gear, doesn't even grind. Figure it's not the syncros because it doesn't grind, and I tried to double clutch into second and first and that didn't work.

I'm just asking for speculation as to what it might be. The reason being is that I have engine and driveterain waranty on the car. If it's something in the tranny it will get fixed for a $50 duductible. But if it's something not in the tranny they will charge me ~$75/hr just to diagonis it. I wouldn't think it could be anything in the shift path because it shifts to 3-6 fine.

Thank god I don't have that many standing starts from here to the dealership. tongue.gif and :mad:

If it will not go into 1st at all, even with the motor shut off, it is either a linkage problem, or internal transmission problems. Syncros only work when the motor is running. I don't know the specifics about your transmission. But typically, 1st and 2nd share a shift linkage, at least on RWD cars. That being said. I would get underneath the car and have some one attempt to put it into 1st and 2nd to see if there is anything that stands out. I dug a dead cat out of a pickup once for a guy that didn't have reverse becasue when he hit the cat it somehow got jammed in the linkage, no idea how though.

Originally posted by Desperado:

If it will not go into 1st at all, even with the motor shut off, it is either a linkage problem, or internal transmission problems. Syncros only work when the motor is running. I don't know the specifics about your transmission. But typically, 1st and 2nd share a shift linkage, at least on RWD cars. That being said. I would get underneath the car and have some one attempt to put it into 1st and 2nd to see if there is anything that stands out. I dug a dead cat out of a pickup once for a guy that didn't have reverse becasue when he hit the cat it somehow got jammed in the linkage, no idea how though.

It won't shift into 1st or 2nd with the car on or off, all other gears, 3-6 and reverse, are fine. But 3-6 were kinda rough at first till i moved in in and out of them a few times while in netural cruising. So it could be linkage or internal? I'll see if someone wants to go out with me around lunch and I'll crawl underneath of there.

I don't hear anything different from the tranny while I'm driving (although this happened ~5mi. from work).

Guest White Horse
Originally posted by Desperado:

I dug a dead cat out of a pickup once for a guy that didn't have reverse becasue when he hit the cat it somehow got jammed in the linkage, no idea how though.

LOL

Well it's in the shop, $105 for diagonsis. I'll have to pay that if whatever they find is not under waranty. If it is it's a $50 duductible. Shit happens, at least I'll know what's wrong with it. Maybe I'll get some newer internals in my tranny out of it. graemlins/finger.gif

Originally posted by bigbabyjesus:

Probably will need a 1st and 2nd gearset.

That's what I'm thinking, should be geting a call within a few days on whats wrong. Thank god for that waranty, I've heard people having 4k-11k invoices depending on the extent of the damages (most still covered under some waranty). Rumor that one can get a used tranny from europe for 2.5k so if you kill a tranny that's the route to go. Fucking expensvie car. graemlins/nonono.gif