tracking electrical problem

Guest nevarmore

Guest nevarmore

Ok ive got a 1987 Park Ave. (non T-Type) and it keeps blowing fuse #14 (in case you have a similar car). This kills my climate controls, my radio (but not the tape player),the clock and my cigarette lighter. I spent about 2 hours hanging under the dash searching for loose connections and obviously worn wires. When the fuse isn't blown everything works fine. No particular condition causes it to blow, however when it does go sometimes everything on that circuit dies, other times my clock displays odd numbers, the touch pad climate controls have indicator lights and the temp display shows the number 24 while the beep tone from the climate controls plays constantly until i shut the car off.

I first noticed this the day after taking a 3 hour trip where i used the A/C for the first time of the year and about a week after i had my cam sprocket replaced.

The only thing i can think to do is take whatever daylight i can get after work and trace every wire on the circuit. Anything I can narrow this down to?

I usually start by isolating everything that runs across the fuse. And if your car has a harness that attaches to that fuse unplug everything on the ends that runs from it. You should be able to use a multimeter to test across the fuse and watch as you plug stuff in to see what causes the problem. It took me a while to find what was causing my central locking to blow in my old corrado and this was the method I used. Narrow down the area then trial and error. Good luck.

-jeff

Guest BlackS14

I just got done posting that same trick on another forum. I recommended a penny as a jumper wire. The guy had a lighting problem though.

If you do use the jumper wire trick, make sure that all of the related components are out in plain view (or at least unbolted from the dash). An underdash fire is a bad thing.