Hail Damage and Painting Tips

Guest OhioSiGuy

Guest OhioSiGuy
Whats the easist way of fixing hail damage to a hood? Fill the little dent with Bondo or something? or do i have to pop it out with something or knock it out with a hammer from the other side then bring in the body filler? I want to make the hood look nice with out dents and stuff i'm about to paint it black as a practice piece. I'm trying to learn how to paint, i want to paint black, which i know is the hardest color, any tip please help. smile.gif

Man, with the questions you are asking you need to stop and get some help from someone else. I don't mean to offend you, but dude, thats not the right way to go about that at all. First off, I wouldn't use filler to fix a dent. Second, if I did need to use a filler, it'd be fiberglass filler and not bondo. If you're going to paint a practice piece, do an easier color like white or gray. Try and get a part time job helping around a body shop if you're serious about it.

Guest stevil
I'd suggest going to a library and checking out some books on the subject of automotive painting and repair. Or maybe search up some info on the web.

Guest badmuthrfkr
Originally posted by Mensan:

Man, with the questions you are asking you need to stop and get some help from someone else. I don't mean to offend you, but dude, thats not the right way to go about that at all. First off, I wouldn't use filler to fix a dent. Second, if I did need to use a filler, it'd be fiberglass filler and not bondo. If you're going to paint a practice piece, do an easier color like white or gray. Try and get a part time job helping around a body shop if you're serious about it.

Not to mention you would have more waves in the hood than the Gulf of Mexico with all that filler.

Guest Silvrbmw1
actually i knew of some guys using heat and a cold rag. there was a way to shock the metal in some way w/ a hot to cold shock or something along the lines of that. BUT.....heat could really screw something up if not used properly, which i'm sure you know, i just thought i'd say it to be on the safe side... all i know is that the old ladys car is covered w/ hail damage also. lol so i guess i'll help do some research then.

hail damage....ewwww......

preferred way would probably to get a new hood. As for the roof.....i dunno, maybe try pulling the headliner and using a block of wood and a rubber mallet. Just be carefull that you arent punching the metal up.

Filler isn't always that bad of an idea, we use it all the time at the shop to cover up rough spots before laying down primer. Get something to apply it with so it will go down smooth, thats important. Try finding the shit that you have to mix with hardener. I would highly suggest going to a paint store and getting good stuff (what we use says Icing on the side of the bottle, not sure of the brand). Sand down the area that you will be filling, and the surrounding areas with 320 grit sandpaper. Apply the filler, and once it's dry, sand it back down so its even and you can't feel any kind of an edge between the filler and the original surface. You DO NOT need to sand down to bare metal though, just scuff it up good.

Then, just slap down some paint and some clear.

Don't be surprised if this ends up being a lot harder than you anticipated, or if shit doesn't turn out right. I will tell you that it takes a LOT of time and effort to get any good with bodywork. I'm still learning more every day, and i've been working at my shop for a month now. I was just lucky enough to get to work for one of the best painters around.

don't bondo your hood or any "big" surface on your car, thats the worse advice ever, as soon as those big panels give just a little bit, that hardened bondo or whatever teh fuck you use will crack and chip like its none of your business.

I think the best way to fix the dents it is to call somebody that does dent work, like Dent Wizard or Dent Tech. They might charge you some money but they do good jobs. I woudn't recomend fixing it your self with a hammer, specialy if you don't know what you are doing.

Guest OhioSiGuy
This is a 87 CRX this car is not supposed to look all that great at best. I bought the car just to learn and stuff. I only said Bondo becasue every one knows what it is. I have read books but they all have body work and no hood stuff, you cant use the dent pullers , hammers, or anything else because of the support things on the underside (unless you take them off). I dont have any dents in my roof or rear quater panels because i was able to get those out using a dent puller, then i welded over the hole used fiber glass filler (don't know of the name its my uncles i think it was fiber glass filler) and then layed down a black primer after i cleaned up welding job with a angle grinder fitted with a metal cutting blade, little rought but turned out ok. It just that hoods are real thin and i dont like the little dime to quater hail damage and if im going to paint black all will see with ease. I have two hoods one ok with the front driver side bent up a bit going to smack that back in place If i cant i'll cut it out and replace with fiberglass piece. And i have another hood with hail damge and thats what im working on, just trying to learn how to get out those little dings. No matter how much i yell at it they just won't come out. But thanks all for the responses. I've heard about the dry ice stuff, my uncle used to be a mechaninc/ body man but he has moved up New York so i don't have his help any more. Thanks all for the help.

If you take a car with hail damage to the body shop they are going to a. replace the panel and or b. lay on a thick coat of filler. The best way to have hail damage repaired in my opinion is to find a really good paintless dent repair tech. They can do it without any painting at all. That dry ice myth is just that, a myth!!!

