Mustang Cam opinions

88lx5oh

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

- All I know of the ECU is that it requires burning new chips each time (not an EEPROM). My real question is how high can you rev the factory PCM (reprogrammed of course). How high do the fuel tables go, is there a limit to where the rev limiter can be raised, is there a limit to how fast the PCM can process to rev higher, etc. Basically, how high can you SAFELY take the factory PCM before you have to go aftermarket

Basically, there's no need to reprogram any chip, as the most they can do for performance is increase timing. So, instead of a chip, you just advance the timing by turning the distributer (free). Some people burn the chips though to adjust the response to Mass Air Flow signals, generally to put in larger injectors w/o having to change anything with the MAF sensor.

The quickest easiest way to raise the rev limit and adjust a/f tables is through the use of whats called an "extender" (sold through SVO).

- How high can you safely spin the stock shortblock (on say, an 88-92 Forged piston motor). I'm not sure what the bore/stroke of a 302 is, but if it is a short stroke, I'd assume it would be fairly high.

I know some people who spin their stock bottom-end motors to 7500rpm, but they've got money in their heads to support it (valve springs, solid rollers, attempts at lightening the valve train, etc). Most people will never slide a solid roller in a stock bottom ended motor, so they're stuck with the 6250 rev limiter (or atleast 6500 if they've got an extender, after that, its valve float heaven).

That being the case, I'm curious why no one has suggested perhaps going to a solid roller. Yes, solid roller isn't for everyone (in terms of increased maintance, shortened valve spring life, and most likely killing off any chance of using the knock sensor).

In this case, I almost would suggest sticking with the stock cam and just adding a set of 1.7rollers to add a little lift, to take advantage of the mild port. Chevy guys have no idea how bad stock ford heads suck ass. The exhaust ports on 350 heads are easily twice the size (volume) as that on the ford head. Going with a solid roller and correct valve springs/lifters would be a total waste (even with HUGE exh duration and lift, to help make up for the shitty exh ports), since even with the best porter doing the work, you're likely to not make much more power at 7000rpm than at 6000. The stock intake isnt that great either. The runners are 15-18" long, which is great for velocity, but shit for overall airflow.

Tuning/Knock Sensor: 5.0's dont have one :rolleyes::mad: Most ford guys couldnt tell you whether .98v was lean or rich. You tune the motor by going out and beating on it, listening for knock :eek::eek: Ofcourse by the time you hear it, you've had massive amounts of non-audible knock counts.

[ 20 December 2002, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Jasons TSi ]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MeanVortecV8

I'd say go w/ the E303 cam cuz...If you can jack a pair of GT40P heads from an explorer from U-Pull-It, sweet deal, if not, get ur heads ported and polished, more air + more fuel = more torque/horsepower.

That's all I gotta say bout that (the thread should be over now right? Hopefully)

P.S. - Here's a topic starter...Get a Carb brotha, and get rid of that restrictive fuel injection shit...we're trying to make horsepower here, not gas mileage! :D

[ 22 December 2002, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: MeanVortecV8 ]

going by what he says on his second post in this thread, I'd go with the F cam. No since buying a E cam now, then having to waste money later when you upgrade heads. The F cam is my fav. ford cam, since its good N/A and has a nice amount of lobe seperation if you wanted to use it with a blower down the road.

Originally posted by Foxstang133617:

Let the heads go

4.30 gears, 75 horse dry shot,9 inch slicks,launch at 4,500rpm, powershift, hello low-mid 12's

I had a headache earlier today that I took some asprin for. Thoes took care of it, but you just made it come back, thanks.

[ 31 December 2002, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: The Strawberry Shortcake ]

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Foxstang133617:

Let the heads go

4.30 gears, 75 horse dry shot,9 inch slicks,launch at 4,500rpm, powershift, hello low-mid 12's

I'm sure the stock T5 and stock clutch would just LOVE that idea, lol.</font>Well, if the driver really "powershifts" the stock t-5 would break on a 14sec car.