Surface rust.

Doug1647545489

I'm starting to research for my new project car and I'm wondering how hard is it to remove surface rust. Can I just sand it off put some inhibitor and maybe just some primer until I have enough to get a paint job.

example

http://abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_1786437ecbabc0a2e33c3f98f/i-1_B.JPG

cheap car no problems (reacently rebuilt). 2 grand. Good buy or not. Is surface rust usual an indicator for other problems? Rust on the frame?

ur gonna have to take a look at it in person, as for surface rust. what may look like surface rust may actually be all the way through, if it is TRUELY just surface rust u can just sand it, if uw ant to use tom rust remover, blah blah and primer it, but the problem is if u get drilllin and the rust doesn't stop until u have gone completely through.

depends on where it is. like that car seems like it might be better to just replace the rear hatch/door

my car has rust all the way through in my rear fender and i've drilled cleaned everything 2 times already and no luck, before i get my paint job i'm gonna cut out every thing make sur ei'm hitting good metal and then weld in new metal.

rust is one of the biggest pains in the ass i would recommend finding a rustless car(or minor rust)

When done correctly, rust can be removed. But the process is painstaking and tedious. 80% of the time it comes back, but the 20% is when it's done correctly without cutting corners.

Originally posted by 75Datsun280Z:

I hear that you can cover up rust, but unless you cut it out and replace it with new metal, it'll come back after a while.

And I agree, unless it's a really cheap as hell car, get a rust free one.

Yeah I'll agree. If you want to do it right you need to cut it out.. Otherwise it will eventually come back .. :(

• 3 weeks later...
Guest blueski02

Unless it would be a apin you can find new panels online for cheap. I looked at this once and i supprised me. I have come to except body work as part or buying a used car. But this is only b/c i cant get a new car.

MIKE B>

• 2 weeks later...