Anyone know of a good shop in this area?

smokin5s

ok, pretty much, my brother in-law has a '97 Sunfire GT 2.4 litre..... we tore it down, but come to find out, in order to change out the water pump, the engine has to be lifted!!!!!!! because the waterpump is driven off of the timing chain, and the only way to get the timing chain cover off and pull the timing chain is to pull the harmonic balancer. But it's right up against the strut tower. They are hurting for money, so I'm trying to find the best and cheapest place that we can find. he already has everything that's needed, we just don't have a cherry picker, and to be honest, that's more work that we are willing to do on his car. Anyone know?

Originally posted by $low one:

Go to j-body.org and do a search on the waterpump. I think there is an easier way to do it.

nope, the 2.2 is EASY!!! but the 2.4 is driven off the timing chain. I've already been there.... they said that most places quoted them 600 bucks for labor. Thanks though.

everyone beware the edit master next thing you know poof hes changing things and making himself feel cooler at others expense man i wish i could go around pushing my weight around being mean and trying to act cool.

[ 22. January 2003, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: drunkendubber ]

Originally posted by Josh Miller:

nope, the 2.2 is EASY!!! but the 2.4 is driven off the timing chain. I've already been there.... they said that most places quoted them 600 bucks for labor. Thanks though.

Yeah I know. I have the 2.4L. I believe that you remove the exhaust manifold and take off one of the upper engine mounts. Plenty have people have done it in the garage even though its a PITA I will be too. Pick up a haynes if you don't have one already. Should explain it pretty well. ;)

Yeah I know. I have the 2.4L. I believe that you remove the exhaust manifold and take off one of the upper engine mounts. Plenty have people have done it in the garage even though its a PITA I will be too. Pick up a haynes if you don't have one already. Should explain it pretty well. ;)

I have the Haynes.... the manifold is sitting on the ground, I pulled it out already, and pulled off that engine mount, when you look down, on the timing chain cover, there are several bolts that are behind the harmonic balancer, so if you don't pull that off, then you cant get the cover off... and if you do manage to get the cover off..... you can't pull the chain off unless you yank that thing also. The book didn't explain that either..... so we tore it all the way down before finally realizing it. I had several people give me 2nd and 3rd opinions, and theirs were the same as mine.

Quote from someone who did it. I can also get a list of people you can email that have actually done it if you want.

"When I rebuilt my engine last month, I went ahead and replaced the waterpump just for good measure. My engine was out of the car when I did it and it was still a pain to do with a lot of room to move around, so I know it will be a b1tch to do while the engine is still in the car. This is what has to be done to replace it. Drain the oil and coolant. Remove the timing chain cover. Have the timing set at TDC, the holes on the cam gears should be facing down and if they are, a bolt should slid right into the hole of the gear and into a hole in the timing chain housing, also the key on the crankshaft will be at 12 o'clock position. Remove the guides, the shoe guide (press in the plastic peice at the base and pull off, or just break it and buy one from the dealership for about $2) and the timing chain tensioner. Work the timing chain off. Unbolt all of the bolts and nuts to remove the waterpump. Clean off all of the old gaskets. Install the new pump and gaskets correctly. Put the timing chain back on, then the tensioner and shoe guide and then the rest of the guides. Pull out the bolts holding the cam gears. Put on the timing chain cover. Fill with oil and coolant. Sounds easy, but it will be a pain. "

rave.child@sympatico.ca Email him I guess.

Or just make a post at j-body.org. I'm sure they will answer your question pretty quickly

Quote from someone who did it. I can also get a list of people you can email that have actually done it if you want.

"When I rebuilt my engine last month, I went ahead and replaced the waterpump just for good measure. My engine was out of the car when I did it and it was still a pain to do with a lot of room to move around, so I know it will be a b1tch to do while the engine is still in the car. This is what has to be done to replace it. Drain the oil and coolant. Remove the timing chain cover. Have the timing set at TDC, the holes on the cam gears should be facing down and if they are, a bolt should slid right into the hole of the gear and into a hole in the timing chain housing, also the key on the crankshaft will be at 12 o'clock position. Remove the guides, the shoe guide (press in the plastic peice at the base and pull off, or just break it and buy one from the dealership for about $2) and the timing chain tensioner. Work the timing chain off. Unbolt all of the bolts and nuts to remove the waterpump. Clean off all of the old gaskets. Install the new pump and gaskets correctly. Put the timing chain back on, then the tensioner and shoe guide and then the rest of the guides. Pull out the bolts holding the cam gears. Put on the timing chain cover. Fill with oil and coolant. Sounds easy, but it will be a pain. "

rave.child@sympatico.ca Email him I guess.

Or just make a post at j-body.org. I'm sure they will answer your question pretty quickly

Thanks! being out of the car it isn't nearly as hard, but I honestly don't see a way to do it with it in the car. I'm gonna guess that he didn't either. None-the-less... smart man for replacing it while it was out.