Unbiased opinion about rotary practices

controler

Well I've been researching my recently purchased FC, and I've found that there is a way to premix 2 stroke oil in with the gas to lubricate the apex seals and rotors, instead of using the oiling system. Well I overlooked the idea at first, because I thought it was a little obsurd. But currently I have a leak in my metering oil pump lines (that pump the oil to the intake manifold and rotor housing) -- I suspect as much at least. I would like an unbiases opinion from the rotary guys in here (rx7club.com can be misleading) as to if this is a good idea. I know it will cost more, but it will be an easy fix, and supposedly not create as much carbon build-up on the rotors.

Thanks

[ 13. April 2003, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: controler ]

I dunno too much about rotaries but running a 4 cycle motor like a 2 cycle is going to foul the shit out of your spark plugs. it would be like when you acidently poor the weedwacker/chainsaw gas in your lawnmower it runs all day but when you go out to mow again that shit is haed to start. the idea you have wil work but I wouldn't do it for longer than you need to fix your oiling system properly. my.02

I have heard a lot of people have removed thier OMP and run pre-mix, but I cannot give you a personal opinion cuz I know squat about it.

Try searching teamFC3S.org for answers.

Also, If you want to send a PM to "reTed" on RX7club.com, The man knows his sh!t.

Mike

I carry a can in the Rexy and add 4oz everytime I fill up....religiously.

The detergents in the gas "clean" the internal surfaces.Bad for the apex seals.

The Omp is not sufficient to supply enough oil to reach everywhere so its good cheap insurance to add some to the gas.

There,s info on the Pettitracing site,tell them you just bought a 7 they may send you out a free grounding kit,{with all their blurb} They chucked a few in bottles for free when I asked about it!!

Or, goto Wallmart and buy Marvels Mystery Oil,it works great and is a lot cheaper ;)

hey man hit me up on AIM: BertoBizkit

i have a bunch of links which you can read and really mak ethe decision yourself. my car came with it removed but after spending a lot of time looking over stuff its better for the motor, if ur willing to put up with the hassle, which really it isn't that much of a pain.

i just have a pepsi bottle and i measured a 5oz mark and a 10oz mark. and i use it for 5 gallons and 10 gallons accordingly. takes 5 more seconds, specially since you have a daily driver its no big deal.

Guest relvinnian

The stock oil metering system does a good job of distributing oil on the friction surfaces. The main advantage is the better combusting properties of 2-cycle oil (it is MEANT to burn cleanly). It will reduce the chance of carbon deposits jamming or damaging internals and does a great job of lubricating as well.

Since it is added to the gas tank it is atomized by the fuel injectors. From there the rotary's highly turbulent combustion chamber characteristics, will distribute things very well.

Originally posted by relvinnian:

The stock oil metering system does a good job of distributing oil on the friction surfaces. The main advantage is the better combusting properties of 2-cycle oil (it is MEANT to burn cleanly). It will reduce the chance of carbon deposits jamming or damaging internals and does a great job of lubricating as well.

Since it is added to the gas tank it is atomized by the fuel injectors. From there the rotary's highly turbulent combustion chamber characteristics, will distribute things very well.

just to add to that, carbon deposits sometimes end up seizing motion in the apex seals causing a lower compression or sometimes people even theing their motor is blown(in this case u can use the ATF trick bu ti won't get into that)

also ur dirty ass motor oil is the same oil taht get injected into ur combustion chamber. and usually in rotaries 20w-50 is used.....not really a good "high RPM" lubricator. two cycle does a better job of it.