Mustang Injector question

88lx5oh

Yes. You have what's known as "Bosch style" injectors. Mod, 5.0L, LT1, LS1, etc. all share the same injector style and can swap them out for a physical match.

But remember, you have to tell the computer that you did it. In your case, a simple re-calibrated Mass Air swap will do it. For me, I actually have to reprogram the PCM.

Have fun ;)

Originally posted by I brake for no one:

Yes. You have what's known as "Bosch style" injectors. Mod, 5.0L, LT1, LS1, etc. all share the same injector style and can swap them out for a physical match.

But remember, you have to tell the computer that you did it. In your case, a simple Mass Air conversion will do it. For me, I actually have to reprogram the PCM.

Have fun ;)

Flexin those domestic knowledge muscles

:D

I see you have a 88. You probably have Speed Density, and not Mass Air. In this case, you could have a chip burned(I'm pretty sure). But it'd be in your best interests to go ahead and pick up a MAS conversion kit, with a MAS calibrated for 24# injectors.

Originally posted by I brake for no one:

I see you have a 88. You probably have Speed Density, and not Mass Air. In this case, you could have a chip burned(I'm pretty sure). But it'd be in your best interests to go ahead and pick up a MAS conversion kit, with a MAS calibrated for 24# injectors.

Or you could do what I did in the primered mustang and get a fuel pressure regulator and dial fuel pressure down to 30 psi from 40 and you will be good to go.

Anthony, you could also recalibrate your MAF instead by using a MAF translator, but it just makes more sense to reprogram the PCM (thank god we don't have to deal with that burning chips BS).

Yes, lowering the fuel pressure (on a PCM that won't compensate w/ altered injector duty cycles) will work, but kinda defeats the purpose of putting in bigger injectors, since you won't be able to flow a larger amount of fuel.

Also, if you get a non-Ford injector, remember that Ford rates them at a lower pressure than everyone else (basically, a Ford injector flows a little more than the same "sized" injector from a different maker; I have 30# SVO's in my car, and have them set for around 32.4#'s).

Originally posted by OSoSlow5.0:

jsut wondering if by anychance.. in jectors from a 96-98 lincoln will work..the motor in it is a 4.6 modular motor. i found a set cheap, and they are 24# injectors... but will they fit my 88 5.0??

93-98 Lincoln will work. They'll work even better if you buy the whole car and drive it instead... tongue.gif

99+ the connector changed, anything else will work.

But WHY? If you are mostly stock you don't need more injector. Stock injectors are fine until 300+rwhp N/A.

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

Yes, lowering the fuel pressure (on a PCM that won't compensate w/ altered injector duty cycles) will work, but kinda defeats the purpose of putting in bigger injectors, since you won't be able to flow a larger amount of fuel.

Correct. However by lowering fuel pressure with bigger injectors, you can now run 60-70 psi with the nitrous on instead of 80-90 pounds which requires a high pressure pump. I am using 150 shot now and I am still a little on the fat side at about 70 psi. 24 pounders will be plenty big with a dry kit. Even if you put 30's in the car with a recaliberated meter. The car is going to run a short pulse on the injector and defeats the purpose again. On this application, I still say put a 24 pound injector in the car. Lower fuel pressure down to 30-32 pounds from the 39.7 pounds that ford recomends and adjust fuel pressure on the nitrous with a .040" shim in the regualator an jets in the Tee.

Originally posted by Mobile Chassis Dyno:

Correct. However by lowering fuel pressure with bigger injectors, you can now run 60-70 psi with the nitrous on instead of 80-90 pounds which requires a high pressure pump. I am using 150 shot now and I am still a little on the fat side at about 70 psi. 24 pounders will be plenty big with a dry kit. Even if you put 30's in the car with a recaliberated meter. The car is going to run a short pulse on the injector and defeats the purpose again. On this application, I still say put a 24 pound injector in the car. Lower fuel pressure down to 30-32 pounds from the 39.7 pounds that ford recomends and adjust fuel pressure on the nitrous with a .040" shim in the regualator an jets in the Tee.

Just another reason why I run a wet kit. smile.gif