Guest OhioSiGuy
The dry ice does work from what i'm told, Dry ice won't work but its self unless left for several minutes on a little ding, dry ice wont work on a large dent or crease. But it is a method of getting little dents to "pop" up. But the actual method of using dry ice as told my my uncle was to heat up around the dent working in a spiral pattern working you way to the center of the dent. youd heat it up with a butan torch or something (but use a small rose bud), this process will make the metal expand. When it starts to cool it starts to shrink. You are suppoesd to use a "Slapping iron" or a "shriniking hammer", the dry ice helps for even shrinking, this is a good paintless dent removal process. well i havent been able to do so yet. But the dry doesn't work all the time, thats why somemight say its a myth.

hasnt cracked yet...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid14/p7ed0807488f7c6d37716d59beb695aac/fde1538b.jpg.orig.jpg

still didnt crack when the ass hit me

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid15/pb5b7bd2aa54ee8ac041db0ddda0f691c/fde53293.jpg.orig.jpg

if you have any questions thats you need answers just pm me....

USING HEAT TO REMOVE THE DENTS DOES WORK IN SOME INSTANCES, DEPENDING ON THE DENT, BUT IT IS HARDLY "PAINTLESS". WHAT ENDS UP HAPPENING IS YOU END UP WITH SCORCHED PAINT AND METAL, NO BIG DEAL IN ITSELF, BUT IF YOU'RE NOT PLANNING ON PAINTING, DON'T DO IT. HAIL CAN BE REAL TOUGH TO FIX THE CONVENTIONAL ROUTE. WE HAVE BEEN DOING A LOT OF SUBLET WORK TO DENT WIZARD HERE AT OUR SHOP, AND ONLY DOING CONVENTIONAL REPAIRS WHEN DENT WIZARD HAS NO ACCESS, OR THERE ARE SO MANY DENTS THAT IT IS MORE COST EFFECTIVE TO REPLACE THE PANEL. IS YOUR OBJECTIVE TO LEARN TO DO BODY WORK, OR TO LEARN TO PAINT? IF YOU WANT TO LEARN BODYWORK, ABSOLUTELY USE BLACK! IT WILL SHOW ABSOLUTELY EVERY FLAW IN YOUR BODY WORK. IF YOU WANT TO LEARN TO PAINT, START WITH A SILVER, OR A LIGHT METALLIC BLUE. THOSE COLORS HAVE ALMOST NO PIGMENT, AND YOU HAVE TO REALLY CONCENTRATE ON HOW YOU LAY OUT THE METAL FLAKE. AS FAR AS THE HAIL IN THE HOOD, ROUGHLY HOW MANY DENTS ARE THERE? HOW CLOSE TOGETHER ARE THEY, IF THEY ARE FEW AND FAR ENOUGH BETWEEN, FILLER WILL PROBABLY BE ALRIGHT. ALSO, JUST GRINDING, AND SOMETIMES SANDING WITH 80 GRIT PAPER WILL BRING THE DENT UP IF IT IS SHALLOW ENOUGH. MY SHOP HAS DONE OVER 250 HAIL CARS SINCE EASTER, A LOT OF IT HAS BEEN SUBLET TO DENT WIZARD, BUT I DO CONSIDER MYSELF SOMEWHAT OF AN AUTHORITY ON THE SUBJECT OF BODY AND PAINT REPAIR. PM ME WITH QUESTIONS...

Get the dent out with a body hammer and dolly if possible and then use the bondo to fill the rest of the dent. The fillers of yesteryear were very bad for cracking, shrinking, and overall non pliability. Today is a different story with easy to sand fillers that are extremely pliable and durable. For small hail dents I suggest a 2 part glaze filler (evercoat from Autobody Supply, or tech 1 glaze from NAPA) will fill small dents with small sanding efforts. The primer coat and blocking will fill in all the imperfections, and for the beginner I suggest Dupont Sand and Fill which is reduced with Laquer thinner and is good for filling the very small dents etc. Thicker body fillers can be used, and are recommended for larger Above 1/8" dents, but are harder to sand. Black is actually an easy color to paint, but is brings out bad body work very quickly, and white or light colors hide it. It seems that with some of the info that you have been getting that not many people have actually painted or done bodywork before. I would also suggest getting a book and having patience, because bodywork is very laborious and tedious if done right.

Guest OhioSiGuy
Black is only a hard color to paint because any spot you missed pre painting (like body prep), will come out after it is done. Not the laying down the paint. And body work does take along time, a very long time, damn perfection why cant it be so much easier to acheive?