question nitrous>

Guest Passatguy

Guest Passatguy

what damage would be done to an engine for putting 55 shot on? what plugs do you use?

like I had said before..I hsve bosch platinum +4.... not sure if I hit the button they will go sky high or what. should I buy the ZEX spark plugs?

[ 15. July 2003, 06:42 AM: Message edited by: Passatguy ]

I agree that a step or two colder is a good idea when you are increasing boost. But platinum plugs are not bad for turbo cars. Platinum plugs last much longer then copper plugs for forced induction applications, which is why OEM turbo cars like mine come with them, copper plugs just may be safer in some situations.

If you are running the car close to the edge of detonation, then copper plugs may be a good idea because the copper plug will fail before a piston melts, and may save you other severe damage if you notice it in time, whereas in most cases the platinum plug will live. So in that respect, copper plugs are safer. But, having broken spark plug pieces bouncing around in the cylinders a few hundred times before they get spit out the exhaust, and thus through your turbine blades, are not exactly a very good thing either.

I do not run my car anywhere near that lean, and I don't feel like changing my plugs every 10K miles (which I would have to with copper plugs due to the wear), so I run NGK platinums for now. If I were building a high power turbo motor running 2 bar all the time, then I would probably run copper plugs. But for most street cars not running insane amounts of boost, and with a reasonable tune, platinum plugs may save you some headaches, especially if they are a pain in the ass to change like on a VR4.

I got a one step colder plug just because it recommends it. 1 step NGK's BTW prolly unnesasary but why risk something that cheap when using nitrous. Are you actually going to buy my friends kit BTW passat guy???????? Avoid Zex plugs like the damn plauge BTW the horror stories involving those are many!!!!!!

I would assume that all the extra electrodes would do [bosch +4's] is promote detonation. It will pick one electrode to arch with, that leaves the other 3 as nice sharp hot objects to pre-ignite fuel.

I personally prefer copper plugs on anything other than NA.

ok first of all wet shot isnt nessisaraly goin to not damage your car, Dry can be just as safe with a turbo at that low of shot just as long as the try kit has the regulator that gives you a secondary fuel. secondly yea the nitrious will damage the pltnums easily as others said just get a standard plug nothing special and third a nitirous ist as damaging if you use it right acording to your instructions, acording to your aplication it will give you a minimum recomended RPM you should be at before you spray, this will help prefent wear.

a 55 shot isnt going to make things blurry like f&f you should know.

In fact, you may be disappointed with the results.

With a turbo aplication, I would never trust a dry shot. If you happen to max out the ability of the injectors when the spray kicks on, your going to be sorry... But he isnt turbo anyway.

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

Nitrous + platinum = bad idea. Nitrous can actually melt off the platinum, which isn't a nice thing. Copper only w/ the bottle.

Besides, the Bosch +4's look very gimicky, and I haven't heard anything really positive about them.

It's been my experience that they are junk. When I owned a Maxima I tried them out, the car ran like crap (like it was on 5 cylinders) until I changed them out. I've also had many customers complain of poor running vehicles when the +4's ended up being the cause of their problems. Stay awaw from them!

Guest Passatguy
well how many lbs of boost will a GM engine block hold? I have tried to do research on what it will do..but can only find a 2.5L ford probe..that said only could handle 75 shot before blowing. I dont want to blow my engine..it has only 9 thou on it. yes redlude I am buying it this Friday. I am going to put on the 55 shot...test it out..and may up it a bit..but not much. well..only one way to find out....and i hope I do the right one. the way that zex has it set up is that it will only go at WOT. so When I punch it off the bat..it is kicked in. well whatwould 75 shot do??? lol

Those are some pretty basic noob questions you asked. You need to do a little more research before you start spraying. Or you're going to kill your engine and end up being one of those guys that blames the nitrous.

First, what are you running this on? Second, the zex kit: the dry kit, or the new wet one?

Nitrous = copper plugs.

Guest powers
well when you blow your shit up I have an engine you can buy for $150 bucks. And when your drive shafts snap in half I'll get you some for $60 bucks each and get you back on the road. smile.gif

Guest Passatguy
well since my passat it pretty much peaked out(blown) I am going to put the dry setup on the stock 3.1 GM V6. all it has is a jet chip...thats it. bone stock. I dont want to put it on the 77, or the GTI. it will be setup so that it will only run at WOT. how fast would it burn it up?

No offense, but based on the questions you're asking, I'm not sure you should be playing with Nitrous. Educate yourself first, I know that's what you're trying to do here, but you need to find someone to help you with this. I mean like side by side to show you the in's and outs of Nitrous.

Why are you trying to make a 1996 Grand Prix 1/2 second quicker in the 1/4 mile? :rolleyes:

Guest Passatguy
I know the jst of nitrous...but have never been in a car that had it, or know what is going to happen to that specific car. The reason I want to make the Pontiac fast is because it is my slowest car. my GTI pulls on it...do to some homemade mods.

Alright, let some of the others said you should learn a little more before running it. But with the zex dry kit you're going to want to stay under 75 shot. Just get a step or two colder copper plugs, then follow all the guide lines and you'll be good to go.

deffiately get rid of the platinum plugs..... you don't wanna make a stupid mistake. Also... deffinately do your research on N2O before playing with it. It can be very safe and very dangerous...... learn the in's and outs first..... stuff is posted all over the net to teach you :D