2001 Grand Prix Wheel noise and vibration

mloakley

Hi All,

Back in January, I slid my 2001 Grand prix into a curb at about 20 mph. Gotta love that first 1/8 inch of snow on a wet road. Anyhow, it turns out that I broke the front left rim (which slashed up the tire), bent the tie rod, and broke a strut. I had all the work done at the local pontiac dealer I bought the thing from, grand total on the repairs was over $1500 (including car rental, replacing 2 front tires, labor, etc.) of which the insurance was nice enough to pay $500.

Well, all that and it still isn't fixed. There's still a loud hum and a vibration from the front end. It seems to be dependant on speed, not engine RPM. I took it back and the dealership quoted me $500 to replace the wheel bearing. Me being a bit reluctant to pay that much, I installed a new wheel bearing ($120 from AutoZone.)

Fun's not over yet. The hum is still there, though it isn't quite as loud. My friend's dad works up at GM Lordstown, and he thought I had screwed up the half shaft.

Now for my question: I know for a fact that the dealership is going to charge me an arm and a leg to replace the half shaft. Anyone got any other ideas, or know a good place I can get it fixed inexpensively and reliably?

Thanks!

Oak

The half-shaft is so simple to replace it's almost childish. You will get two new CV's outta it too. Should run you about $100 and you'll need to borrow an axle puller from Autozone or it'll be a HELUVA lot harder. If you can do the wheel bearing you can do this. Get a hanes manual.

Also, make your way over to http://www.clubgp.com for an all GP owners club and message board. The local club (of which I am Vice President) is http://cocgp.clubgp.com and we'll have a message board up later this week. http://www.INTENSE-Racing.com for some go fast goodies. smile.gif

Oh, 12 second GP here. :D

Originally posted by parabola:

The half-shaft is so simple to replace it's almost childish. You will get two new CV's outta it too. Should run you about $100 and you'll need to borrow an axle puller from Autozone or it'll be a HELUVA lot harder. If you can do the wheel bearing you can do this. Get a hanes manual.

Actually, my friend who usually helps me with these things isn't all that keen on pulling the halfshaft. Know a good shop that won't screw me (or my wallet) over? North side or East side of town preferably.

Thanks!

-=Oak=-

Originally posted by Oak:

Actually, my friend who usually helps me with these things isn't all that keen on pulling the halfshaft. Know a good shop that won't screw me (or my wallet) over? North side or East side of town preferably.

Thanks!

-=Oak=-

I dunno why, it's really very easy. But I would recommend any Pontiac dealer. No matter where you take it you are going to get screwed... might as well take it to someplace who works on the same cars all day. smile.gif

Guest ClemRacing
I have a BETTER IDEA!!!!!! Dont take it to a dealer, they screw you. Dont take it to midas or junk like that. Take it to CSN Motorsports. This is my second job. They handle everything themselves. They do work for Team Rahal, terry labonte, heck bobby rahal was in there yesterday. THEY ARE VERY VERY VERY HONEST!!!!! I know you've never heard it before, but it is true. They will only fix the problem, show you the problem and fix it. They dont charge you for parts. they gets parts 15% off. They give you that price. You bought your half shaft for say 100 bucks. they will only charge you 85 for the part, and only half hour labor. they dont blow everything up in your face. I had the exact same problem you have now. took it to them. fixed it in less than an hour. I am serious. This is THEE PLACE TO GET YOUR PRIZED CAR WORKED ON!!!!! They are honest, informative, and very nice! They dont make any money off parts, heck they even get them for cheaper what you buy in the stores. You got ripped off on the wheel bearing! I only paid 80 for mine. Now your thinking it is too good to be true. WELL ITS NOT!!! IT IS VERY TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My entire family goes there, and we have 5 cars to service. They do quality work you can depend on! My Grand Prix runs like a top!! and it is all thanks to them! Giev them a call at 614-873-2317 tell them that Jacob informed you about them. Meet charlie the owner, he is the one that works on the cars! He is the best!!!! I'm not the only one on here that is going there for service. Thats a fact!