Stupid Mustangs... Any Help Please??

Casper

Okay, I have a 96 Mustang GT with a BRAND NEW Ford Motorsports tranny. The tranny was put in by the dealer (I didn't have to pay for installation). About two monthes afterwards, I'm getting a funky ass noise. I'm going to TRY to describe this the best I can. It only happens when the clutch is in. It doesn't matter if it is in gear or not. It doesn't happen all the time, about 50%. It is a whining sound. The tranny vibrates when the clutch is in. It gets a hell of a lot worse when letting off of the clutch just before it is fully out. I have no problems at all shifting. Okay, I think I've described this accurately. I'm guessing it is the throwout bearing. Unfortunately, the dealer (fucking assholes) didn't put in a new one. Is there anything else this could be? Any input is GREATLY appreciated. I need to get this shit back running for next weekend.

-Ben-

614-778-9568

I fucking hate this transmission. I'm about to just say fuck it and buy the Tremec Cobra R tranny. I'm going to try replacing the throwout bearing first though. Hmmm... $33.99 or $1499.99? I wonder... Haha.

If you do plan on getting the Tremec, I know where you can get one for $1,149. The transmissions are brand new and have nothing wrong with them. All the cobra r tranny is, is a 3550 tremec tranny, but jegs won't price match because the one they sell has a ford part #, but is exactly the same as a 3550.

Guest 1bad66duece
Originally posted by Min Men 1:

I fucking hate this transmission. I'm about to just say fuck it and buy the Tremec Cobra R tranny. I'm going to try replacing the throwout bearing first though. Hmmm... $33.99 or $1499.99? I wonder... Haha.

i know you just paid for a new trans,but i have a used cobra 4.6 trans for $300,it was a low milage take out from a wreck.it a t45 or somthing like that,its not a t5,it was out of a 4 cam cobra!

I'd say it's your throw out bearing...pretty common for these to go bad. I would raise holy hell with the service manager where ever you had it done! They should have replaced that when they were in there. That's like rebuilding a motor and putting the old oil pump back in...come on now! if you get mad enough and ask for his boss's boss then you might get somewhere. Threaten to write a letter to Ford about the poor service or something

Good luck!

BC

'96-'01.5 have the T-45. Yeah it's a total pos. Biggest problem with it is that its syncronizers wear out faster than hell, causing grinding if you're not used to it. If anything though, it's a strong tranny.

Sounds like these guys know more about trannys than me, which is good because this doesn't sound like a typical T-45 problem, so I hope you get it fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 351PwRd
the throwout bearing sounds like the culperate.. but there is another thing that you may want to check and that is the little alignment dowels that go on the engine side of the bellhousing. sometimes these little dowels can get knocked in(or pulled out) of the bellhousing that they cause a misalignment between the bellhousin and the engine block. When these happens it will cause the inputsahft to press the throwout in an iregular postion.. then causes premature bearing faliure aKa the squeeling pig noise...as for buying a tremec.. you must also change to a different spline clutch, and shifter.